Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: personal hygiene: having a shower/bath etc.

Native language
    English, U.S.

Re: personal hygiene: having a shower/bath etc.

I think it is common for people in the U.S. to shower daily, but the duration of the shower can vary greatly from one community to the next. I lived in California during a severe drought in the late 70s when water was rationed and we were urged not to shower every day and to shower for only a couple of minutes. Since then I, and many Californians, are very cautious about how much water we use. It is not uncommon to turn on the water to get wet, turn it off to apply soap and shampoo, and turn it back on to rinse.

Native language
    Mexico, Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by HUMBERT0 View Post
    In my country you take a bath at lest once a day, one bath a day being the norm, though it varies, you might take a shower in the morning before you go to work or to school and if you perspired a lot because of your work or doing sports at school, or if you are going to go out for the evening, probably your going to take another shower.
    In Mexico WE shower everyday? Who are WE?
    Mexico is the size of all Western Europe and its cultural diversity is as rich, including language wise. I have met people in the mountains of Puebla, Chiapas and Chihuahua that showered only once a week. Some of them were poor people who had to warm up buckets of water to take a bath or a “jícara” shower (pouring water over you with the help of a container named “jícara”), but I had a also an acquaintance from a rich family who came from the Puebla mountains (Teziutlán) to study in Veracruz and she was only showering once a week, except if you consider her daily chemical showers, like previously mentioned in this forum; you know deodorants, creams, perfumes, etc.
    My mom grew up in the mountains of Veracruz (temperate climate) she says that when she was not married she was taking howers every other day, but she was washing her hair only once a week.
    My father on the other hand grew up in the coast of Veracruz, that is the tropics, he used to shower several times a day. When my mother married him and moved to Veracruz, she started to do the same. I grew up doing the same. But when I was going to my grandparents place we were adapting and showering every other day and washing our hair once or twice a week.

Native language
    AmE (New England) / español (Colombia)

In the US most people I know shower (more common) or take a bath (less common) at least once a day, many of them in the evening.

I usually shower twice daily, when I wake up and before going to bed.

Less frequent showering or bathing than once-or-twice a day seems unhygienic to me.
    Last edited by ManPaisa; 24th February 2010 at 9:44 PM.

Native language
    Arabic (Saudia) but I'm Yemeni :)

I think it depends on the weather, in hot some times you take 2 to 3 showers a day!! because you'll take a shower to set infront of the air condition to get a little cool air it's really hot 50 C.
    But sure you'll take one a day, usually after we came back from work or school. For me I take it 2 times in hot weather, one when I go to my work and one when I came back, but I didn't take any shower before sleeping, simply because we have a strong air condition all night and it's not good for health.
    And a real long bath would be one day a week (friday usually). One long bath (2 hours maybe) with all herbs and scrubs for my face,body and feet and olive soap to scrub my body in hot water with it's special sponge and all creams and lotions after that to my body and feet : ) ohhh nice :P

In winter it's diffrent, it might be 1 a day or 1 the other day. But our winter is really short may be one month or 6 weeks no more and whole year we enjoy the hot weather I really prefer hot than cold.
    Last edited by the-moon-light; 8th March 2010 at 11:21 AM.

Native language
    AmE (New England) / español (Colombia)

For me the issue is not whether it's cold or hot.

The issue is that people normally urinate and defecate at least once a day.

Native language
    Norway, Norwegian

Quote Originally Posted by ManPaisa View Post
    I'm familiar with those. They're very handy although I prefer the bidet I have at home.
    Bidets are nice, but they take up more space than the extra shower head, and I also think it's more difficult to use a bidet without having to take your clothes entirely off, whereas that's no problem with the shower head.

Native language
    Am English

The following is full of generalizations:

In my experience, Europeans (in general) are somewhat more tolerant of bodily odor issues, sweating, extra smells, etc... if someone's hair is a bit greasy; it's not the end of the world--at least in a daily life situation. This I suppose is due to various historical and cultural issues--as anywhere.

In the Americas--North and South, people are less tolerant, with Latin America being particularly intolerant for people to smell, look a bit unwashed, etc... If possible, in many cases, people there (including the US) will probably shower twice a day even, especially if they will go out for a social occasion. Furthermore, especially in Latin America, I suspect, class issues come into play since sweating and body odor would be more associated with physical labor, which would make you "low class"--something that people DO NOT want to seem. I hope all this does not sound to controversial.

Native language
    Mexico, Spanish

for some Mexicans the cleanliness is like a virtue, they would tell you proudly how many times they clean this or that around the house and how many times they shower and how many hours they spent doing it.

That sometimes gets worst with age, becoming almost a mania

my father in his old days was proud of washing his hands around one hundred times per day and taking three showers during the day. His job was done sitting in a well ventilated office, so there was not real need to do so. He was changing all his clothes after each shower too.

I have met a couple of old ladies who change towels and bedclothes around the house daily, like in a hotel, an old fashion hotel, because now, not even hotels can afford to do that.

I remember too the grandmother of a friend, once she ask us to go to pick up the clothes from the clotheslines, we did, and when we came back in the house she asked if we washed our hands before doing it, since we didn't, she decided to wash everything again because we soiled it with our "dirty" hands.

But these obsessive people were lucky to have so much water available free or at very low price to waste in that way.

When one realize that there is people in the world that cannot even get the few daily liters necessary for drinking or that they have to walk miles to get it.

It starts to be hard to understand what these over-scrubbed people are trying to prove.

Native language
    Am English

Very good points and examples Chtipays! Those people are a bit excessive, but they are just an extreme example of a society that places a lot of emphasis on cleanliness, especially visible cleanliness--I think it has a lot to do with making a good impression. Here in Chile, it could be the "end of the world" if a coffee spilled on your shirt. You might have to go home and change the shirt because a lot of people would think you were "cochino". In Europe, it seems, you could say "sorry, I had an accident." People might be more understanding about that.
    Of course, being so over-washed is not particularly ecological. North Americans are also big on showering a lot, and it is a society famous for wasteful habits.

Native language
    Italian - Tuscany

Many Italians don't have a shower every day.
    All Italians think that people who don't have a bidet in their toilet are uncivilized.

I think that the world can be divided in shower-using countries and bidet-using countries!!!

Bye.
    Last edited by effeundici; 3rd April 2010 at 12:24 PM.
    Please, correct my English, even the smallest mistake. That would be very kind of you

Native language
    English - USA

In Costa Rica, many, many houses do not have tubs.
    In the US, it is not uncommon for (women especially) to indulge in a hot bath on a regular basis.
    Growing up the rule of thumb in my region (Northeast) was once daily in hot weather and every-other day when it is really cold. It's really... challenging to jump in the shower in a cold house every morning when hot water only lasts for a few minutes b/c it is an older, bigger house. Plus, you don't really get "dirty" when it is freezing outside and you're not being fiscally active.

Native language
    Russian (Moscow)

Quote Originally Posted by Maria003 View Post
    you're not being fiscally active.
    Is that when you pay your bills or re-allocate assets in your investment portfolio?
    These activities can make you sweat a lot!

Native language
    English - USA

For me it means I have articles to read and essays to revise and it's too cold not to be in the tub! But to conserve water, I use the tub water to flush the toilet. I love, love, love that I live in a country where I can take a hot bath whenever I want. It is a wonderful thing to have. I don't like wasting water though...

Native language
    Russian (Moscow)

Oh, OK, I thought fiscal activity meant more like preparing your taxes (it's that time a year too)!

Native language
    English - USA

Bwahahaha! Oops... that was funny. Sorry, yes I meant physically active. Gosh I think Spanish is really, really seeping into my pores...
    Por favor, corríjame cuando me equivoco.

Native language
    English - EEUU

A number of people mentioned more showers in the summer, but in the north country it can get down to -20 F (-28C). Sometimes a hot shower is necessary to get warm. International students from warmer climates have often said that their frequency of showers increased dramatically as a means of body temperature regulation.
    Por favor • no dudes en corregir mis errores : El perfeccionismo no es malo si no es obsesión

Native language
    -

When I came to Europe 5 years ago, it was a bit of a shock that people only take 1 shower a day (and many people don't shower each day!). Many people (especially in France) think that a perfume can be substitute for a shower.

Native language
    Español/Francés

Quote Originally Posted by Istriano View Post
    When I came to Europe 5 years ago, it was a bit of a shock that people only take 1 shower a day How many showers do you take a day? (and many people don't shower each day!). Many people (especially in France) think that a perfume can be substitute for a shower. True, yes, thanks God... French perfumes wouldn't exist!

Native language
    Am English

Personally, I think more than one shower a day is wasteful and shows a lack of environmental concern. The only people who should take more than one shower a day a people who do HEAVY physical labor or work in a coal mine (also heavy labor), something like that. Anyone else is just being capricious.

Native language
    Español/Francés

I agree.
    BUT, as a young boy, I had chickenpox... the only way to avoid scratching my body was 3, 4, even 5 showers a day. Sorry.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast