Thread: División de sílabas

Native language
    English, United States

División de sílabas

Good evening!

I'm just checking out a section of a Spanish grammar text (Avanzando, 6ª ed.) that deals with syllabification. It's all pretty straight-forward, but there's one part that just doesn't make any sense to me:

No se deben separar las sílabas de una palabra quedando al final o al principio de una línea o renglón una sola vocal.

Incorrectos: a-demás y simultáne-o
    Correctos: ade-más y simultá-neo

I don't really understand why the proper syllabifications wouldn't be: "a-de-más" and "si-mul-tá-ne-o." Could someone explain this to me?

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it!

iCiao!

Native language
    Argentina Spanish

Re: División de sílabas

Hi,

It would be "a-de-más" and "si-mul-tá-ne-o", but what the rule explains is that a vowel that is part of a word cannot be left dangling at the beginning or end of the line. If this is about to happen, you have to divide the syllables like: ade-más y simultá-neo.

I hope it helped.

Native language
    Spanish, Spain

No es incorrecto, pero se recomienda, por razones de elegancia, que al separar una palabra, ninguna vocal de esta quede sola al final o al principio de una línea:

Entonces vi a mi a-
    migo, y lo saludé.

Es preferible:

Entonces vi a mi ami-
    go, y lo saludé.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.

Native language
    American English

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus1907 View Post
    No es incorrecto, pero se recomienda, por razones de elegancia, que al separar una palabra, ninguna vocal de esta quede sola al final o al principio de una línea:

Entonces vi a mi a-
    migo, y lo saludé.

Es preferible:

Entonces vi a mi ami-
    go, y lo saludé.
    Según el DPD es incorrecto.
    2.3. Cuando la primera sílaba de una palabra es una vocal, no se dejará esta letra sola al final del renglón: amis- / tad, y no a- / mistad. Si la vocal va precedida de una h, sí puede dejarse esta primera sílaba a final de línea: he- / rederos.

Native language
    Portuguese (Portugal)

Guys, you are talking about two different things, syllabification (how to identify all the syllables in a word) and translineation (how to split a word from one line to the next when writing). It's only in the latter that leaving a dangling letter is advised against, for reasons of esthetics, and perhaps clarity.
    Deuparth gwaith yw ei ddechrau.

Native language
    English, United States

Oh! This makes so much sense, now that I understand that the rule was referring to translineation...

Thanks, Outsider and everyone!