Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: your accent in other languages

Native language
    Central Italian

Re: your accent in other languages

"Overall, Poles and Czechs, probably some other Slavic speakers (but not Russians) tend to have quite generic, not very characteristic accents in English, which makes for a pretty good pronunciation in English. I would say their "foreign accents" basically never get in the way of communication. Bravo! "
    I agree, the same occurs in Italian
    Spanish, French and Brazilian people tend to have very tough accents when they speak Italian.
    Last edited by borgonyon; 26th April 2011 at 1:33 AM. Reason: Fixed quote.

Native language
    British English

I must quote my grandma:

You can always tell a German when they speak English.
    While this does contradict what I said in #59, the guy I spoke about had obviously been in Oz for a VERY long time...

There are certain accents (German, French, Russian - excl. other varieties of English) that it's really easy to hear when people speak English. But then there are accents that I could never tell the difference between; there are just generic East Asian, the-rest-of Asian, Eastern European, etc. accents to me. This may be because of only a small amount of exposure to the accents, but I hear no differences.

Lloyd

Native language
    Catalan and Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by mujerdepaz77 View Post
    Actually, the whole issue of the accent doesn't bother me at all. I have a larger concern with grammatical mistakes and vocabulary retention. My goal is to progress more in these areas.
    I totally agree - what's the use of perfect pronunciation if I'm going to speak like Tarzan?
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what 'irony' is? Baldrick: Yeah, it's like goldy and bronzy - only it's made of iron.

Native language
    Ireland English

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Barcelona View Post
    I totally agree - what's the use of perfect pronunciation if I'm going to speak like Tarzan?
    I agree - communication is the main goal...

I used to have enough German to place a phone call and ask to be passed to someone specific. My issue was that I had learned to mimic the accent, so if the person I wished to speak to was there, I would be passed through successfully, but if they were not, I would get a very friendly "I'm afraid Mr. X is out for lunch, he will be back later; would you like to leave a message" all in German, to which I would have to respond "I'm sorry, but do you speak English?". I would have been better served with more vocabulary and less accent!

Native language
    Catalan and Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by elirlandes View Post
    My issue was that I had learned to mimic the accent, so if the person I wished to speak to was there, I would be passed through successfully, but if they were not, I would get a very friendly "I'm afraid Mr. X is out for lunch, he will be back later; would you like to leave a message" all in German, to which I would have to respond "I'm sorry, but do you speak English?". I would have been better served with more vocabulary and less accent!
    I have exactly the same problem with German. I was on holiday in Austria last month and I got so frustrated with it that I switched directly to English from my second day there .

Actually, the "what's the use of perfect pronunciation if I'm going to speak like Tarzan" bit was something I myself used to tell my German teacher whenever she praised me for it!
    Last edited by Anna_Barcelona; 3rd September 2010 at 4:59 PM.
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what 'irony' is? Baldrick: Yeah, it's like goldy and bronzy - only it's made of iron.

Native language
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Barcelona View Post
    Well, Indians speak almost flawless English when it comes to vocabulary and syntax yet their accent is hated by Australians or Americans.

Why can't they accept the Indian accent for what it is: just an accent. Just like there is an Irish and a Scottish accent, there is also an Indian accent.

(Click on the link to listen to a sample of it).
    Some people said: what's the use of perfect grammar and rich vocabulary if it's hard to understand?
    Last edited by Istriano; 4th September 2010 at 3:12 AM.

Native language
    Español mexicano.

I'm a Spanish native speaker but, as many Mexicans who live in the border with the USA, I learned to speak english.

My accent is a mixture of every English speakers, what I mean is that I don't sound like a texan or a new yorker, I pronounce each word the easiest way for me, no matter where the pronunciation comes, I just accomodate fonetics.

Years ago I had to talk by phone with a British man who was going to come to the company I worked to perform an audit in preparation for a certification. I was the contact in Mexico so we talked oftenly and one day he asked me where I was born, I said in Mexico, where else. He said I didn't sound like a Mexican, he said I sounded like and old russian lady .

I don't know if that was a cumpliment or an insult and I don't want to know. Fortunately we always understood each other very well.
    ¡Arriba el Norte! Y si no me creen...vean el mapa.

Native language
    (Mexican) Spanish - (USA) English

Quote Originally Posted by Janis Joplin View Post
    I'm a Spanish native speaker but, as many Mexicans who live in the border with the USA, I learned to speak english.

My accent is a mixture of every English speakers, what I mean is that I don't sound like a texan or a new yorker, I pronounce each word the easiest way for me, no matter where the pronunciation comes, I just accomodate fonetics.

Years ago I had to talk by phone with a British man who was going to come to the company I worked to perform an audit in preparation for a certification. I was the contact in Mexico so we talked oftenly and one day he asked me where I was born, I said in Mexico, where else. He said I didn't sound like a Mexican, he said I sounded like and old russian lady .

I don't know if that was a cumpliment or an insult and I don't want to know. Fortunately we always understood each other very well.
    ROFL!
    I know how you feel! My sister and I have the same issue but, depending who the customer is, we may be from Russia, Germany, India, Puerto Rico, France....
    Volar.- Arte de aventarte al piso y fallarle

Native language
    English-American/New England

Quote Originally Posted by Istriano View Post
    Well, Indians speak almost flawless English when it comes to vocabulary and syntax yet their accent is hated by Australians or Americans.

Why can't they accept the Indian accent for what it is: just an accent. (snip)
    Oh, not this American. I could listen to someone from India (or Pakistan) speak English all day. It's just so musical: simply lovely.

Native language
    English - American

My accent with Spanish is pretty strong, but I'm understandable. I've been told my accent in French sounds vaguely Spanish, keep in mind that my Spanish is bad enough already...

I'm starting to learn German. I'm a bit better with that, but I tend to sound too 'soft'. German sounds harsher than English, so I have trouble with that.

Native language
    Mexican Spanish

After more than 30 years in this country I still have a very heavy Spanish accent. I say Spanish because, in spite of being Mexican I don't have a Mexican accent when I speak Spanish. My main problem, besides my accent, is the difference between short and long vowels.

Funny thing is my daughter is always correcting my English [because of my accent] but she always comes to me to explain to her the meaning of English words! I have, I think, a very large vocabulary.

Being a public speaker from time to time I tell people, when I start a presentation, that I often have a funny remark at the beginning of my presentations but that this time I don't have one so, please, just go ahead and laugh at my accent . . . That usually brings the house down . . .
    Mi vida es un erial de juventud dichosa . . .

Native language
    Arabic - Morocco

Hello,

I find that topic interessant and convivial.

I speak arabic, as my native language. Thus, i can speak any of the 30 arabic dialects and sound like i'm originally from thata region or another

Besides, i speak French as my second language and i think i sound good, since French people think i'm from France when they hear me talking.

I also speak english, but i guess it is quite bad, and my accent isn't much horrible but not good at all, i try to improve it but i have to admit that i find it so difficult.

As for my spanish, i think my accent isn't bad - because it's a latin language- but not good; I have a problem with "R" and "RR" as it's innate, my innate "R" sounds like german "r" (lol) this is why however i try to better imitate the spanish native speakers i have that problem of rolling the "R".

Souka's Regards.
    "Ne pense pas avoir fait le moindre progrès, si tu ne te sens pas inférieur à tous."

Native language
    Turkish

I can not pronounce Arabic "ح" in the way which native speakers in Arabic countries can easily understand. I am forced to repeat words with that letter. Also it is impossible for me to be able pronounce a good "ع".

Native language
    Arabic - Morocco

Quote Originally Posted by seyif View Post
    I can not pronounce Arabic "ح" in the way which native speakers in Arabic countries can easily understand. I am forced to repeat words with that letter. Also it is impossible for me to be able pronounce a good "ع".
    Hello Seyif,

Yes, those letters are difficult for someone whose mother tongue isn't arabic

But with practice you can improve it, espacially if you listen carefully to a person pronouncing it for you.

Have a good day!
    "Ne pense pas avoir fait le moindre progrès, si tu ne te sens pas inférieur à tous."

Native language
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)

Quote Originally Posted by Socheu View Post
    I speak arabic, as my native language. Thus, i can speak any of the 30 arabic dialects and sound like i'm originally from thata region or another
    I highly doubt that. You may have no trouble understanding other Arabic dialects, and you may be able to imitate some of them to a certain extent, but I'd be highly surprised if you were actually able to pass for a native of every dialect.
    Learn to stop arguing once you have won.

Native language
    Arabic - Morocco

Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I highly doubt that. You may have no trouble understanding other Arabic dialects, and you may be able to imitate some of them to a certain extent, but I'd be highly surprised if you were actually able to pass for a native of every dialect.

I don't know maybe.. But i can sound more or less good.

Have a nice day !

Native language
    English - UK

When I speak German I have an English accent though I think my German pronounciation is quite good. When I speak Italian, I am often told that I have a German accent. Perhaps it because I started German when I was much younger.
    Please do correct my text if needed! Thanks

Native language
    English (England)

Quote Originally Posted by Katejo View Post
    When I speak German I have an English accent though I think my German pronounciation is quite good. When I speak Italian, I am often told that I have a German accent. Perhaps it because I started German when I was much younger.
    When I started to learn German I found it very difficult to remember to pronounce my "h"s, despite the fact they clearly exist in English. I can only presume that having started learning French and Spanish first my brain had decided that "foreign language", any "foreign language", didn't pronounce "h"s!

Similarly I remember, much later, that when starting to learn Russian, anyone who had learned German first found it difficult to remember to pronounce Russian "stul" without the German "sh", despite the fact that "stool" exists in English without it.
    Last edited by timpeac; 27th October 2010 at 12:12 AM.
    ‘If a chap can’t compose an epic poem while he is weaving a tapestry, he had better shut up.' William Morris.

Native language
    British English

Quote Originally Posted by timpeac View Post
    Similarly I remember, much later, that when starting to learn Russian, anyone who had learned German first found it difficult to remember to pronounce Russian "stul" without the German "sh", despite the fact that "stool" exists in English without it.
    I have this exact problem in Esperanto. I always pronounce stelo /'stelo/ (Stern) like Stelle /'ʃtɛlə/.

Native language
    French (France)

Re : Re: your accent in other languages

Quote Originally Posted by Katejo View Post
    The other day I was told (by a Pole who lived in the UK) that I sound like a German when I speak English!!
    Argh... Need to spend some time in the UK!
    The good news is: 1) I don't sound French and 2) the exact sentence was along the lines of "you sound like a German speaking good English".
    The funny thing is that I never learnt German!
    Com as palavras todo cuidado é pouco, mudam de opinião como as pessoas. (José Saramago)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast