Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Native language
    Italian
    Posts
    1,288

    Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    Could you be so kind to check my translation of the above mentioned sentence?

    Does it mean:

    Remembering that day I felt worried (distressed).
    Remembering that day my heart was grieved.

    I'm definitely confused!

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Aramesh

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    Quote Originally Posted by aramesh View Post
    Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    Could you be so kind to check my translation of the above mentioned sentence?

    Does it mean:

    Remembering that day I felt worried (distressed).
    Remembering that day my heart was grieved.

    I'm definitely confused!

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Aramesh
    Recalling the events of that day was breaking my heart to pieces.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    IRAN, [West Azerbaijan]
    Native language
    Persian & Azerbaijani
    Posts
    4,768

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    Quote Originally Posted by Qureshpor View Post
    Recalling the events of that day was breaking my heart to pieces.
    Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous. Thank you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Native language
    Persian
    Posts
    73

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    قلب is the Arabic equivalent for دل in Persian, hence you may see these words in many texts.

    "Recalling that day, my heart was breaking to pieces."

    Of course, literally فرو ریختن means "falling down" or "collapsing" or something like that, therefore the phrase in overall means recalling that day was difficult to bear by my heart or something like that.

    For breaking heart in Persian mostly we use the verb دل شکستن which is used mostly in romantic situations:

    He broke my heart = او قلب من را شکست = او دل من را شکست

    But by فرو ریختن I guess one means that something was unbearable from different aspects. Anyhow, in overall the translation seems right to me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Native language
    Italian
    Posts
    1,288

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    Thank you all for your kind help!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    I suppose, more idiomatic renderings might be..

    The mere thought of that day was stressing me out.

    The mere thought of that day was tormenting me.

    Recalling the events of that day was heart rending.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Native language
    Italian
    Posts
    1,288

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    I would like to get back to this post because I usually find:

    قلبم فرو ریخت

    I presume it means something like:

    My hearth leaped up.

    Any help?

    Thank you in advance,

    Aramesh

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Native language
    Persian
    Posts
    533

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    Aramesh, could you put your sentence in some sort of a context for us? It would really help us know what the writer was trying to communicate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Native language
    Italian
    Posts
    1,288

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    The whole sentence is the following:

    در همین موقع بابا هم وارد شد قلبم فرو ریخت

    Thank you!

    Aramesh

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Native language
    Persian
    Posts
    533

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    با یادآوری آن روز قلب ام فرو می ریخت

    My understanding and suggestion: the narrator has had a harrowing experience, so much so, that whenever he or she recalls "the day", he/she has a sense of his/her heart giving way.

    در همین موقع بابا هم وارد شد. قلب ام فرو ریخت

    It is not possible to be sure of what situation the narrator finds himself or herself in from so scanty a context; nonetheless, I'd make a guess and translate as: Suddenly Dad, too, walked in. My heart was in my mouth, or ... my heart missed a beat, i.e. I was in dread of something.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Native language
    Italian
    Posts
    1,288

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    Quote Originally Posted by colognial View Post
    با یادآوری آن روز قلب ام فرو می ریخت

    My understanding and suggestion: the narrator has had a harrowing experience, so much so, that whenever he or she recalls "the day", he/she has a sense of his/her heart giving way.

    در همین موقع بابا هم وارد شد. قلب ام فرو ریخت

    It is not possible to be sure of what situation the narrator finds himself or herself in from so scanty a context; nonetheless, I'd make a guess and translate as: Suddenly Dad, too, walked in. My heart was in my mouth, or ... my heart missed a beat, i.e. I was in dread of something.
    I agree with your interpretation, colognial.

    I think that the narrator was scared, terrified by the sudden arrival of his/her father.

    Is this expression (قلب ام فرو ریخت) not so common in Persian?

    Thanks in advance for your kind reply,

    Aramesh

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Native language
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Posts
    5,533

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    The best definition was presented by Qureshpor. Normally we will say قلبم ريخت or in colloquial, قلبم افتاد كف پام. Suppose that you are alone in a room, merging in your thoughts. Suddenly, a person will say you: "Hi" from your back. Woow! You will jump up 3 meter surely. Now you can say:

    چه مرگته؟! اين چه طرز سلام كردنه؟ قلبم ريخت/افتاد كف پام!ا

    Another example:
    Suppose that there is a cake in your refrigerator. It is for your wife's birthday. No one can eat it to all of the gusts arrive, but you can not wait some more. You should take a piece now, but no one should see you during this work. You are completely aware that eat a little bit of it stealthy. Ok! there is not any person seeing you. With a complete precaution, you will open the refrigerator's door and put your finger on the cake. Suddenly your wife's sound is heard exactly from the back of your head: "What are you doing?"! I'm sure you can imagined the person's feeling at this situation. It is فروريختن قلب and the person can say:

    تا انگشتمو كردم توي كيك، يكهو زنم از راه رسيد و قلب ريخت/افتاد كف پام
    Don't be happy of other people miserableness, because you don't know what circulation time has in store for you. (Imam Ali)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Native language
    Italian
    Posts
    1,288

    Re: Persian: قلبم با یادآوری آن روز فرو میریخت

    Quote Originally Posted by searcher123 View Post
    The best definition was presented by Qureshpor. Normally we will say قلبم ريخت or in colloquial, قلبم افتاد كف پام. Suppose that you are alone in a room, merging in your thoughts. Suddenly, a person will say you: "Hi" from your back. Woow! You will jump up 3 meter surely. Now you can say:

    چه مرگته؟! اين چه طرز سلام كردنه؟ قلبم ريخت/افتاد كف پام!ا

    Another example:
    Suppose that there is a cake in your refrigerator. It is for your wife's birthday. No one can eat it to all of the gusts arrive, but you can not wait some more. You should take a piece now, but no one should see you during this work. You are completely aware that eat a little bit of it stealthy. Ok! there is not any person seeing you. With a complete precaution, you will open the refrigerator's door and put your finger on the cake. Suddenly your wife's sound is heard exactly from the back of your head: "What are you doing?"! I'm sure you can imagined the person's feeling at this situation. It is فروريختن قلب and the person can say:

    تا انگشتمو كردم توي كيك، يكهو زنم از راه رسيد و قلب ريخت/افتاد كف پام
    Thank you for your detailed explanation...I felt like I was there peeping at the the guy with his fingers on the cake!!!

    Aramesh

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •