Thread: As a devout Anglican, he was an outspoken enemy of the......

Native language
    Persian & Azerbaijani

As a devout Anglican, he was an outspoken enemy of the......

<< deleted >> In 1773 he (Boswell) persuaded Johnson to join him in a tour of the Highlands and the Hebrides. Almost every aspect of the adventure should have made it impossible, or at least unpleasant. Johnson, far from young and after years of sedentary city living, found himself astride a horse in wild country or in open boats in autumn weather. As a devout Anglican, he was an outspoken enemy of the Presbyterian church, the national church of Scotland.

Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, James Boswell (1740-1795)

Hello teachers,

The blue word (he) refers to James Boswell or Samuel Johnson?

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Andygc; 31st July 2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Excessive quotation
    Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous. Thank you.

Native language
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese

Re: As a devout Anglican, he was an outspoken enemy of the......

The previous sentence was about Samuel Johnson. The Anglican referred to must be Johnson as well. (And from the context, we know that Johnson lived in London and had come up to Scotland. At that time, most Englishmen would be Anglicans.)
    Connection is all.

Native language
    English - South-East England

Boswell wasn't mentioned at all in the previous sentence, so it would be safe to assume 'he' at that point can only mean Johnson. But this can often be very difficult to decide. It sometimes needs world knowledge, or even guessing. Boswell, for example, at one point in his youth converted to Roman Catholicism, so I happen to know he couldn't be described as a devout Anglican.

cross-posted

Native language
    Persian & Azerbaijani

Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous. Thank you.

Native language
    English - British

Besides the grammatical reason already mentioned, the context also shows that it refers to Johnson.

The sentence is giving a further reason why Johnson might have been expected to dislike the trip.