Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Hardest language to pronounce?

Native language
    USA Northeast

Re: Hardest language to pronounce?

Quote Originally Posted by Istriano View Post
    También hay ieísmo, žeísmo, šeísmo y eísmo, dependiendo de cómo se pronuncia la y:
    kabayo, kabaio, kabažo, kabašo, kabao.
    ¿Kabaio? ¿Qué es eso? ¿Dónde lo dicen? Qué raro. No se te olvide Ka-ba-tzo.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Native language
    -

Kabaio (i = y in English yes) is used in Northern Mexico and much of Central America (Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador), according to
    Spanish pronunciation in the Americas

Escrito por Delos Lincoln Canfield.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=G8ZY3dVGF7cC&printsec=frontcover&dq=pronunciation+americas+spanish&hl=es&ei=j1fKTpHFKsf5sgbK3fysBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=pronunciation americas spanish&f=false

Native language
    Russian

I love languages, and I tried to learn over a dozen of them (though, to a different extent). I learned various European languages (English, German, Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian and others) as well as a few oriental languages: Chinese, Japanese, Thai, very little of Korean, very little of Cambodian, and finally, I learned Georgian.

I feel quite comfortable with most of foreign sounds due to some practice. I’ve used to the aspirated consonants of English, German, Chinese, Thai, Cambodian and Georgian. I’ve used to the ejective consonants of Georgian. And I do not have any troubles with its complex consonant clusters either. I’ve used to the nasal vowels of French. I’ve used to the Mandarin Chinese tones as well. In the beginning the tones seemed difficult for me, but I practiced them a lot and finally got used to.

As regards the pronunciation difficulties:
    1. The hardest thing for me is not producing a sound correctly, but hearing the differences in another’s speech. One of the hardest sounds for me is the NG-sound [ŋ]. No, I have no difficulty with pronouncing it. Its articulation is easy, and I feel my tongue positioned in a completely different way when I pronounce N and NG. But I still fail to distinguish N and NG by ear. My native language does not have this sound, and I have to listen very carefully in order to tell them apart. I tried some listening exercises, but it is still mainly the context which helps we to understand if it was “sin” or “sing”, “ton” or “tongue” etc. I do not know why, but this sound keeps confusing me though I barely ever confuse any other consonants. Just N and NG sound pretty much the same for my ear.
    2. Generally I find distinguishing similar vowels to be much harder than distinguishing similar consonants. The English vowels are quite difficult for me; I find the French vowels to be easier. I can distinguish between English vowels if only I pronounce them slowly and carefully. And I do not always hear the difference, especially when someone speaks fast. The hardest vowel pairs for me are DUCK-DOCK, COT-CAUGHT and PULL-POOL. As to SIT-SEAT and SET-SAT, they are much easier. However, there is another interesting fact: I easily distinguish SET and SAT in my pronunciation, but it seems I exaggerate the difference. When listening to American native speakers of English, I find their MAN almost like MEN sometimes.
    3. A similar problem is with Cambodian: it has even more vowels to be distinguished than English does. And some of the Cambodian vowels really sound too much alike. For example, it differentiates between a front [a] and a back [ɑ], each of them can be either short or long, as well as diphthongs like [ai], [ae] and [aə], and many other similar things.
    4. Some of the tonal languages are also hard. The Mandarin Chinese tones are not that difficult: there are only 4 of them, and the difference is easily heard. I struggle with the Thai tones much more: it has 5 distinct tones, some of them being barely distinguishable, especially the mid tone and the low tone.
    But the main difficulty in Thai is not just 5 tones. In Chinese, the vowel length is not an independent vowel property, it is just a feature of the tone: the 1st tone is quite long, the 4th tone is the shortest. As to the Thai vowels, each of them can be short or long, regardless the tone. Thus, in fact we get 10 different possibilities: 5 short tones and 5 long tones, e.g. pan (1) – pan (2) – pan (3) – pan (4) – pan (5) – paan (1) – paan (2) – paan (3) – paan (4) – paan (5). When pronouncing a long vowel, it is easier to distinguish tones since you have enough time to produce a clear tone contour. Distinguishing tones in short vowels is something that drives me crazy.

But neither of the languages above is the hardest to pronounce. I have never dared to try to learn Arabic. I believe the Arabic guttural consonants would be really hard for me.

And that’s still a “kindergarten” as we say it in Russia. If you really want some phonetic challenges, then here you are:
    1. Extremely unusual are the “click” languages of South Africa. I would not go into details since there are already some posts on them here.
    2. Some languages distinguish vowel phonations. It is also very unusual for Europeans and hard to learn. For example, there is specific “harsh voice”: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harsh_voice. An example of the language which distinguishes phonations is Dinka in Sudan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinka_language. Let me cite: “The Dinka southeastern dialect is known to contrast modal voice, breathy voice, faucalized voice, and harsh voice in its vowels, in addition to its three tones.”.
    The oddest phonation is the strident voice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strident_vowel which exists in some of South African languages (they also possess lots of click consonants).
    And, finally, it seems to be extremely hard for most of people to learn a language where different phonations co-exist with an extensive tonal system. An example is Mpi language in the North of Thailand which has 2 phonations (modal and stiff) and 6 tones, so we get 2 x 6 = 12 distinctive possibilities.
    Last edited by Moro12; 27th January 2012 at 2:02 PM.

Native language
    Lithuanian

Would you consider Polish hard to pronounce: some people think it is one of the hardest languages.

Native language
    Russian

As my native language is Russian, I wouldn't consider Polish being hard at all. I even learned a bit of Polish, and can read it pretty well. The only difficulty might be the Polish nasal vowels, but they are not unique to Polish. Some experience in French and Portuguese would solve the problem.
    That's just a Slav's opinion. Non-Slavs would surely disagree.

Among the rest of the Slavic languages, I'd say Czech is a bit harder than Polish. But that's due to its extensive distinction of short and long vowels. Also Czech uses syllabic consonants (as in "prst", "vlk"), and Polish does not.

Native language
    Lithuanian

There are tongue twisters like: w Przebrzeszynie przejechalo mysz na szynie i do tego chrzaszcz brzmi w trzcinie. What do you think about that?

Native language
    Russian

Wow, a nice one!
    I can say it if only pronouncing slowly and carefully. But the tongue twisters are a different thing. Saying them fast requires multiple exercises
    I still cannot do a very short and famous Russian tongue twister: Купи кипу пик ("Kupi kipu pik" for those who cannot read Cyrillic). When trying to say it fast my tongue gets tangled by those alternating K and P, and I stop stammered!

Native language
    Lithuanian

It is a poem, in fact by Jan Brzechwa. It is Szczebrzeszyn, making it even worse. I am sorry. Here is the whole text. The entire poem is a tongue twister, but not only that.http://www.tenpieknyswiat.pl/2007/05...zmi-w-trzcinie P.S. The mouse may be something extra in the twister.

Lithuanian may be a difficult language to pronounce too. This is my favorite tongue twister:
    Šešios žąsys su šešiais žąsyčiais.
    Last edited by LilianaB; 27th January 2012 at 9:35 PM. Reason: c letter corrected -- diacritic added.

Native language
    Russian

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaB View Post
    The c should have a diacritic, but I could not find it here.
    May I guess? Do you mean this one: č? You can try copy-pasting it into your original post.
    BTW, if you have MS Word, you can always use the "insert symbol" option, and then find a necessary letter in the long list of available symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaB View Post
    Lithuanian may be a difficult language to pronounce too.
    I believe yes. I saw a textbook of Lithuanian for Russians. It was interesting, but the book was not mine and I had to give it back then.

What surprised me a lot is that Lithuanian not only had 2 different accentuation types (acute and circumflex if I don't mistake) - that's already challenging, but that the accent could sometimes be placed on a consonant! Something like in combinations of "yl", "ar", "ir" etc. the accent was shown not on the vowel itself but rather on the consonant next to it! I still cannot imagine how it is pronounced like that.

Native language
    Lithuanian

Yes, it is kind of complicated. It is better to just listen to the sounds. I am not too good with describing sounds in any language. I think the best way is just listening to how they are pronounced.

Native language
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual

I think that my native language is the most difficult language to pronounce: the Qingtian dialect (China)
    We that speak it since children but I have seen very few people learn it as an adult.

Here is a video

Native language
    Hebrew

For west Europe, and all other languages that don't use the throat sounds, Semitic languages are very hard(in particular for the anglo-languages due to have a-sex system)...

I often hear people describing the attempt to produce such sounds feels like they're about to throw up or choke...
    For us when we first learn the english/american accent it feels like having no air...
    I believe that its easier for us than it is to you.
    All the seats are taken in the parliament of fools!

Native language
    Scotland - Scots and English

arielipi, you should try Glaswegian dialect Scots. We could probably still talk if you removed our heads, since our words go gradually down our throats as we're talking until they almost come straight out of our lungs. It's amazing how much variation there is between dialects in English. I can't speak for other languages, but I think one of the things which makes English hard is that it has a global spread of dialects from many different sources, rather than just a natural spread like most non-European languages. In fact a foreign speaker is more likely to be understood in both the Irish Gaeltacht and the hills of Jamaica than a native of either of those two would be in the other.

Native language
    Hebrew

ok...by throat sounds i mean like the kh in genghis khan - english doesnt have that. nor does it have the strong tounge-throat connection that allows us to emphasize pretty much every sound in a way you cant.
    its hard to explain via text...and youtube isnt allowed here so...just search for hebrew for yourself and hear that...
    All the seats are taken in the parliament of fools!

Native language
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual

Quote Originally Posted by Youngfun View Post
    I think that my native language is the most difficult language to pronounce: the Qingtian dialect (China)
    We that speak it since children but I have seen very few people learn it as an adult.

Here is a video
    I found an image with IPA symbols of my dialect... I'm surprised too! 29 consonants and 49 vowel!

http://api.baike.baidu.com/albums/hi...73581bafc3ab96

Although some sound are different from what I actually pronounce, because our dialect is different from village to village, from mountain to mountain, from countryide to city... which makes it even more difficult

Native language
    JA- English & Creole

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
    In fact a foreign speaker is more likely to be understood in both the Irish Gaeltacht and the hills of Jamaica than a native of either of those two would be in the other.
    Here we should make a distinction between pronunciation and grammar. The hills of Jamaica speak what many consider to be a language distinct from English.

Native language
    Makedonca

of course it's arabic, not only to pronounce but arabic is hardest language to learn.

Native language
    English - England

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBird View Post
    of course it's arabic, not only to pronounce but arabic is hardest language to learn.
    It depends on what you know. Arabic certainly has some sounds and makes distinctions that English for example does not have or make. It is the consonants that present a problem for many. However, in contrast the vowel system is quite simple and one can imagine a native Arabic speaker struggling with the large number of vowel sounds in English or French.

Native language
    High German/Danish

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBird View Post

There could be hundreds of languages you have never even heard of.

Native language
    Makedonca

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia View Post
    There could be hundreds of languages you have never even heard of.
    Yes, that's true.
    But bealive me that Arabic is one of the hardest, together with Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast