Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Are Americans amazingly polite?

Native language
    Русский

Re: Are Americans amazingly polite?

Quote Originally Posted by Solbrillante View Post
    Isn't it possible that the "people we care about" just might happen to be people, all people because they are people?
    No. Only if self-deceiving; real care takes a lot. A lot of wisdom, first of all; it'd be so much oh how hard work... And not just that.
    Last edited by Ёж!; 31st August 2013 at 11:59 AM.

Native language
    USA Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by jinti View Post
    Questions I've actually been asked by virtual strangers (though not with cameras and microphones yet):

Don't you have a gun?
    (Verbal response: No, I never have and I never will. [smile]
    Mental response: No, or I'd be using it on you right now.)

¿Por qué la gente en este país no sabe hablar otro idioma?
    Why don't people in this country know how to speak any other language?
    (Verbal response: Mmm, será que no le hace falta. Mmm, I guess they don't need to.
    Mental response: Um, am I the only one who realizes we're speaking Spanish right now?)

Why haven't you gotten rid of Bush?
    (Verbal response: I really couldn't tell you. [smile and shrug]
    Mental response: Well, I can't get rid of you -- what makes you think I could get rid of him?)

[sirens nearby]
    Now THAT'S the REAL New York, right?
    (Verbal response: Fire trucks and an ambulance? I suppose so -- you do hear them from time to time....
    Mental response: Let me get this straight -- you thought those were police sirens and you were GLAD? That's somebody's misfortune there....)

And the list goes on.

To be fair, I'm sure there have been people in my past who were just being polite in the face of my own unintentionally rude questions, too, so I try to remember that when I feel impatient. It keeps my tongue more civil.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Native language
    USA Northeast

Americans are extremely polite with lots of yes, sir, thank you, excuse me and refuse confrontation with those who visibly disagree with them and won't be changing their minds. It's part of the feel good politically correct culture a few generations have grown up with. There is also a greater difference between what Americans say and do than in other cultures. Most Americans don't have a "protest/strike" culture that exists in other places. In fact, they are taught that it is rude to cause conflict.
    Of course, you can find examples contradicting everything I say.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Native language
    American English

Quote Originally Posted by jennijenni View Post
    I'm glad you perceive that Americans are polite. As I've travelled abroad, I've noticed that my fellow Americans have typically been quite rude, intolerant and demanding.

Why do Americans tolerate intrusive questions? We like to talk about ourselves. :-)
    I've also unfortunately observed the "ugly American" abroad a few times. I think I can explain the paradox.

Most Americans never leave the country, or at least never go beyond North America. There are many, many people here who are afraid to travel to a non-English speaking country, because they fear that they won't be able to communicate properly, and thus might end up saying something that offends the local people.

On the other hand, the Americans who do travel abroad tend to be more self-confident, either because they do know the language of the place they're visiting, or because they just figure that everyone they meet will speak English (and at a fast, conversational level). It's the latter group that often gets into trouble and hurts our reputation abroad.

Native language
    English-USA-Southern

Quote Originally Posted by .,, View Post
    G'day Cultur@s
    I have seen situations where American people have been amazingly polite when being asked impertinently bigotted, offensively phrased questions about American culture by someone who they were led to believe was a total stranger to American culture.
    It was obvious that the Americans were utterly offended but they kept smiling and endured the questioning with non-responsive answers or bland rebuttals.

How would you react?

Did any of the Americans perchance respond with a sickeningly sweet " "well, bless your heart."

Native language
    High German/Danish

If you look like your avatar-photo I surely woud avoid making offensive remarks about Americans and be especially polite when talking about Texans.

But there are ugly-*nationality of choice" everywhere. The real problem is probably that the USA and its politics has such an impact almost everywhere on this planet and there are so many idiots who believe they are entitled to hold every single American they meet on their way responsible for everything ...

... just like there are idiots who think they can hold every German responsible for things that happened two or three generations ago.

Most travellers I have noticed try to stay diplomatic and not escalate things, when they meet such people.

(Did they use a defibrilator to reanimate this thread?)

Native language
    English-USA-Southern

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia View Post
    If you look like your avatar-photo I surely woud avoid making offensive remarks about Americans and be especially polite when talking about Texans.

But there are ugly-*nationality of choice" everywhere. The real problem is probably that the USA and its politics has such an impact almost everywhere on this planet and there are so many idiots who believe they are entitled to hold every single American they meet on their way responsible for everything ...

... just like there are idiots who think they can hold every German responsible for things that happened two or three generations ago.

Most travellers I have noticed try to stay diplomatic and not escalate things, when they meet such people.

(Did they use a defibrilator to reanimate this thread?)
    Haaa!!! I am the guilty party in resuscitating this thread.

I have to agree with your post. Most people are polite and understand that you should always treat people as an individual and not engage in stereotypes and bigotry. It goes against our human nature but we must try.

I have met so many wonderful people from other countries. It would have been a pity to alienate them with holding them personally responsible for things done by politicians.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678