Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Deutschland
    Native language
    German/Germany
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,534

    Re: Guessing the person`s sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyArcher View Post
    Well, from my experience, women tend to have a more rounded handwriting style, while men tend to extend vertical lines (in letters like 'y' or 'h'), and in general it's not hard to form an impression, but of course it can be often misleading. The interresting thing for me here is that it's easier to notice the 'femininity' than 'masculinity' from the writing.
    This discussion is not about graphology of hand-writing, but about deducing the gender from the text style.

    Kajjo


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    France, Paris
    Native language
    France, French
    Posts
    6,716

    Re: Guessing the person`s sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by Setwale_Charm View Post
    However, I wonder where exactly that stems from.
    I'm not sure why exactly I got this first impression about you, I'm sure it's something with your nickname, but I can't point out what exactly in it.
    The thing is, once I've inferred that someone was a he or a she (which I do unconsciously), I will stick to this first impression if there's no clue against that image. Probably at one point you wrote something that made me check your profile, or I eventually noticed the "daughter of..." (was it there from the start?)
    Quote Originally Posted by mplsray View Post
    I remember reading about a study in which a computer analysis was highly effective in identifying the gender of the writer. A bit of googling turned up an abstract here:
    The researcher was 83% accurate at identifying the gender of the author based on the use of personal and impersonal pronouns.
    I'm intrigued by this because, as I said, I'm not convinced (until someone proves me wrong ) that there's a female style of writing and a male one. But doesn't the sentence you quote simply mean that someone can figure out the gender based on grammatical hints? Which doesn't look very difficult to me... Or am I misunderstanding? (I wasn't able to find the reference on your link )
    ... she said, with a gallic shrug.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Native language
    Russia/Russian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    157

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Oh, right... Sorry... I think I should stop smoking that stuff (j/k)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    La Jerusalén de los Suramericanos.
    Native language
    Venezuela --> Spanish -or something alik
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: Guessing the person`s sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by Setwale_Charm View Post
    However, I wonder where exactly that stems from.
    Well, I'm not sure. I think it was a mix of several things.
    Firstly, the colors in your avatar are not particularly feminine. I think they're not particularly masculine, either, but according to what I've seen in cyber-life so far, when women choose an ID picture or design, they lean towards "girlie" colors...

    Secondly, your username didn't reveal your sex (gender?) either, which many European males I know are used to do. Maybe my brain added a crazy link in there and filled in the blanks...

    Thirdly (and back in topic), seems to me that your writing style is very... ehm... how to say... vigorous and direct. Some posts of yours that I read when I was a newbie, sounded a bit like a steriotipical man's way to say things, and did not reveal whether you were saying those things from a male or female perspective (which I liked, by the way).

    I hope that answers your questions, but if it's too vague an answer to you, PMs are always welcome!
    (...) I have got plenty of skirts.
    You will possibly be disappointed upon seeing me in real life
    Ah, don't worry, darling: my legs had better days, too...
    Incipiente, como las muelas del juicio.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    moving around - a Brit who's hardly ever lived in the UK
    Native language
    British English, Russian
    Age
    38
    Posts
    6,300

    Re: Guessing the person`s sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyArcher View Post
    Well, from my experience, women tend to have a more rounded handwriting style, while men tend to extend vertical lines (in letters like 'y' or 'h'), and in general it's not hard to form an impression, but of course it can be often misleading.
    Oh my goodness!! So I am a man!!! A disgracefully incomplete underequipped male!!!
    It takes great courage to speak out loud about things which on the quiet are known to everybody.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    La Jerusalén de los Suramericanos.
    Native language
    Venezuela --> Spanish -or something alik
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: Guessing the person`s sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by Setwale_Charm View Post
    Oh my goodness!! So I am a man!!! A disgracefully incomplete underequipped male!!!
    Didn't you say that "the Western emancipation" was to blame?

    Now seriously, it's interesting that handwriting style has been mentioned here and there, throughout this thread... Have any of you heard of gender guessing through graphology? I know that's not quite what we're discussing in here, but the Anima vs. Animus individual conceptions that graphology uses, are not linked only to handwriting, but also to writing styles...

    Sorry I don't run an on-line search before throwing this into the melting pot (some links could come in handy), but I don't have unlimited on-line access from this PC. Can somebody give a hand on that?
    Incipiente, como las muelas del juicio.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    England
    Native language
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Posts
    2,951

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    What an interesting thread, I must admit!

    Although I have to say, I was slightly confused when reading some of the posts, as to why they were talking about handwriting - we can't really see it here on the forums, online, anyway..

    But from my point of view, I think it is usually (and I'd say it works for about 85% of the time) very possible to distinguish the sex of a forero according to their writing style on the forums. And I think I've not made many mistakes in my guessings of a forero's sex - not to say that I am good at it, it's just that I believe that there are general characteristics which classify the catergories of ''feminism'' and ''masculinity'' in style of writing.

    For example: it seems to me (and please oh please, do forgive me for generalisations! I realise that what I am saying is not always 100% the case, but these are just some of my observations ) that females usually have a less ''formal'' style of writing. It's more relaxed, and sounds more like the way they talk in real life to the friends and family.
    Once again, females, it seems to me, also tend to quite like to lean away from the original topic of the thread (most certainly including myself!! ) and make general (nicea and intersting) comments either about the subject, or about the other forerosparticipating in the thread (usually complimenting or thanking the other members of th community).
    I have to say that some males have a tendency to do that too - like some very nice people would often post trivial comments such as: There is absolutely no need to apologise. or Everyone makes mistakes, don't worry about it! in an answer to a comment usually made by the starter of the thread, such as: Oh, dear! I really must practise my X(insert language) more often! *blushes*. Or something along those lines.

    Then, again, nicknames and online names play a very important part in this! I have to say, that once (only once! ) I was confused for a male Crescent.(even though I'm very much a female one, and I always thought that the feminine side of my nature provided sufficient proof for that! *sniffles* ) But I think the majority of you could never really confuse me with a male... (at least I think so)!

    And the last thing, which I believe really stands out - is the amount of smilies that our foreros use! Again, a generalisation, but I've noticed that in general women use a lot more than males! And whilst the girlie ones tend to be *smiles* and *blushes*, the males often feel the need to wink and grin at everyone!
    I have to say, that I myself very often use up all of my ''8 smilies limit'' in one post! Like, now, for example...I have no more smilies to use. *sad face*.. *giggles*..!
    Last edited by Crescent; 9th February 2007 at 3:57 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Deutschland
    Native language
    German/Germany
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,534

    Re: Guessing the person`s sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by Venezuelan_sweetie View Post
    Have any of you heard of gender guessing through graphology?
    I recognise female and male handwriting of adult students with a reasonable, satisfying rate. However, I do not believe in deducing all kinds of personality traits by graphology, because I suppose that very many environmental and educational effects take place that have very significant influence on hand-writing without altering the fundamental personality. Actually, there are personality factors that influence the hand-writing, but how consistently they do so? For example, meticulousness, insecurity or strong self-confidence, sometimes also arrogance and flippancy can be quite clearly seen in hand-writing.

    Here is a link that claims that "even non-experts are able to correctly identify the gender of a writer about 70% of the time [by looking at the hand-writing]".

    Kajjo


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Deutschland
    Native language
    German/Germany
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,534

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by Crescent View Post
    It seems to me that females usually have a less ''formal'' style of writing. It's more relaxed, and sounds more like the way they talk in real life to the friends and family.
    I agree, this is true for many women foreros here.

    Once again, females, it seems to me, also tend to quite like to lean away from the original topic of the thread (most certainly including myself!!)
    I disagree. Many male foreros deviate quite a lot, too.

    and make general (nice and interesting) comments either about the subject, or about the other foreros participating in the thread
    I agree. This is much more commonly done by women than men in this forum.

    I've noticed that in general women use a lot more [smilies] than males!
    Again, I agree. This is obviously the case.

    Kajjo


  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    La Jerusalén de los Suramericanos.
    Native language
    Venezuela --> Spanish -or something alik
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by Kajjo View Post
    However, I do not believe in deducing all kinds of personality traits by graphology, because I suppose that very many environmental and educational effects take place that have very significant influence on hand-writing without altering the fundamental personality.
    Seems like we've hit in a potentially interesting (yet off-topic) discussion. I'd love to keep on with it, but if we did, we would perhaps be endangering this thread's further existance. (As I always say, new threads and PMs would be -enthusiastically- appreciated! )

    My question was rather about a possible connection between pshychological gender (sex?) and writing style. I remember very little from graphology, but some of the outlines regarding masculine women and feminine men could perhaps also be linked to writing style, and not just to handwriting.

    Any ideas, links, studies, anything at all?
    Incipiente, como las muelas del juicio.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madrid
    Native language
    Spain, Spanish
    Posts
    6,767

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Wow, what an interesting conversation!

    Well, I don't know, who could say which difference are between boys and girls when writing?

    I think no general ideas can be said about this kind of things, can't they, Sweetie, dear?

    When I was 18 and I was living in East Salonica, my boyfriend and me talked for hours about this very same subject. A friend of us told that she was involved with a pen pal (I mean, Internet pen pal ) who pretended to be men. When she met them, they happened to be women!

    Well, you know, that is what I think. Do you agree, boys?
    ______________________________________________________

    I am not very sure what the real topic is.

    Either we are trying to decribe the general Western-style sex-oriented style of writing in Internet forums or this is a covert try to discover the sex of the foreros.

    Either way, it is nosense. The real problem is the mysoginia and sexism inserted in the current globalized men. All in all, is a poor and dumb try to develop a pathetic machist ego discourse in an specially inappropiate forum.
    _______________________________________________________

    Obviously (?) kidding.
    Only a Spanish speaker. If you need an exact translation, wait for better opinions.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    La Jerusalén de los Suramericanos.
    Native language
    Venezuela --> Spanish -or something alik
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    I think no general ideas can be said about this kind of things, can't they, Sweetie, dear?
    I mean, all we've been saying here is like "I think XXX writes like a man", "yeah, and what do I write like?", "I don't know, but I believe I write like...", which I doubt is what SC wanted from the start.

    I think (notice: think, believe, suppose, infer...) that she wants to know what makes us think someone is a guy or a chick, according to writing styles, and so far, not too many of us have exposed that.

    Is that somewhat clearer?
    Last edited by cuchuflete; 12th February 2007 at 4:35 PM. Reason: Some text deleted at request of V_S
    Incipiente, como las muelas del juicio.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ USA
    Native language
    The Netherlands
    Age
    49
    Posts
    132

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    All right, let me be the Mr. or Mrs. Smartypants: A guess is just a guess and that's usually based on a feeling or some other form of irrationalism like intuition. The question should be: is it possible to scientifically determine someone's sex based on his/her choice of words, grammatic structure and overall care? I think you can if you include subject matter. Women have oftentimes different interests than men, but I have to be careful here, I do not want to generalize too much. Besides, what if I feel very comfortable with my feminine side, would that make a woman, on paper?

  14. #34
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Native language
    Castellano - Argentina
    Posts
    4,757

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    I usually don't think about the gender of the forero until some kind of discussion arises. As having a point of view implies having a point where the person is standing on, meaning one's background, and background in a wider sense includes gender, I like to know that gender. In those circumstances, I can deduct the gender of the person from what he/she writes about five each six times. There were maybe two or three cases I was pretty sure they were females and they "turned out" to be males.

    Usually feminine brains focus in a particular point, and explore all the details of that point disregarding (just a bit or quite a lot) its relatioships with the whole context. Feminine brains have great abilities to reasoning from general to particular, but quite often they choose a wrong or incomplete or biased set for the "general". They are often short-sighted to review their point of departure.

    Usually masculine brains see the whole context easily and pick better sets. We are more analytical and strategical than women (in average). But we often fail in our synthesis. We are often short-sighted to review our point of arrival.

    These mind styles infects emotional styles. As men see "the whole" we tend a bit to feel rejected as a person when is rejected one of our arguments. An example of this is the men seeming to be in a bad mood when our partner rejects our romantic advances. Misinterpreting this fuels the myth all men are "like children". As women see "the part" they tend to feel undervalued when their chain of reasoning is rejected. But women often take well a change in the departure set, and reason to come to a different conclusion. This fuels the myth that "woman don't know what they want".

    Fortunately, as societies become more balanced in gender roles, education and social responsabilites, and growing up make us more conscious of this gender biased styles, we manage to undestand more easily the point of view of others, but still we can notice the gender behind the mind. But it is equally true that masculine or feminine minds don't come necessarly with the rest of the gender's equipment.
    Last edited by aleCcowaN; 10th February 2007 at 4:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    En fonética, por si quedan dudas: /a're 'todo lo ke 'pude/

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
    Native language
    English, USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,575

    Re: Guessing the person`s sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by geve View Post
    I'm intrigued by this because, as I said, I'm not convinced (until someone proves me wrong ) that there's a female style of writing and a male one. But doesn't the sentence you quote simply mean that someone can figure out the gender based on grammatical hints? Which doesn't look very difficult to me... Or am I misunderstanding? (I wasn't able to find the reference on your link )
    The sentence I quote was of a study which based the gender determination on personal and impersonal pronouns, but in English what could that mean but that men and women have different styles of writing? It's not as if English has a first-person personal pronoun which is based upon the sex of the writer (as it conceivably could).
    Last edited by mplsray; 11th February 2007 at 7:32 AM.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    America
    Native language
    English United States
    Posts
    335

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    If it is in a chat and you get a PM saying A/S/L, rest assured it is some guy.
    To combat this - for the S, say "man", even if you are a woman.
    He will quickly go away.
    I know every single case of...

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Native language
    Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Quote Originally Posted by Setwale_Charm View Post
    Is is at all possible to detect whether the author of any writing is a male or a female unless, of course, they give specific allusions to this fact? Is it possible to pretend to be of the opposite sex?

    Of course! I have pretended and succeeded to be a girl for more than 1 year via MSN with several people, you just have to be careful in the way you write and express your thoughts. It's pretty funny how they brand you a girl and at the end just for fun you tell them the truth.

    I have never set such a goal for myself as to conceal my true personality and impersonate somebody else. So I guess my style can be very "betraying". Has anybody attempted doing such a thing?
    Nevertheless, years ago, when I used to have online penpals, a girl from Indonesia with whom I had been communicating for a while, suddenly asked me whether I was a male or a female claiming my style was more like a man`s!! The Western emancipation is to blame here, I guess.
    Sorry, but I am one of those who mistook you for a man too . Especially your avatar, that flag for some reason reminds me of Scotland and when I think of Scotland I think about men with skirts

    Quote Originally Posted by mirx View Post
    Well, if it serves for your goal, I´ve been told to have woman hands, woman fingers, woman hand-writing and woman,,, Ohh my God I am a woman.

    I suppose they (the women) say that I write like a woman because unlike most males my handwriting is somehow legible.
    Won't you be my lost twin by any chance? Because I have been told exactly the same thing. For some reason, I am mistaken 95% of the times for a woman, in any forum and also via MSN and Skype. But I don't look like a girl in real life nor I have girly voice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crescent View Post
    (........)
    I agree with you. Even though it is a generalization, what you say is true in many things.

    I have observed that women tend to be more cheerful than men and use more emoticons, and I write as one of those

    English is a language that helps us not to know the gender of someone because English has no gender in most cases.
    Last edited by 涼宮; 7th January 2012 at 4:22 PM. Reason: a bloody -t and for.
    Username: Suzumiya. 所詮この世は弱肉強食。強ければ生き、弱ければ死ぬ。-志々雄真実

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Poland
    Native language
    Polish
    Age
    21
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    I have great difficulty recognizing the gender of a forero. I think in some cases I could try to guess one's gender judging by avatar or manner of writing, but appearances can be deceptive, as the saying goes. If it isn't readily apparent because of nickname, I usually have to enter the profile and look for gender info. Too bad for me if a forero didn't provide any, leaving the blank space. Then I have to either take a wild guess, thoroughly read through forero posts or simply use "he or she" construction so as not to hurt anyone feelings. By the way, is there anything that gives my gender away? I guess most of you would say that I'm bound to be a she, but the facts are otherwise

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    This septic isle!
    Native language
    NW Englandish English
    Age
    50
    Posts
    28,689

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    Suzumiya: you'll always be female to me ~ it's the combination of the very girly avatar with the very feminine name (Sue + Mia)

    Dreamlike: I never for one moment thought you were female
    Edit yourself ~ its less embarassing than someone else doing it for you,

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Poland
    Native language
    Polish
    Age
    21
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: Guessing the person's sex on the basis of his/her writing

    So I guess you're one of the few people who have no difficulty recognizing my gender, as most people who send me PM mistake me for female (which might have something to do with my nickname).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •