Thread: Barak

Native language
    Denmark, Danish

Barak

Hello all,

Can anyone confirm or reject that "barak" can mean "patina" (the magical quality things acquire after long use and care)?

Source is:
    http://books.google.dk/books?id=LU3F...hetics&f=false

I thought that the root برق could be the source, but I'm not quite convinced. It's a better shot than برك...

Thanks and best regards

Native language
    Arabic

Re: Barak

Do you mean something that is shinny ?
    bareeq = بريق
    إن كنت ريحاً فقد لاقيت إعصاراً

Native language
    Arabic

I couldn't find this word in Arabic that means "patina", "the magical quality things acquire after long use and care", or "the quality of an object that has passed through many hands". All I know is that there is a difference between the Jewish name Barak and the Swahili name Bara(c)k.

The Jewish name Barak means, or is derived from, "lightning" (برق). Note the letter ق. Now, while the Biblical judge Barak (Judges 4) is rendered باراق (with ق) in the Arabic Bible, the Israeli polititian Ehud Barak's name is rendered إيهود باراك in Arabic, following the English rendering.

It's generally believed that President Barack Obama's first name in Swahili is derived from the Arabic word بارك (to bless). Note the difference: it has a ك rather than a ق; two different letters in Arabic.

Check this Wikipedia article.

Native language
    Denmark, Danish

I tend to think that the source has been mistaken. It states "...according to Robert Graves in a lecture I once heard, is called barak by the Arabs". It's like a third hand hearsay...

An explanation from the برق root could work if one understands "patina" as shiny, but that's not really precise. Patina is more like the beutiful surface appearance old stuff have after long use. Back-translating to Arabic gives غشاء العتق.

Native language
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)

Might it be بركة?
    اذكر الله

Native language
    Denmark, Danish

Maybe a misunderstanding of the word بركة by the source. If say a thing or a tool or even a pair of hands produces without breaking it has baraka and is kept and cherished because of that. Maybe the source misinterprets the direction of causality. Barak(a) is not something that comes with age, but if stuff has barak(a) it is kept for ages?

Native language
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)

It could be some obscured word relived to it, براك or something.
    اذكر الله