Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Endearment terms

Native language
    italy, italian

Re: Italian terms of endearment

i think almost any Italian call his/her partner AMORE, than there are a lot of nicknames every couple use: for example i'm used to call my wife "pippi" "cippi" "cips" which have no meanig at all but sounds good to us

when i was a kid my parents and relatives called me "chicco" which stands literally for "grain/grape" other terms may be "cucciolo" cub/pup "topo" and whatever your fantasy suggests to you
    ciao! winnie

Native language
    USA - English

terms of endearment from woman to a man

Hello,

What are traditional terms of endearment a woman can call a man in Italian? I don't mean whole phrases. Just a single term, like a "nickname"

For example in English sometimes people use terms like"

sweetheart
    my love
    honey
    darling

etc.

What are words of endearment that Italian women call their Italian men?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Native language
    USA - English

Re: Words of love in Italian

Ok... I just found this website that lists some terms of endearment.

Can anyone tell me which ones are good ones for a woman to say to a man?

Thank you!

amore (mio), amorevole, amorino, amoroso, angelo, anima, mia bambino/a (mio/a) bellezza, bello/a, caro/a, cicciolina, ciumachella, cocco/a, creatura, cuore (mio), delizia, dolcezza, fata, gattino/a, gioia, micio/a, mio bene, mi piaci, nini (ninni), passerotto/a passione (mia), piccolo/a, pupa, pupilla, dei miei, occhi, stella (mia), tenerezza, tenero/a, tesoro, tesoruccio, tesorino, tesorone, vita mia

well, for example:
    coco means coconut.... is that romantic?
    creatura is "creature".... is that romantic?

I'm looking for something sort of sweet and romantic. but, not too sappy.
    Last edited by Lyllie; 6th May 2005 at 1:00 AM.

Native language
    italian

Re: Endearment terms

tesorina mia, LITERALLY MEANS MY LITTLE TREASURE

Native language
    italian

Usually within couples people call eachother AMORE or AMORE MIO, which means love but it doesn´t sound as heavy as in english

Tesoro is good, it means treasure, but it´s not intended as a possessive thing

caro, is commonly used, amongs people, it´s not very cute though.

Orsacchiotto o cucciolina, is something my dad used to call me when I was a little girl.

Hope that helps

Native language
    italian

Re: Words of love in Italian

coco, no.... cocco but it´s like a mother to child thing, Cocco di Mamma, strangely enough we don´t usually have pet names like cupcake or sugar bun, it´s difficult,
    dolcezza, sounds quite greasy
    tesoro, is ok
    caro, means dear, but it´s quite common amongst friends an everything, it´s like darling

Native language
    English

I JUST started seeing an Italian man - I'm American - and he throws these terms of endearments around like they are nothing. Before we even met and we were talking online, he called me Angelo Mio and Tesoro, etc....I think even amore once....is this normal? I seem to take them literally and I probably shouldnt.....is it something he would call just ANY women he converses with I wonder UNLIKE Americans?
    Thanks!!

Native language
    čeština

Hi and welcome!

Please do not believe him and do not take him seriously. Così fan tutti. It must be something in the water.

Jana
    A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. Saul Bellow

Native language
    English Canada

Hey everyone. I'm brand new to this site, I've read a couple posts and you all seem like very nice and helpful people. I'm hoping I could get a quick hand with a little problem I'm having. My Gf is Italian and she only understands it but does not speek it. For our 1 year aniversary I'm hoping to tell her how much I care for her in Italian and surprise her. I have been taking very basic Italian lessons that are giving me a small vocab but nothing that I can put into an admiration sentence. I'm hoping to say something like this

I love you so much, since the day we met I felt a connection with you. You have made me happier then I have ever been. Your the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing I think of when I fall asleep. I love you.

If anyone could give me a hand with this I would be very very grateful! Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Jana337; 28th January 2007 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Please write properly. :)

Native language
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Franky90210 View Post
    My Gf is Italian and she only understands it but does not speek it.
    She's Italian but does not speak Italian?

I love you so much, since the day we met I felt a connection with you. You have made me happier then I have ever been. Your the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing I think of when I fall asleep. I love you.
    Ti amo tantissimo, fin dal giorno in cui ci siamo incontrati ho sentito un feeling speciale tra noi. Mi hai reso felice come mai prima. Sei la prima cosa che penso quando mi sveglio, e l'ultima quando mi addormento. Ti amo.

You may want to wait for other suggestions of course.

In bocca al lupo.
    The sentences above are provided "as is", without any implicit or explicit warranty of any kind. Blame my English teacher for any fault you encounter.

Native language
    english

If I wanted to say "my love" to someone would I say: Mio amore or Il mio amore? and is it correct to say Mia cara or just simply cara to someone. Thanks.

Native language
    U.S.A.- American English

I'm a beginner, so wait for verification, but I think if you say "mia cara" it would mean "my expensive one." Cara means expensive or dear, depending on the order of the words in the sentence. "Cara mia," though, would be my dear. I'm pretty sure you could say "cara" on its own, but that's just "dear" and not "my dear."
    I don't think you'd use the article, like "il" or "la," because that sounds strange to me. And I've only ever heard "amore mio" and "tesoro mio" with the possessive bit after the word, not before. Doesn't necessarily mean it's not correct to say "il mio amore," but "amore mio" is a safer bet.
    Best of luck! Ciao!
    Carolina

Native language
    Italy - Italian

Hi Weezay. My best suggestion is for you is to wait and see. What your friend tells you might be important and may be not. Words, specially in Italian depend very much on how they're said.

"Cara" and "tesoro" are the most used nicknames among married couples; they are of course tender and romantic even though years of marriage might cause a loss of emphasis.

Yet the two most helpful words to save a marriage are "Siii càaaraaa..." stressing very much the first a.

Italian husbands will understand.

Native language
    United States, English

Question: I know "ciccia mia" is a term that's used for affection, but is it more commonly used to address friends or something you would call somebody you're romantically interested in?

Thanks

Native language
    italian italy

In italian we often use: piccolo/a, Can you in English say "Little"?
    I don't think you can say "little" alone, without adding any other word, right?

Native language
    US, English

Quote Originally Posted by liv3000 View Post
    In italian we often use: piccolo/a, Can you in English say "Little"?
    I don't think you can say "little" alone, without adding any other word, right?
    You're right. Alone it is odd-sounding in English. Some adjectives can stand alone as endearments, I doubt there's a rule, but not "little."
    That's an L (Lsp)

Native language
    USA english

What does "piccy mio" mean?

I would guess "my little..." or something.

Native language
    italian italy

My little is "il mio piccolo (piccino)", or "piccolo (piccino) mio".
    Even nicer "piccolino mio".

Piccy is certainly an abbreviation for piccino, but not consistant with the Italian language, mind the Y is not a proper Italian letter.

Ciao
    Last edited by Jana337; 8th April 2007 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Please write properly!

Native language
    USA english

I just looked up the meaning of piccino which was "petty" so mio piccy would be "my petty" ? That seems less than endearing.

I am guessing this in this endearment context, piccy must be slang for piccolo.

Native language
    USA, English

Re: Help with just one lil word please?

Quote Originally Posted by TiffanyC View Post
    Wouldn't this word mean something more akin to "sweetheart"? You can't really call someone a treasure in English.
    Sure you could it's just not as common. They say the exact same thing in German. Mein Schatz meaning my treasure literally but actually just "my sweetheart"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast