Native language
    Spanish, Guatemala

medication refill/prescription refill

Necesito decir: "Please contact your pharmacy for medication refills."

Gracias!

Native language
    Mexico - Spanish/English

Re: medication refill/prescription refill

Hola, karin.... (tenía una amiga en la universidad con tu mismo nombre y apellido)... Bienvenida...

Yo diría:

Si necesita que le vuelvan a surtir su receta, por favor póngase en contacto con su farmacólogo/farmacia.

Saludos!

Native language
    Mexico, Español

Por favor ponte en contacto con tu farmacia local para volver a surtir el medicamento
    We wanted to change the world, we failed miserably. Now I just try to not let the world change me.

Native language
    English/US

Refill as a noun

Reading previous theads on the word "refill" I've got that "surtir la receta" or "repetir la receta" are accepatble translations- depending on country of origin. I also get that the concept of "refill" may be uncommon in Spanish-speaking countries, confounding the issue. This may be a longshot then, but is there a term for the noun "refill" as opposed to the verb? For example: "You have 3 refills left on your prescription".

Gracias,
    Deia

Native language
    Español salvadoreño

Re: Refill as a noun

Hola Deia:

Los términos mas utilizados en español, al menos los que conozco, como equivalentes para refill (aplicado a una receta) son:

v. re-surtir s. re-surtido - estos términos no figuran en el diccionario, pero son ampliamente utilizados. Viene de "surtir" y "surtido" a los cuales se les agrega el prefijo "Re" de repetición

v. renovar s. renovación - una famosa cadena de farmacias estadounidense usa estos términos como traducciones de "refill".

Finalmente te sugiero consultar estos hilos:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=222809
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=303335

Saludos,

Native language
    Spanish-English U.S.A.

Re: Refill as a noun

Hello,

Since the term "surtir" already means "refill", I think adding the "re-" to it is unnecessary.

Native language
    Spanish

Resurtir

I am an experienced medical interpreter, yet recently someone at work raised questions about the use of the word RESURTIR to mean, REFILL of medications.We have always used this term in Mexico and others from Latin America tell me the same thing. Just because the term does not appear in the Royal Academy of Spain official dictionary, is not reason enough to ban it from out medical vocabulary. I need an expert physician from Mexico to answer this question for me in the forum. Please notice I am asking about the correctness of using For example: Resurtidos: 2, or to tell me which term(s) will best describe this practice of refilling a medication in the USA. Awaiting an answer......

Native language
    Span: Pocho, Paisa, Chero, Chilango

Alizarin, I'm also an experienced healthcare interpreter, and I have also encountered the casual dispute to the use of the term "re-surtido". My personal take is that if "surtir" as defined by RAE is (tr. y prnl. Abastecer,proveer a alguien de algo que necesita), then, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using the term "surtir" for the verb "to refill", and "re-surtido" for the noun "refill". It's certainly better than the one option other "interpreters" are opting for: "refil".
    La vida un soplo, la muerte un vendaval,,,

Native language
    Spanish-English U.S.A.

"Surtido" is the word in Spanish for the noun "refill".

Native language
    Spanish (lunfardo)

Surtir, llenar, rellenar, abastecer, reabastecer, son todas palabras que se usan y son aceptables. No creo que podamos decir que alguna sea mejor que las otras: son todas buenas.
    Please correct my mistakes - We are here to learn from each other
    Por favor corrijan mis errores - Estamos aquí para aprender unos de otros

Native language
    Span: Pocho, Paisa, Chero, Chilango

amydafig, Thanks for the correction; of course, you're absolutely right!
    Sergio11, gracias; por supuesto que cualquiera de los terminos sugeridos son correctos, solo es question de escojer el que mas se adapte a la situacion/consulta particular.
    La vida un soplo, la muerte un vendaval,,,

Native language
    Español

soy farmacólogo y esta es la mejor respuesta que he leido aca, sencilla y precisa.. es llenar la receta de nuevo para que sea despachado el medicamento nuevamente una vez agotado este..

Native language
    U.S. English

Quote Originally Posted by Xilacayotl View Post
    Alizarin, I'm also an experienced healthcare interpreter, and I have also encountered the casual dispute to the use of the term "re-surtido". My personal take is that if "surtir" as defined by RAE is (tr. y prnl. Abastecer,proveer a alguien de algo que necesita), then, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using the term "surtir" for the verb "to refill", and "re-surtido" for the noun "refill". It's certainly better than the one option other "interpreters" are opting for: "refil".
    I don't see anything wrong with "refil" if it is used and understood by the population in question. I am an experienced medical interpreter, and, at first, I struggled with finding the best Spanish term to use for "refill". Interestingly, in my experience, our patients (young and old alike) seemed most comfortable using the anglicization "refil"; it is from hearing it used so often that I began to use the term myself, and it is almost universally understood by our (mostly Mexican) Spanish-speaking population. Surtir and resurtido always work too, though.

Native language
    Perú / Castellano

Quote Originally Posted by Nefaril View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with "refil" if it is used and understood by the population in question. I am an experienced medical interpreter, and, at first, I struggled with finding the best Spanish term to use for "refill". Interestingly, in my experience, our patients (young and old alike) seemed most comfortable using the anglicization "refil"; it is from hearing it used so often that I began to use the term myself, and it is almost universally understood by our (mostly Mexican) Spanish-speaking population. Surtir and resurtido always work too, though.
    Hi:

That is true ... only in US, not outside the border. You could use it as colloquial translation there but not in a formal text (medical article, medical report, etc.)

Spanish-speaking countries do not use "refil" at all.
    En el Perú el castellano es el idioma de uso común, y el quechua es una importante herencia de nuestro pasado inca.