Thread: eipähän

Native language
    English, USA

eipähän

Päivää,

How does the "-pähän" in eipähän affect the meaning of the sentence below?

– Olen ollut tässä kuusi ja puoli vuotta, ja eipähän ole tullut aikaisemmin vastaan, Pipatti sanoo.
    "'I have been here six and a half years, and [...]', says Pipatti"

Kiitos

Native language
    Portuguese - Brazil

Re: eipähän

There's also siinäpähän, which seems to be a very commonly used word with the same combination of particles.

Native language
    Italia, italiano

Could it be "and I've never run into it/him/her"?

As far as I understand the sentence would be –Olen ollut tässä kuusi ja puoli vuotta, ja (se/hän) ei ole tullut aikasemmin vastaan. Pähän should only be an there as an exclamation...

What do Finns say?

Native language
    Finnish

I don't detect any real difference in meaning between ei and eipähän in your sentence. Eipähän makes the speaker's opinion slightly more emphatic.

Native language
    Finnish

Yeah, like Marsario said. It doesn't particularly affect the meaning at all. It merely affects the feeling of the sentence, making it less severe sounding, though it doesn't change the fact it's still negative. It would work similarly with just "-pä" (eipä). I guess Pipatti used the longest possible form of "ei" to downplay the negative answer. Technically "-pa/pä" stenghtens a sentence, "-han/hän" mellows it, but the streghtening part doesn't really show when used with "ei".

Thus, you could also drop the "-pähän" away entirely and the general message would still be exactly the same. It's not really an independently working sentence, though. It only works as an answer to something.

Native language
    English, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Spongiformi View Post
    It's not really an independently working sentence, though. It only works as an answer to something.
    Is this because of the -pähän, or because the sentence has no explicit subject (ei [se?] ole tullut aikaisemmin vastaan)?

Thanks to everyone for their answers.

Native language
    Finnish

Quote Originally Posted by Gavril View Post
    because the sentence has no explicit subject (ei [se?] ole tullut aikaisemmin vastaan)?
    That.