Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexism in the World

Native language
    English, USA

Re: Sexism in the World

Okay. You win. I tip my hat in defeat.

So do you consider personal questions okay to ask in an interview?
    If not me, then who? If not now, then when?

Native language
    imithe

Quote Originally Posted by Poetic Device View Post

No, and as far as I know any such questions which might elicit answers about having children, or tending to sick relatives or such like are illegal in Irish employment law.

Native language
    England, English

I don't consider deeply personal questions to be appropriate in an interview. Questions such as, "Do you have a boyfriend?" for example.

However, to gauge a prospective employee's potential, I fully approve of asking questions about interests and hobbies. This gives the candidate an opporunity to speak at some length and can give the employer a clue as to the personality of the candidate.

LRV

Last edited by la reine victoria; 23rd January 2007 at 10:27 PM.

moving around - a Brit who's hardly ever lived in the UK
    Native language
    British English, Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Venezuelan_sweetie View Post
    1. Does this happen in your culture?
    Are you kidding me?! Yes, it happens. Latin America does not have this reputation of being the land of chauvinism just out of nothing! Venezuela is a crazy mingle, and an eternal contradiction (see why I'm like this, guys? ), so you have both discrimination, and sexist/anti-sexist (is there any difference?) 'responses' to such discrimination.

-How often?
    Every day.
    This woman has not been to Russia as yet. But, seriously, this is interesting. I always had an impression at the same time that Latin American sexism is very different in its nature from let`s say, Arabic. Latin American women, quite similarly to Russian women, tend to be very strong at once, they often bring up children on their own while making a career and many seem to be rather...assertive, even bossy.
    It takes great courage to speak out loud about things which on the quiet are known to everybody.

Native language
    Venezuela --> Spanish -or something alik

Quote Originally Posted by Setwale_Charm View Post
    This woman has not been to Russia as yet. But, seriously, this is interesting. I always had an impression at the same time that Latin American sexism is very different in its nature from let`s say, Arabic. Latin American women, quite similarly to Russian women, tend to be very strong at once, they often bring up children on their own while making a career and many seem to be rather...assertive, even bossy.
    Well, I don't personally know too many women from Russia (and even if I did, is that a basis for a generalization?).

Our society is very, very chauvinist, but yet, it is a matriarchy (am I using this word correctly? ).

Down here, women must be super-women and be in charge of everything. It is women's duty to be always: pretty, great employee/boss, perfect housewife, better mother, even better wife/girlfriend/lover/mistress/whatever-the-man-in-her-life-wants, smart, graduated from at least one universitarian career, in perfect body shape, and of course be careful not to have wrinkles, nor stretch-marks, nor god-forbid cellulitis! And even being so impossibly perfect (if no nerve collapse beats the poor girl in the meantime), it is still socially acceptable for the man to have another woman, you know, just in case...

The result: some (well, a considerable amount) of Venezuelan women are what here we call "cuaimas" (a species of snake ). That is, stunning women with integral personalities and countless capacities, that generally scare out men, or at least, dominate the ones who dare to come any close. The amazing thing is that you can find "cuaimas" everywhere, talking to their girlfriends and telling things like "Of course I didn't take that! You know I'm a cuaima, so I almost swallowed him alive!! No man ain't taking me for no fool!"

-- PS: Again, just vox populi, not my personal opinion... --

Quote Originally Posted by maxiogee View Post
    No, and as far as I know any such questions which might elicit answers about having children, or tending to sick relatives or such like are illegal in Irish employment law.
    Those questions are illegal here, too. But since the whole legal system is nothing but a big black spot of corruption in this land of bureaucratic nepotism, it is of no use to even mind the question...

By the way, I'm trying to remember one single job interview in which I have not been asked "are you married?", "do you have a boyfriend?", or "do you have any children?", and I think the only one was precisely the one I had with my current boss. Ironically, I am about to get married and will probably switch to a part-time job...
    Last edited by Venezuelan_sweetie; 24th January 2007 at 4:42 PM. Reason: Sorry for the typos, I haven't slept at all in two days...
    Incipiente, como las muelas del juicio.

Native language
    English, USA

I have been asked if I had any children, but that was when I was 16!

I'm trying to figure out how and how often men are discriminated against when it comes to a profession. I know it happens... Can I hear from that?

Native language

I'm trying to figure out how and how often men are discriminated against when it comes to a profession. I know it happens... Can I hear from that?
    Not in Venezuela, I think. Or at least, not that I've heard of. Women are (in general lines) responsible for the kids, the housekeeping, sick relatives, and every other thing that an employer could possibly "concern" about, so what could possibly be the basis of discrimination against men?

Although there are some professions that are considered "women's stuff" (see post Nº 38), but it's not like the future employer would ask the male applicant "are you gay?", or something like that...
    Last edited by Venezuelan_sweetie; 24th January 2007 at 8:20 PM. Reason: Ok, I take it... I shouldn't try to type before having a proper night of sleep (surely this sentence is phrased wrongly, too)

Native language
    England, English

There have been quite a few kerfuffles in the UK on religious grounds. Muslim women are not allowed to be intimately examined by a male doctor, even if he were the top obstetrician/gynaecologist in the land.

So, if a female doctor isn't available, the patient has to be sent to a hospital where there is one.

This is discrimination within a profession. But if that is the Muslim way, then I see nothing wrong with it.

LRV

Native language
    Portuguese (Portugal)

I always had an impression at the same time that Latin American sexism is very different in its nature from let`s say, Arabic. Latin American women, quite similarly to Russian women, tend to be very strong at once, they often bring up children on their own while making a career and many seem to be rather...assertive, even bossy.
    I'd wager that that's a relatively recent thing. In the old days, Latin women were very much put (well, forced into) 'their place'.
    Deuparth gwaith yw ei ddechrau.

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    I'd wager that that's a relatively recent thing. In the old days, Latin women were very much put (well, forced into) 'their place'.
    It depends on what you call "recent". For more information, check out this link. It started as a joke (in Spanish), but it turned more and more serious with every post (and more and more English was added in, too).

moving around - a Brit who's hardly ever lived in the UK
    Native language
    British English, Russian
    Quote Originally Posted by la reine victoria View Post
    There have been quite a few kerfuffles in the UK on religious grounds. Muslim women are not allowed to be intimately examined by a male doctor, even if he were the top obstetrician/gynaecologist in the land.

So, if a female doctor isn't available, the patient has to be sent to a hospital where there is one.

This is discrimination within a profession. But if that is the Muslim way, then I see nothing wrong with it.

LRV
    Provided they do not impose it on others. But there is another problem of many women wanting to integrate and not wanting it the same old way anf trying to break away form the tradition and that brings them many problems, on the Continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Venezuelan_sweetie View Post
    Well, I don't personally know too many women from Russia (and even if I did, is that a basis for a generalization?).

Our society is very, very chauvinist, but yet, it is a matriarchy (am I using this word correctly? ).

Down here, women must be super-women and be in charge of everything. It is women's duty to be always: pretty, great employee/boss, perfect housewife, better mother, even better wife/girlfriend/lover/mistress/whatever-the-man-in-her-life-wants, smart, graduated from at least one universitarian career, in perfect body shape, and of course be careful not to have wrinkles, nor stretch-marks, nor god-forbid cellulitis! And even being so impossibly perfect (if no nerve collapse beats the poor girl in the meantime), it is still socially acceptable for the man to have another woman, you know, just in case...

The result: some (well, a considerable amount) of Venezuelan women are what here we call "cuaimas" (a species of snake ). That is, stunning women with integral personalities and countless capacities, that generally scare out men, or at least, dominate the ones who dare to come any close. The amazing thing is that you can find "cuaimas" everywhere, talking to their girlfriends and telling things like "Of course I didn't take that! You know I'm a cuaima, so I almost swallowed him alive!! No man ain't taking me for no fool!"
    Why, but this is almost exactly the way it is in Russia!! I guess, the pattern is the same anywhere and such social mentalities always include the same attitudes. It is also prestigious to treat a man like a child and a fool, to take advantage of him.
    And here is a lot victimization of the weaker, milder women despite the fact that they allegedly crave for such. And when these young women are completely "spoilt" by the pressure and become real "B-I-T-C-H", they complain about women not being womanly. And older women are even worse towards younger and weaker women. And sexism is always both ways in reality.

P.S. And is not sleeping for two days part of the social requirement for Venezuelan women?
    Last edited by cherine; 25th January 2007 at 1:07 PM. Reason: Merging two consecutive posts. Please make use of the multi-quoting function. Thanks :)
    It takes great courage to speak out loud about things which on the quiet are known to everybody.

Native language

Why, but this is almost exactly the way it is in Russia!! I guess, the pattern is the same anywhere and such social mentalities always include the same attitudes. (...) And older women are even worse towards younger and weaker women. And sexism is always both ways in reality.
    Well, yes. More and more women (all over the world, I mean) are dragged into this "culture" every day (although "dragged" wouldn't be the most fitting word to describe the attitude of many women... ).

The funny thing about Venezuelan women being this way (yes, a generalization indeed) is that the whole culture kind of propiciates such attitude. There are some certain behaviors that are socially accepted in here, which are not accepted (at least not so openly) in other places around the globe. I'm talking about some sort of moral codes that allow people to do virtually whatever they want (especially on the field of abusing on other people's rights), but I think that belongs to a different thread...
    Last edited by ireney; 25th January 2007 at 5:55 PM. Reason: deleted the chatty part

Native language
    English, USA

Sexism in the worl

How about when the rules, regulations, and requirements are lowered? (Example: part of the United States military requirements have gone down because women wanted to join the fighting ranks yet were not able to carry 200 pounds on their back.) I feel that this is reverse discrimination towards the people (mostly men) that can do the job they way it should and needs to be. Am I wrong in this thinking?
    Last edited by cherine; 26th January 2007 at 9:34 PM. Reason: Oops ! mistake. Sorry.

Native language
    imithe

How about when the rules, regulations, and requirements are lowered? (Example: part of the United States military requirements have gone down because women wanted to join the fighting ranks yet were not able to carry 200 pounds on their back.) I feel that this is reverse discrimination towards the people (mostly men) that can do the job they way it should and needs to be. Am I wrong in this thinking?
    Well, sometimes one needs to ask why a 'requirement' for applicants exists. Is there a need for soldiers to be able to carry 200 lbs on their backs? Is there a need for them to be over a certain height?

Soldiering isn't what it used to be back when the requirements were established - nor are many other jobs.

Native language
    English (American)

I suspect that (a) there are many positions in the U.S. military that do not depend on the ability to carry 200 pounds on one's back, and (b) the U.S. military is not turning away able-bodied men because of this change. I do recall there was a movemet some time back to re-evaluate the long-standing "rules, regulations, and requirements" of certain job positions to ensure that said Rs were not needless barriers to the participation of females or any other traditionally under-represented groups. In instances where the Rs weren't really necessary, they often were changed.
    Va', pensiero, sull'ali dorate.

Native language
    English, USA

They may not be turning-away able bodied men because of the regulation changes and all that, but they are allowing people that I feel will endanger the survival of the company/unit. I hate to say it and sound like a witch, but most of those people that don't have any right being there are the women. (I do not mean that no woman should be there, what I mean is if you want to be in the military, that is fine, but you have to do everything that the men have to do. The war does not stop because you have to change your tamopn.)

Native language
    British English

Would you kindly explain what evidence you have for the statement, "most of those people that don't have any right being there are the women"? and what evidence you have that a female soldier would think that a war would stop because of her period?

Native language

They may not be turning-away able bodied men because of the regulation changes and all that, but they are allowing people that I feel will endanger the survival of the company/unit. I hate to say it and sound like a witch, but most of those people that don't have any right being there are the women. (I do not mean that no woman should be there, what I mean is if you want to be in the military, that is fine, but you have to do everything that the men have to do. The war does not stop because you have to change your tampon.)
    No, you don't sound like a witch. At least, not to me. I agree with you, darling. In fact, that's what I've been saying, ever since post Nº38, especially this part:
    For example, if a woman really wants to be, say, a firefighter, she likes the profession, considers all the pros and cons, prepares herself physically as well as professionally and psychologically for it, then why the heck not? But if she is not prepared for it, then why the heck doing it? Again, wouldn't this apply to men as well?

I know plenty of women who are ten times better prepared than many men to be a police officer, a trainperson, a taxi driver, or any other job that is considered to be "for men only". I just can't understand why in the world not giving those women the chance, and giving it to an underprepared guy, just because he's a man! But also, it would be a mistake giving an underprepared woman the job just because she is a woman and "thou shalt not be sexist".
    PS: I might be totally wrong (I haven't done any research on the matter yet), but I thought female soldiers were given pills based on hormons in order to control (temporarily supress) their period. I know for sure female astronauts do get those pills while on duty (imagine having your period with no gravity!), so maybe I just thought army women would get them, too. If anyone has some information on that respect, I would very much appreciate hearing about. I know it's off-topic, but PM's are perfect for those things... Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Venezuelan_sweetie; 25th January 2007 at 7:33 PM. Reason: Add PS

Native language
    English, USA

Quote Originally Posted by emma42 View Post
    Would you kindly explain what evidence you have for the statement, "most of those people that don't have any right being there are the women"? and what evidence you have that a female soldier would think that a war would stop because of her period?
    I used the idea of the woman's period to get my point across. That point is that there is always so many things going on with women--be it mental or physical--that is not right for either sex for them to be in the field. While I am touching on the mental part, think of it this way: a woman, by nature, cares for and about so many things and so many people because she is built in order to have unconditional compassion. When they are on the field, it will be more difficult for them to pull the trigger than it would be for a man. (NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING THAT MEN HAVE NO EMOTIONS!!! AS FAR AS THEY ARE CONCERNED, I FEEL THAT THEY ARE MORE PRONE TO THINK LOGICALLY. I'll let you decide which is better.)

I'm not sure if they are given the pill or not. Regardless, I would tend to think that there are at least some that are not on it just because their bodies cannot handle it.

Native language
    English (American)

I can point out a number of female participants in this forum who think and express themselves much more logically than an equally large number of male participants. I also know many women who are much better at shedding distractions and focussing on the thing at hand than are an equally large number of men. Even if a stereotype is true on average (and I'm not conceding that they are), there is a great range of variability within groups. Look at one difference that I will concede: Men, on average, are taller than women. That doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of women who are taller than plenty of men.
    Va', pensiero, sull'ali dorate.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast