Thread: sziasztok mindenki

Native language
    Russian

sziasztok mindenki

In Hungarian plural is represented by 3rd person conjugation. Peldául - Mindenki jár, három ember áll stb.

If I want to greet everybody can I say "Sziasztok mindenki", or should it be "Szia mindenki"?

Native language
    Czech

Re: Sziasztok mindenki

Szervusz and szia (unlike zdravstvuj in Russian) are not verbs. So you can say "Szia/servusz, mindenki!" (= Hello, everybody!).

Native language
    français - France

I think both are possible with "mindenki": singular form (szia, szervusz) or plural form (sziasztok, szervusztok).
    Do native Hungarians see a difference, maybe in speech style?
    -- Olivier
    Se nem kicsi, se nem nagy: Éppen hozzám való vagy! / Ni trop petit(e), ni trop grand(e): Tu es juste fait(e) pour moi!

Native language
    Hungarian

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier0 View Post
    ... Do native Hungarians see a difference, maybe in speech style?
    I dont't think so, but I don't know ... I say automatically sziasztok, when there are more persons.

As to the origin of -tok, as far as I know, in this case it is a possessive ending, 2.pers. pl., so "szervusztok" meant originally "your servant" (szervusz < Latin servus). Szevasz and szia are from szervusz. See also the old fashioned greeting "Alázatos szolgája (az úrnak, Önnek ...)".

Native language
    Hungarian

I'd say "Szia mindenki" but not "Sziasztok mindenki" .

Native language
    Hungarian

Quote Originally Posted by tomtombp View Post
    I'd say "Szia mindenki" but not "Sziasztok mindenki" .
    Yes, with "mindenki" it sounds better also to me. The "problem" is that I usually don't say "mindenki" so I don't know how should I say it spontaneousely ... Perhaps "Helló, mindenki" .

Native language
    Hungarian - Hungary

You can not grammatically address (talk to) "mindenki" in Hungarian. You'd need to reformulate the sentence so that you don't address this "entity", but you talk about it. Like in a more formal context: "Üdvözlök mindenkit" (I greet everyone) or less formal "Üdv mindenkinek" (Greeting to everyone). In these cases we don't address "mindenki" but talk about it (on grammar level). By addressing, I mean like a vocative usage (comma and naming the entity).

So szia/sziasztok do not go with "mindenki" in any form. Simply "sziasztok".
    "Szia, mindenki" sounds very much like a forced word-by-word translation made by a non-native speaker.

Native language
    Czech

"Szia, mindenki" sounds unnatural in Czech as well. I wonder why a Russian wants to know how to say it in Hungarian. Maybe "Sziasztok, (minden) emberek!" would sound better?

Native language
    Russian

Quote Originally Posted by bibax View Post
    I wonder why a Russian wants to know how to say it in Hungarian.
    Well maybe because I am studying Hungarian, could that be a valid reason?)))
    And for what it's worth in Russian it sounds pretty natural "Всем привет (Hello [to] everybody)".

Native language
    Hungarian

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla View Post
    You can not grammatically address (talk to) "mindenki" in Hungarian. You'd need to reformulate the sentence so that you don't address this "entity", but you talk about it. Like in a more formal context: "Üdvözlök mindenkit" (I greet everyone) or less formal "Üdv mindenkinek" (Greeting to everyone). In these cases we don't address "mindenki" but talk about it (on grammar level). By addressing, I mean like a vocative usage (comma and naming the entity).

So szia/sziasztok do not go with "mindenki" in any form. Simply "sziasztok".
    "Szia, mindenki" sounds very much like a forced word-by-word translation made by a non-native speaker.
    I must agree. All your options sound better than "Szia mindenki", I just wanted to say that if I had to choose between the two original options: "Szia mindenki" and "Sziasztok mindenki", I would definitely prefer the first one.
    Interesting however, that while your "Üdv mindenkinek" sounds good, "Szia mindenkinek" doesn't, although they seem to follow the same grammatical pattern. ("Greetings to everyone" and "Hi/hello to everyone.")

Native language
    Czech

I wonder as "привет or здравствуй, каждый/всякий!" (roughly "szia, mindenki!") must sound unnaturally in Russian, too.

"Всем привет" translates as "Üdv mindenkinek" (more precisely it means "привет каждому́"), it has a different grammatical structure than "здравствуй, каждый!".

Native language
    Hungarian

Quote Originally Posted by bibax View Post
    "Szia, mindenki" sounds unnatural in Czech as well. I wonder why a Russian wants to know how to say it in Hungarian. Maybe "Sziasztok, (minden) emberek!" would sound better?
    Yes, but instead of "Sziasztok emberek" you should narrow down to "Sziasztok srácok" (This only works in Hungarian if all of them are man) or "Sziasztok fiúk/lányok" or "Sziasztok barátaim" to address a mass of people. But this might be a different question because "mindenki" is not involved.

Native language
    Hungarian - Hungary

Gorilla has already given the main answer, just some additions:
    Quote Originally Posted by NagyKiss View Post
    In Hungarian plural is represented by 3rd person conjugation.
    I'm afraid it isn't very clear like that.
    Peéldául - Mindenki jár, három ember áll stb.
    Where is the plural in these examples? The point is exactly that the singular is used where the plural would be needed in some other languages.
    Minden (like every in English) and its derivatives (e.g. mindenki/everybody) goes with the singular (on all levels), like in English. But it cannot be used in every sentence as it is used in English.
    An example for this your suggestion:
    If I want to greet everybody can I say "Sziasztok mindenki", or should it be "Szia mindenki"?
    At least it doesn't sound natural. In such a case a simple Sziasztok!/Szervusztok! would be the normal form.

There is a tendency that I find quite unpleasant when I hear it on the radio. The leader of a program greets the guest speaker this way: Jó reggelt Önnek! This last word makes the whole thing so artificial, so false... But who knows? Maybe this is where our future lies.
    But until then, please, don't bother with "mindenkinek" after a greeting.
    Nem az mutat tudósságot, aki sok nyelven beszél, hanem aki hasznos dolgokat tud mondani rajtuk. (Comenius)

Native language
    Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Zsanna View Post
    Where is the plural in these examples?
    Ehh, not the best example, but "3 people/persons" is plural (not in Hungarian, it is not)
    But I get the point thank you and welcome back to the forums)))