Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 866

Thread: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Near Bordeaux, France
    Native language
    Native speaker of pukka UK English
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Here's my vote : the "think" version is original and logical and the only version I have ever consciously heard. However, it appears that owing to dialect pronunciations it has sometimes been heard as "thing" and repeated so that this version has become in some places or social milieux too established to be called "wrong". But among well-educated native speakers of standard British English (what the BBC used until a few years ago) it is still wrong.

    The proof that "think" is the original version is found in the fact that the expression is never used unless the word "think" has already occurred earlier in the sentence ("If you think that...") No synonym will do.

    BTW Google hits :

    "You've got another think coming" = 325000
    "You've got another thing coming" = 41200
    "You've got another thing coming" -Judas = 24800

    The thinks have it !

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Native language
    English UK
    Posts
    36,406

    Re: You've got another thing coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by prof2 View Post
    Having been a language teacher for nearly 30 years, I can, without ANY doubt, unequivocably, and absolutely certainly assure you that the correct term is "you've got another THINK coming, " not "thing!". The "thing" version makes absolutely no sense grammatically. In fact, I will even be bold enough to say that anyone who argues for the "thing" version being correct is, simply put, rather ignorant !
    That'd be "unequivocally", right?
    In these shoes?

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    This septic isle!
    Native language
    NW Englandish English
    Age
    50
    Posts
    28,689

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Native language: english-american
    Posts: 1
    I'm sure you're a lot more careful with capitalization when you're teaching, Prof2
    Welcome to Pedants R Us We Are Pedants.
    Edit yourself ~ its less embarassing than someone else doing it for you,

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Geordie in SW London
    Native language
    British English
    Posts
    4,392

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Loob

    Blimey, sumfink else wo' uh fing abow inni'.

    It looks like a fun summer ahead.

    Hermione

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Native language
    english-american
    Posts
    11

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Mplsray: I certainly am not ashamed of my boldness in correcting something that is as blatantly wrong as "thing" in this case. Am I perfect? Obviously not! Is that an excuse for letting it slide by? Absolutely not! So I shall continue to be this bold.
    Last edited by prof2; 28th June 2010 at 3:28 PM.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Girona, Spain
    Native language
    English (U.K.)
    Posts
    9,569

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mezzofanti View Post
    Here's my vote : the "think" version is original and logical and the only version I have ever consciously heard. However, it appears that owing to dialect pronunciations it has sometimes been heard as "thing" and repeated so that this version has become in some places or social milieux too established to be called "wrong". But among well-educated native speakers of standard British English (what the BBC used until a few years ago) it is still wrong.

    The proof that "think" is the original version is found in the fact that the expression is never used unless the word "think" has already occurred earlier in the sentence ("If you think that...") No synonym will do.
    I must admit that I've never paused to consider this phrase; for as long as I can remember, I, my parents and grandparents and everyone I know have said 'another thing coming'
    However, I must admit that your argument is totally compelling, and also I found this reference so I have to bow to the inevitable.

    (but I'm not going to stop saying thing)

  7. #107
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Native language
    English - England
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,504

    Re: You've got another thing coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by prof2 View Post
    Having been a language teacher for nearly 30 years, I can, without ANY doubt, unequivocably, and absolutely certainly assure you that the correct term is "you've got another THINK coming, " not "thing!". The "thing" version makes absolutely no sense grammatically. In fact, I will even be bold enough to say that anyone who argues for the "thing" version being correct is, simply put, rather ignorant !
    I just love it when people pole up calling others ignorant, so I'm now desperately trying to think of a good argument for "thing". My mum always said "another thing coming" when I was a child, but, having embarked on reading this thread, it suddenly occured to me that it probably was "think" rather than "thing (I have to say I have never really thought about it before", but now I've read this arrogant little post (and you can forget about posting your opinions all those veteran Word Reference members who are also English teachers/linguists/grammarians and have been for many years, this guy is right!) I'm arguing for THING. You've got another thing coming if you think I'm ignorant.

    So there. ;0)

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Native language
    english-american
    Posts
    11

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    My apologies to anyone who was offended by my stated "boldness" on this topic. Such was not my intention. In the future, I shall refrain from expressing my opinion on such matters. Again, my apologies.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Native language
    English, USA
    Posts
    27,054

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by prof2 View Post
    My apologies to anyone who was offended by my stated "boldness" on this topic. Such was not my intention. In the future, I shall refrain from expressing my opinion on such matters. Again, my apologies.
    Personal opinions about the phrase are welcome here, as long as they are acknowledged to be opinions. Opinions about the relative ignorance of those who have a differing opinion are not.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    England
    Native language
    English - England
    Posts
    2,267

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    This thread is really interesting, because I've only ever heard people use Fenixpollo's "you have another thing coming". The "thing" in question is something of a threatening nature that may happen to you if you insist on thinking that way.....
    As far as I know "think" is not a noun in the formal sense, but only used informally, to mean "a period of thinking". This would then make the sentence mean "if you think that, you have another period of thinking coming to you", or "if you think that, you can think again".

    Perhaps both are valid? Language is so confusing!

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Native language
    english-american
    Posts
    11

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    JamesM: I can do no more than--again--express my apologies for the offense. I do not know what else to do.
    Last edited by prof2; 28th June 2010 at 4:44 PM.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    This septic isle!
    Native language
    NW Englandish English
    Age
    50
    Posts
    28,689

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Just in case anyone's interested, I've always been a thinger rather than a thinker.

    (I should probably rephrase that ...)
    Edit yourself ~ its less embarassing than someone else doing it for you,

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Native language
    english-american
    Posts
    11

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Ewie... I appreciate a good sense of humor, and that's a good one.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Native language
    English - American
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by prof2
    Having been a language teacher for nearly 30 years, I can, without ANY doubt, unequivocably, and absolutely certainly assure you that the correct term is "you've got another THINK coming, " not "thing!". The "thing" version makes absolutely no sense grammatically. In fact, I will even be bold enough to say that anyone who argues for the "thing" version being correct is, simply put, rather ignorant !
    Hilarious since "think" is definitely not grammatically correct (it should be "you have another THOUGHT coming") and "thing" actually IS both logically sensible and grammatically correct... or were you never informed that thoughts are things, professor?

    By the way, I must say, I'm a thinger, too, but the more I think about it, that Judas Priest song might sound even more badass had they used "think." Rob Halford could have sang that bit with emphasis that would actually sound extra tough: "you've got a nother think coming." Sing it in your head. The emphasis sounds extra tough when you split the words "think" and "coming," no? Almost like he's spitting at you or there's an exasperated breathy sound to it.
    Last edited by panjandrum; 27th September 2010 at 8:54 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Belfast, Ireland
    Native language
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Age
    67
    Posts
    48,897

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    You have a choice.
    You can have the grammatically dubious, but semantically valid, "think" version.
    Or you can have the grammatically correct, but semantically flawed, "thing" version.
    As it is a colloquial expression, and the one I was brought up with, I opt consistently for "think".
    However, I have become a lot more tolerant since arriving in this forum and it is quite some time since last I burnt a "thing"er at the stake.
    It takes two to tangle.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Native language
    English UK
    Posts
    36,406

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Grammatically dubious, panj? OED's first citation for "think" as a noun dates from 1834. And I, personally, often sit and have a drink ooops think.

    Tolerance? Bah. Hang, draw and quarter the "thingers", say I. Unless they're nice to me and say I'm pretty, of course.
    In these shoes?

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mid Atlantic, US
    Native language
    American English (Mostly MidAtlantic)
    Posts
    555

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    I'm afraid I have to vote for "think". It may be semantically incorrect (to some).. but it's the only logical choice as the phrase is: "If you think you are (blah blah blah) then you have another 'think' coming."

    Why would I have another 'thing' coming ? What 'thing' ?

    The fact that many say "thing" does not make it the correct phrase, it makes it an incorrect phrase that many people use.

    it really boils down to: You thought 'x'. What you thought was incorrect and you need to rethink it and come up with something different.

    The language is abused and tortured daily. Eventually, perhaps, it will give in. Then the pundits amongus will go back searching for the root of the evil and find the culprit who made the mistake in the first place.

    If you think I'm wrong.. you've another 'think' coming.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    This septic isle!
    Native language
    NW Englandish English
    Age
    50
    Posts
    28,689

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by preppie View Post
    Then the pundits amongus will go back searching for the root of the evil and find the culprit who made the mistake in the first place.
    Well, good luck with that, Preppie
    Edit yourself ~ its less embarassing than someone else doing it for you,

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Native language
    English-American
    Age
    73
    Posts
    81

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    It's think in most of the USA. I think that thing is merely a misstatement of the original by someone who didn't hear the "K."

  20. #120
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Native language
    English, USA
    Posts
    27,054

    Re: You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by margiemarz View Post
    It's think in most of the USA. I think that thing is merely a misstatement of the original by someone who didn't hear the "K."
    <moderator note: Please review the entire thread. Many people in the USA subscribe to "think" and many subscribe to "thing". If there is one thing that this thread has pointed out, it is that there are significant numbers of people who use either variant and are sure it is the only correct version. >

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •