Thread: They are so sentimental together, but I'd rather be sentimental on my own

Native language
    Chinese

They are so sentimental together, but I'd rather be sentimental on my own

这里是一个英文句子:“They are so sentimental together, but I'd rather be sentimental on my own." 这个句子中的sentimental翻译成中文用什么字眼比较好?这个句子怎么翻译比较好?( 不知道发这样的问题符合不符合论坛规则,如果不符合就请管理员删除好了。)谢谢!
    A black cat rescued a white cat from the river. Do you know what the white cat said to the black cat then? The white cat said: "Meow..."

Native language
    English (UK)

Re: Translate "sentimental" in this sentence into chinese

Did you get the sentence from a book? Always give the source to help people to understand your question.
    Anyway, this is not a kind of sentence you'd use without special context, so the word "sentimental" is not used in the normal way and you'll need the context to understand it. Here is my understanding of the sentence in the context I found it: :"They are so nice together, but I'd rather be on my own (ie, they're not nice to me)."

Native language
    Chinese

Re: Translate "sentimental" in this sentence into chinese

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolijie View Post
    Did you get the sentence from a book? Always give the source to help people to understand your question.Anyway, this is not a kind of sentence you'd use without special context, so the word "sentimental" is not used in the normal way and you'll need the context to understand it. Here is my understanding of the sentence in the context I found it: :"They are so nice together, but I'd rather be on my own (ie, they're not nice to me)."
    Thanks! "They are so sentimental together, but I'd rather be sentimental on my own. They are always saying how nice it is with the four of us, and that we get along so well, without giving a moment's thought to the fact that I don't feel that way. " (quoted from "the diary of a young girl" by Anne Frank translated by SusanMassotty) "they" in this context refers to the other family members of the author ("I").
    A black cat rescued a white cat from the river. Do you know what the white cat said to the black cat then? The white cat said: "Meow..."

Native language
    Chinese

Re: Sentimental

Thanks xiaolijie! I thought sentimental in this sentence is used in a normal way as a normal meaning, which I've not known yet, other than “多愁善感”. But since it's the case you said, this wouldn't be a big problem to me then.

Native language
    Chinese Cantonese

Quote Originally Posted by Hihowareyou View Post
    这个句子中的sentimental翻译成中文用什么字眼比较好?
    浪漫

Native language
    Mandarin

Quote Originally Posted by BODYholic View Post
    浪漫
    我一直和楼主有同样的疑惑。
    原来可以翻译成「浪漫」!这样就解释得通了!
    再一次证明不能靠字典。
    Correct my Chinglish please!

Native language
    Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Myridon View Post
    The Bible, King James Version, Isaiah 3:15
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperXW View Post
    我一直和楼主有同样的疑惑。原来可以翻译成「浪漫」!这样就解释得通了!再一次证明不能靠字典。
    浪漫?浪漫只用来形容男女之间的爱情,这里写的是家庭成员之间的关系,用浪漫好像不是很合适吧?

Native language
    Mandarin

Quote Originally Posted by Hihowareyou View Post
    浪漫?浪漫只用来形容男女之间的爱情,这里写的是家庭成员之间的关系,用浪漫好像不是很合适吧?
    所以小丽姐问source。家人当然就不翻译成「浪漫」了。"nice"或「好」应该就可以表达了。
    根据情况,应该有不少翻译的选择,比如「他们在一起那么合拍/那么有情调/那么粘/那么多话说/那么默契……」「我还是孤芳自赏吧!」
    你这出自圣经吗?去查查不同译本?
    Last edited by SuperXW; 21st September 2013 at 7:15 AM.
    Correct my Chinglish please!

Native language
    Chinese

呃。是出自的荷兰语《安妮日记》的英译本。刚刚在网上查了一下中文翻译,译成了“温情”。谢了!

Native language
    English (UK)

"温情" sounds good, and is compatible with "(They're) so nice together (= tender towards one another)" that I proposed earlier.
    Last edited by xiaolijie; 21st September 2013 at 8:56 AM.