Thread: Bulgarian: възсепва

Native language
    Macedonian

Bulgarian: възсепва

In the fifth stanza of the Bulgarian poem "Ний" by Христо Смирненски, I have encountered the word "възсепва" and can't figure out what it means. When I google it, all of the results are simply links to the poem. I tried finding the word in online dictionaries, but it doesn't seem to be included. Maybe it's because I should search for a different form of the verb, such as the perfective one, but I don't know any other forms. So, could someone tell me what this word means? The context in the poem in which it appears is the following:

... надвисва ураган и в громкия му зов

преплитат се ведно омраза и любов,
    а майката земя възсепва се сама,
    потъпкала греха, отърсила срама.

P.S. The stanza has five lines, but the forum rules only allow for the posting of four, so I have omitted the first one.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by 123xyz; 14th September 2013 at 1:10 PM. Reason: Typographical error

Native language
    Bulgarian & English

Re: Bulgarian: възсепва

In a case like this, I would look up the root of the word and the prefix separately and try to make sense of the meaning when put together. "Сепва се" (it's important that the се is included) means to become shocked/stressed, to come to one's senses, or to wake up in a figurative sense. The prefix "въз-" can indicated a repeated action, an action leading to a result, an action on an object, or an action that creates a new quality depending on the root of the verb. In this context, I would say that "възсепва се" means that mother Earth has become shocked/stressed into figuratively waking up, as a result of the sin and shame that was held back.

Now I am by no means a literary scholar so take my interpretation with a grain of salt but those are some of the connotations that "възсепва" brings up.

Native language
    Macedonian

Re: Bulgarian: възсепва

Thank you for the answer,

It does make sense that that should be the meaning of the word. Now I see that it has the same root as Macedonian "се сепне", so I have an idea of the connotations that the word bears.