Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

Native language
    English - Californian

Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo View Post
    That makes excellent sense except that, if that is the case surely we should find lots of instances of "If you think that you've got a different thing coming"

Google ngram finds not one single instance.
    Maybe that's just because you don't know how to use the phrase like a thing-ist! Here are some "things" without "another":
    well if that's her idea of fun she has something else coming to her.
    If he thinks these kids are easy to take care of he has something else coming to him.
    OK, those are more vernacular examples. Here's another one that's maybe a bit less controversial (possibly):
    One thing is for sure: People ordering this "smoothie" expecting a healthy afternoon snack have something else coming to them.
    We don't say "a different thing coming," but we do say "something else coming." Or sometimes we say something different (a very, very vernacular example):
    So this FUCKTARD thinks he can bully me into this?? Hahaha! My dude has something different coming to him!
    I think these examples demonstrate that the "thingists" have their own logic.

Native language
    English - England

One thing is for sure: People ordering this "smoothie" expecting a healthy afternoon snack have something else coming to them.
    That one actually makes sense but I don't believe it has much to do with this thread.

If I am expecting X to be delivered to me and I receive Y then there is no argument about the language, e.g.

I ordered an omelette but I got something else (a sandwich). or I ordered a healthy meal but I got something else (an unhealthy one).

I don't think even the most hardened thinkist would argue with that one.
    If you think that, you have another think coming!

Native language
    English - Californian

Except... All of us "thing"-ists hear that as a play on words, a clever use of the set phrase "another thing coming."

Native language
    English UK

I think lucas raised a very interesting question way back in post something-or-other: "how many think-ists are under 30?"

True confessions: this think-ist isn't under 30 - though in my head I will be 26 forever...

(I wonder: will the mods close this thread when the post-count reaches 666?)
    In these shoes?

Native language
    English, USA

Quote Originally Posted by JustKate View Post
    I agree that they "fall into the same category," but my point is that the fact that non-think constructions are relatively easy to find demonstrates that the expression has, for some, moved quite a distance away from the original joke. What makes the original funny or colorful or whatever is the juxtaposition of think that/another think, right? Well, in these examples think isn't used at all. Even if you used think in the second phrase, the joke (such as it is) is gone. Can you imagine anyone saying, "If you believe that, you have another think coming"? I can't.
    Oh, absolutely! I don't have to imagine it, I have heard it personally and I can find examples online:

http://www.cenews.com/print-magazine...liab-4698.html
    To some extent, that is a good reason to hone your technical skills. However, if you believe
    that flawless engineering will save the day, you have another think coming. Speak with civil engineers who have
    had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend litigation.

http://www.bigskyfans.com/hornets/vi...=1673&start=40
    Good players will make their presence felt regardless. And if you believe that we'll use two LBers on every single play, you've got another think coming.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,464385,00.html
    With Halford's return, the band and Owens ''have parted amicably by mutual agreement,'' the Priest publicist says, adding that Owens' former bandmates ''expect big things for him in the future.'' If you believe that, you've got another think coming.

It is such a common set phrase, in my experience, that the first "think" is not necessary. It means, to me, "you'd better re-think your opinion/position/assumption." It still fits here with that meaning.

(I prefer the use with the parallel construction but I don't think it's required at all, only a reference to an assumption or position or opinion.)

Native language
    English, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Loob View Post
    I think lucas raised a very interesting question way back in post something-or-other: "how many think-ists are under 30?"

True confessions: this think-ist isn't under 30 - though in my head I will be 26 forever...

(I wonder: will the mods close this thread when the post-count reaches 666?)
    Well, I'm approaching 30x2 rapidly. I don't know how you would be able to determine age. I looked on the Seventeen Magazine's advice blog and found this response from a 15-year-old when asked for favorite expressions:

http://answerology.seventeen.com/ind...it-me-upp.html
    some of my favs...
    *If you think I will, then you've got another think coming

I don't think it's age-dependent. I think it's more likely that it's passed from one generation to another in one form or the other.

Native language
    English - US

Well, James, then I don't want to hear another word about how the think/thing version is just so boring and bland compared to think/think. Your examples - nice googling, by the way - negate whatever cleverness the original had. I'm not saying you've said that think/thing is bland and so forth, because it's a long thread and I can no longer remember who said what. But some people have.
    "If you take hyphens seriously, you will surely go mad" - Oxford University Press style manual

Native language
    English, USA

As I use it I mean "you had better re-think that" combined with an undertone of "you're in for an unpleasant surprise/shock if you don't (because you are deluding yourself)". To me the cleverness is embedded in "another think". The first "think" is more... euphonious... but it retains its meaning even without the first "think", in my opinion and usage.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't use it to refer to receiving something, as in "If you ordered what you thought was an LCD TV, I'm sorry to say you've got another thing coming." You get an LED TV, for example, instead of an LCD TV. I wouldn't use "another think" there. That's where an earlier point in the thread got me wondering if there is a separate use of "another thing coming." However, if the first part of the sentence referred to an assumption or expectation I would use it: "If you bought the Smurfland TV with the expectation that you would be receiving a high-quality piece of equipment, you've got another think coming."
    Last edited by JamesM; 28th November 2012 at 12:00 AM.

Native language
    England, English

Quote Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
    As I use it I mean "you had better re-think that" combined with an undertone of "you're in for an unpleasant surprise/shock if you don't (because you are deluding yourself)". To me the cleverness is embedded in "another think". The first "think" is more... euphonious... but it retains its meaning even without the first "think", in my opinion and usage.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't use it to refer to receiving something, as in "If you ordered what you thought was an LCD TV, I'm sorry to say you've got another thing coming." You get an LED TV, for example, instead of an LCD TV. I wouldn't use "another think" there. That's where an earlier point in the thread got me wondering if there is a separate use of "another thing coming." However, if the first part of the sentence referred to an assumption or expectation I would use it: "If you bought the Smurfland TV with the expectation that you would be receiving a high-quality piece of equipment, you've got another think coming."
    Exactly how I use it.

But now I've just discovered that my younger son is a 'thing-ist' - when I asked him if he ever used the expression "if you think ..., you've got another think coming", his instant reaction was "Don't you mean 'thing'?" My conclusion is that today's young haven't paid as much attention to their parents' speech as my generation did - I blame television!
    Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education (Mark Twain). I wonder, what is broccoli?

Native language
    British English

Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    Exactly how I use it.

But now I've just discovered that my younger son is a 'thing-ist' - when I asked him if he ever used the expression "if you think ..., you've got another think coming", his instant reaction was "Don't you mean 'thing'?" My conclusion is that today's young haven't paid as much attention to their parents' speech as my generation did - I blame television!
    I really don't think so, with all due respect to the professorial. I think your son was paying attention to what mattered at the time - the issuing of some or other form of ultimatum.
    The felicity conditions for the appropriate issuing of either version are after all fairly narrow.

Moreover, I still think it highly likely that a child hearing the 'think' version would parse it as a 'thing' version relative to an awareness of other turns of phrase which also contain 'another thing', especially because those other turns of phrase do not require for there to be a specified initial thing to which 'another thing' provides an alternative.
    To whit: 'And another thing ...' and '...but that's another thing entirely'.

Native language
    UK, English

Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    My conclusion is that today's young haven't paid as much attention to their parents' speech as my generation did - I blame television!
    But have you really used the expression enough times in your life for your son to learn it? I don't think my father ever said it and I could probably count on two hands the number of times I've said it myself.
    Still, I must consult my nephew (37) some time to see what he thingks about it.

Native language
    English - British

Quote Originally Posted by Beryl from Northallerton View Post
    I still think it highly likely that a child hearing the 'think' version would parse it as a 'thing' version relative to an awareness of other turns of phrase which also contain 'another thing'
    This could certainly happen, but how likely is it? That is the interesting point.

Native language
    British English

Quote Originally Posted by wandle View Post
    This could certainly happen, but how likely is it? That is the interesting point.
    I think that you and I are in agreement in suspecting that the 'thing' version is supplanting the 'think' version. I think that we are at odds as to the likely mechanism by which this is occurs.
    I also suspect that our variance on that point is to be explained by our coming at it from opposite sides the fence. You're a 'thinkist' and I'm a 'thinger'.
    As a 'thinger' I see it as really rather likely, as this reflects my own experience. Let's just say that that's exactly how I've parsed it all these years.
    Reading the posts of other 'thingers', I'd say that holds for them too.

As a 'thinkist' I think you're on record (are you not?) as ridiculing the 'thinger's' position as untenable due to the absence of an initial 'thing' to allow for the felicitous use of 'another'.
    (Please feel free to correct me if you feel that I'm inaccurately characterising your position).
    But it seems to me that you'd most likely accept 'And another thing ...' and '...but that's another thing entirely' without creating a similar fuss.

To lend credence, I think that both of those forms are widely used (and in many different guises ... I think forms like 'that's another matter' fall into the same category), and are far more likely to be encountered before the subject phrase of this thread (in the course of a child's language acquisition).

Native language
    English - British

As a 'thinkist' I think you're on record (are you not?) as ridiculing the 'thinger's' position as untenable due to the absence of an initial 'thing' to allow for the felicitous use of 'another'.
    (Please feel free to correct me if you feel that I'm inaccurately characterising your position).
    Where do you think I said such a thing? I try to avoid ridicule.

Native language
    English USA, Northeast, NYC

During the past two days I've heard "think" in this phrase both on "Downton Abbey"—a British TV series—and NCIS—an American police drama.

Native language
    British English

Quote Originally Posted by wandle View Post
    Where do you think I said such a thing? I try to avoid ridicule.
    You may have come to the wrong place. I probably had this sort of thing in mind #449.

Native language
    English - England

But it seems to me that you'd most likely accept 'And another thing ...' and '...but that's another thing entirely' without creating a similar fuss.

To lend credence, I think that both of those forms are widely used (and in many different guises ... I think forms like 'that's another matter' fall into the same category), and are far more likely to be encountered before the subject phrase of this thread (in the course of a child's language acquisition).
    The problem here is that you are not giving context - a cardinal sin! I believe that if you did so by providing complete sentences, we could easily show that these are not parallel cases.
    If you think that, you have another think coming!

Native language
    Italian

I am a living proof ot the power of shallow reading...

When I first read the object of this post it was "A mispell by a fresh learner, obviously".

Now it is "I am a thinkist of strictest observance".

Thank you everybody for enriching my English in such a great way!
    Giannicola
    Any rehab for a WR-forum addiction at a worryingly advanced stage?

Native language
    England, English

Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    But have you really used the expression enough times in your life for your son to learn it? I don't think my father ever said it and I could probably count on two hands the number of times I've said it myself.
    I would have thought so - it is an expression that I grew up with, and I am reasonably sure that I used it on many occasions with my own children. And to me, there is a clear enough difference between the sound of the two for my son to have picked up on the same 'think' that I picked up on from my own parents. However, the latter has turned out not to be the case. Well, actually, I still have to ask my other son, but I'm afraid his response will be similar to that of his brother.

I have no desire to get involved in any arguments here about which version is correct, or even which is most likely to have been the original ( although I have doubts about the theory that they developed independently). However, several thinkists have discovered that their offspring don't share their version. I wonder, have any of you thingists discovered a similar thing amongst your children? I only ask this because at the moment, all the signs seem to suggest that the movement is one-way, from think to thing.
    Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education (Mark Twain). I wonder, what is broccoli?

Native language
    English - US

I don't have any children so I can't speak to that. Just this weekend, though, I asked my husband - without prompting him one way or another - about this. Keep in mind that we grew up 3,000 miles apart with parents who also grew up thousands of miles apart. He unhesitatingly said "thing," and - like so many of us - was surprised to find out that there was any difference of opinion on this at all. I asked a couple of other people, too, again without prompting, and all were thingists. So in my little corner of the world, there is some indication that thing has already won.

Me, I think there's plenty of room in the world for both thingists and thinkists.
    "If you take hyphens seriously, you will surely go mad" - Oxford University Press style manual

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast