Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smilies for wrong and right

Native language
    English - England

Smilies for wrong and right

I wonder whether it is possible to change the set of available smilies?

I would love to have a quick way of showing that I am giving an example of bad grammar, and another to flag the corrected version. I suppose I could use smile and frown like this:

John cans speak the english

John can speak English

But smile and frown are used so much in other ways. It would be good to have specific signs for this purpose.

What do you think?
    (Correggete il mio italiano, per favore. Il mio inglese invece è perfetto, tranne qualche 'typo'; se mi correggi lì, preparati per la guerra!)

Native language
    USA English
    I don't think it would be a bad thing........I actually think it is a pretty good idea as long as it isn't to hard to get done
    Count it the greatest sin to prefer mere existence to honor, and for the sake of life to lose the reasons for living.

Native language
    Argentina-Español

Thumb up/down

I think " thumb up/down" could work ; however, it only works on titles (or I don't know how to use it)

This one is good for bad grammar

Tormenta
    Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander. Ho

Native language
    UK, English
    You could use strikethrough text instead of a smiley, as at least two of us here do. There doesn't seem to be an icon for it above the message composition window, but you can do it by inserting the correct markup text into your message. Before the text that you want to strike through, enter '[ s ]' (but without the spaces; they're just there to stop the VB code from interpreting it as markup code). After the text, enter '[ / s ]' (again without the spaces). You should end up with something that looks like this.
    Garry

Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people - W B Yeats

Native language
    Argentina-Español
    Quote Originally Posted by garryknight
    You could use strikethrough text instead of a smiley, as at least two of us here do. There doesn't seem to be an icon for it above the message composition window, but you can do it by inserting the correct markup text into your message. Before the text that you want to strike through, enter '[ s ]' (but without the spaces; they're just there to stop the VB code from interpreting it as markup code). After the text, enter '[ / s ]' (again without the spaces). You should end up with something that looks like this.

It does not work Actually, it does!!!

Thank you Garry. Strikethrough!!!.....I'm going to enjoy this (my English teacher does it all the time, but she uses red )

Tormenta
    Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander. Ho

Native language
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Oh! That was it! Now I've cottoned on to it!! Thanks Garry!!!

Native language
    USA English
    ''____Let's see if I can do this...''

Okay!!! Wow, I've always wondered about this. I'm going to practice now!! Thanks for the 'leson' 'lisson'' lesson!

''Why do I end up with quotations?'' See? I don't want quotations. What am I doing wrong?
    Sigo aprendiendo, así que tienen el deber de corregirme

Native language
    Italian
    Well, I still think Rob's idea was good!
    Please do not PM me, my PM box is full. You can send an email instead.

Native language
    USA English
    no it wasn'tyes, it was!
    Count it the greatest sin to prefer mere existence to honor, and for the sake of life to lose the reasons for living.

Native language
    English - England
    I have now tried the strikout method, and I think my idea of smilies is better.

Strikeout is not available as a button; you have to know how to do it.

It involves quite a lot of typing, whereas a smilie can be put with a single click.

The result is not easy to read.

It doesn't give a way to say 'this is correct', only 'this is wrong'.

If we had, say, a green tick smilie for 'this is correct' and a red cross for 'this is wrong', I think it would be very easy for people to see what they mean and how to use them; and it would be really useful in writing instructional posts.

So I would like to see my suggestion implemented. I had a quick look at the vBulletin FAQs, and I think it should be possible. I will ask Mike.

While we are at it, it would also be useful to have smilies to indicate informal and potentially offensive usage. The Collins-Robert French-English Dictionary has an excellent code which goes like this:

* - expression is not part of the standard language, is used by all educated speakers in a relaxed situation, but would not be used in a formal essay or letter, or where the speaker wishes to impress

** - expression is used by some but not all speakers in a very relaxed situation. Such words should be handled with extreme care by the non-native speaker

*** - means 'Danger!' Such words are liable to offend in any situation, and therefore are to be avoided by the non-native speaker.
    So my next idea would be to have a smilie to play the role of '*'. Perhaps some form of exclamation mark?

Alternatively, one could three smilies, one for each level; but I think that would be harder to establish as an understood convention.
    Last edited by Rob625; 1st December 2004 at 7:40 AM.
    (Correggete il mio italiano, per favore. Il mio inglese invece è perfetto, tranne qualche 'typo'; se mi correggi lì, preparati per la guerra!)

Native language
    UK - English
    Great idea Rob and better than strikethrough for the reasons you've given. At the moment I enclose a 'bad' sentence in asterisks if I'm giving an example of incorrect usage, but I have no idea if anyone understands what I mean!
    Aprendemos de nuestras faltas. ¡No dudes en corregirme! Gracias

Native language
    Italy -I like English French and German
    [s]I want try too[s]
    Spicy
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Please correct the message if there is any error!

Native language
    [/s]second trial[/s] ... and go !
    Spicy

Native language
    third trial be patient.....
    Spicy

Native language
    USA English
    Rob, I see your point....smilies would be much cooler
    Last edited by vachecow; 4th December 2004 at 10:36 PM.

Native language
    Vietnam, Vietnamese
    Rob, I really like the idea of having such smileys in our posts.

And how about text graphics?

Correct/Incorrect
    Right/Wrong
    Grammatical/Ungrammatical
    Standard/Nonstandard

In English, French, Spanish, Italian, and German of course.

One problem: Currently, we can only embed a few graphics in each post. If a member asks a lot of questions or gives a lot of examples and wants to use 5+ smileys/graphics in his/her post, the bot will automatically ask the member to minimize the number of graphics before the message can be submitted and can appear.

Mr. Kellogg,

Could you lift the Too Many Graphics in Your Message Embargo Act. Pleaze pleaze pleaze?
    ~QH~

Native language
    US English
    This is a fascinating idea, using smilies as the international language of right and wrong.

I'm almost certain that we can add custom smilies, and maybe even other in-line graphics, to the forum.

Native language
    Italian
    Please do not PM me, my PM box is full. You can send an email instead.

Native language
    Spain - Spanish
    Quote Originally Posted by mkellogg
    This is a fascinating idea, using smilies as the international language of right and wrong.

I'm almost certain that we can add custom smilies, and maybe even other in-line graphics, to the forum.
    That would be cool, mkellogg The 11 static emoticons we have bore me and don't let me express myself Besides I'm fed up with stealing "smilies" from other sites
    Nunca te acostarás sin haber aprendido una cosa más
    Any correction is welcome

Native language
    Argentine, Spanish
    Quote Originally Posted by niña
    That would be cool, mkellogg The 11 static emoticons we have bore me and don't let me express myself Besides I'm fed up with stealing "smilies" from other sites
    Good tread!

I'm trying to practise it now, yeah
    In the other hand, I love smilies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast