Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Internet" vs. "the Internet"

Native language
    English, USA

"Internet" vs. "the Internet"

If your language has definite articles, do you normally use an article with the word "Internet", or your language's equivalent thereof? I.e., do you use a phrase that means "the Internet", or simply "Internet"?

In English, Internet is normally usually used with a definite article: "I looked it up on the Internet", "The article is on The Internet now", etc. On the other hand, I've heard that it's considered incorrect to say L'Internet in French: instead, one is supposed to say Internet, without the definite article l(e).

Native language
    Hebrew

Re: "Internet" vs. "the Internet"

In hebrew not every translation of english 'the' is to the hebrew definite article... so besides that yes.
    All the seats are taken in the parliament of fools!

Native language
    Greek

Hi Gavril,

Modern Greek uses the definite article much more frequently than the classical language, before proper names, and nouns in an abstract sense.
    Internet in Greek is «Διαδίκτυο» [ði.a'ðikti.o] (neut.) a word calqued from the English one, and we refer to it as the-neuter Internet --> «το Διαδίκτυο». Even if the English name is used untranslated, the neuter definite article is there --> «το Ίντερνετ»
    Les Grecs sont étonnants dans l'adversité - François Pouqueville

Native language
    Italian

Hi, Gavril

No definite article in Italian. We say "Ho visto l'articolo in Internet" or "Ho trovato l'articolo in rete".

Native language
    Belgium, Dutch

Dutch: both can be used, I think. Generally I'd say that I found something op internet, but if I'd generally wish to refer to the phenomenon, then het internet would be possible, the worldwide web world then...

Native language
    Portuguese (Portugal)

In Portuguese, a Internet, "the Internet". We use the English noun with the feminine article, no doubt because the word rede "net/network" is feminine, and it's understood on some level. In fact, sometimes "the (inter)net" is actually translated as a rede.
    Deuparth gwaith yw ei ddechrau.

Native language
    Frisian, Dutch and Low Saxon

it ynternet in West Frisian

Native language
    Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)

Quote Originally Posted by Anja.Ann View Post
    Hi, Gavril

No definite article in Italian. We say "Ho visto l'articolo in Internet" or "Ho trovato l'articolo in rete".
    Same for Spanish: Busqué el artículo en internet. Lo vi en internet.
    Username: Suzumiya. 所詮この世は弱肉強食。強ければ生き、弱ければ死ぬ。-志々雄真実

Native language
    English, USA

Quote Originally Posted by 涼宮 View Post
    Same for Spanish: Busqué el artículo en internet. Lo vi en internet.
    red is generally used with an article, isn't it? (Lo busqué en la red = "I searched for it on the 'net", etc.) However, I don't think red is as widely used in Spanish as Internet for this meaning.

Native language
    Finland, Finnish

Quote Originally Posted by Gavril View Post
    However, I don't think red is as widely used in Spanish as Internet for this meaning.
    As far as I have seen in Spanish newspapers, it's always Red and practically never Internet.

In Finnish, as you surely know, there's no equivalent for "the". Instead, we have the possibility to consider the word as a proper noun or a common noun by using an upper case or a lower case letter for the initial i. Both are possible but I think that the lower case i is recommended today.

Instead, in the Spanish newspapers that I have read it's always Red, not red.

Native language
    Turkish

Quote Originally Posted by Hakro View Post
    In Finnish, as you surely know, there's no equivalent for "the". Instead, we have the possibility to consider the word as a proper noun or a common noun by using an upper case or a lower case letter for the initial i. Both are possible but I think that the lower case i is recommended today.
    Idem for Turkish.

Native language
    Russian

There are no articles in Russian, but the same problem exists as capitalize it or not.
    Till the recent time it was recommended to capitalize Internet when used in the sense of the worldwide web, i.e. proper object name (like the Moon and the Sun). However nowadays it is reckoned to become the common name and is not capitalized any more.

Native language
    Serbian

Absolutely the same thing goes for Serbian. The latest Orthography book from 2010 mentions only internet, lowercase.

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by Gavril View Post
    red is generally used with an article, isn't it? (Lo busqué en la red = "I searched for it on the 'net", etc.) However, I don't think red is as widely used in Spanish as Internet for this meaning.
    Yep, it isn't that used and it does use the article. The times I've seen the word 'red' being used have been at cybercafes, ''juega en red''. But nothing else.

Native language
    Finland, Finnish

Quote Originally Posted by 涼宮 View Post
    Yep, it isn't that used and it does use the article. The times I've seen the word 'red' being used have been at cybercafes, ''juega en red''. But nothing else.
    According to this, it seems that 'red' is seldom if ever used in American Spanish, but I've seen it generally used in Castellano.

Am I right or wrong?

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by Hakro View Post
    According to this, it seems that 'red' is seldom if ever used in American Spanish, but I've seen it generally used in Castellano.

Am I right or wrong?
    No idea if it's common in Spain. It's better if you ask in the Spanish forum.

Native language
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)

We use our usual definite article in Arabic.
    الإنترنت - Al-Intarnit.
    اذكر الله

Native language
    Hungarian

Today I found it interesting some languages use the preposition "in" like German or Russian.

Hungarian --- az interneten [on the...]

German --- im Internet [in the...]
    [ɒkinɛk humorɒ vɒn, mindɛnˤtud, ɒkinɛk niŋʧ, mindɛnrɛ ke.pɛʃ]

Native language
    French (lower Normandy)

In French, in theory, both are possible (internet / l'internet, capitalized or not) but usually, you are either a fierce defender of 'internet' and deny the possibility of 'l'internet' or vice versa (see this heated discussion in the French only forum: Internet / l'internet) but you usually can't like both versions at the same time.
    (personally, I find that 'l'internet' is something that only old people would say but hush )

Native language
    Russian & German (GER) bilingual

In French, I use sometimes the one, sometims the other, but I think I go for the general French tendency to use the definite article even with rather abstract nouns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast