Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Words or Phrases

Native language
    France French

Re: Favorite Words or Phrases

I don't know if I've got favorite words or phrases, but I'm aware I've got "verbal tics" in English.
    For instance, I've just realized I'm often using only as a conjunction where everyone else tends to use however, nevertheless, but, ......

I guess it comes from a novel I once translated: I got contaminated.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them....well, I have others." (Groucho Marx).

Native language
    xxxxx

Dicitencello vuje = Diteglielo voi

Lucariè scetate songh 'e nnove!

Puorte o cazone cu 'nu stemma arreto = blue jeans
    Last edited by gatogab; 27th July 2010 at 1:29 PM.

Native language
    Español castellano.

Quote Originally Posted by Encolpius View Post
    I've just seen this word on TV and I think it's really cool: erection supervisor. I really think thy should call it different.
    And what on earth is that supposed to be?
    Last edited by Bashti; 27th July 2010 at 7:11 PM.
    Quandoque bonus dormitat Homerus.

Native language
    Czech

My favorite word in Czech - vývěva - vacuum pump
    3 V and no other consonant

Native language
    xxxxx

Appena arrivato in Italia leggevo un romanzo di Fedor Dostoevskij, il cui nome non ricordo, e mi sono imbattuto in una frase che non ho mai dimenticato.
    Eccola:
    'Aveva lo sguardo smarrito in un beato rapimento"

Native language
    Spanish

Re: Favorite Phrase or Word

Quote Originally Posted by mjscott View Post
    I like the words:

I like the word
    esperanza
    in Spanish. In English, hope can be quantified by the measure of hope the person hoping has in something. In Spanish, la esperanza means the waiting. It's as if hope has transcended hopelessness, and is now a matter of waiting for what you hope for to come to pass. It's a much stronger word than the English word hope.
    Are you sure of that? maybe you think so because the verb "esperar" in Spanish has different meanings (hope, wait and expect). Sin enbargo el sustantivo correspondiente a cada verbo sería esperanza, espera y expectativa.
    Last edited by Ibermanolo; 3rd August 2010 at 6:43 PM.

Native language
    Spanish

Por norma general me gustan las palabras en español de origen árabe que empiezan por "a" y pronunciando las zetas interdentales (como en España).

Azucena
    Azahar
    Aceite
    Acequia
    Alhelí
    Azúcar

Native language
    English - USA

spoof!

zigzag.

spurious.
    A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. ~Maya Angelou

Native language
    English - USA

Re: Favorite Phrase or Word

Quote Originally Posted by Ibermanolo View Post
    Are you sure of that? maybe you think so because the verb "esperar" in Spanish has different meanings (hope, wait and expect). Sin enbargo el sustantivo correspondiente a cada verbo sería esperanza, espera y expectativa.
    Hmm. I also find this an unfamiliar definition of "esperanza."

For me, esperanza = hope.

I don't find it stronger in Spanish.

Do others?

~g
    A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. ~Maya Angelou

Native language
    Spanish

For me "esperanza" sound very hopeful, so I like this word. I also like these phrases because they are quite philosophical and untranslatable.
    What is the matter? Never mind.
    What is mind? It doesn't matter.
    In German I like "wissenschaftlich bewiesen" because it sounds so scientific and awe inspiring, especially if you pronounce it with "true" German accent.
    Hillel taught: "A person who is too shy to ask questions will never learn. (Pirkei Avot).

Native language
    xxxxx

A tonga da mironga do kabulete.
    "É uma expressão que não quer dizer nada de bom. Diz-se que em áfrica, quando um africano a diz a outro, parece que as tribos entram em guerras terríveis. E que comem o figado um do outro. Esta última palavra da expressão: "kabuletê", tem algo a ver com mãe de um deles..."

Native language
    English - USA

Quote Originally Posted by gatogab View Post
    A tonga da mironga do kabulete.
    Re:
    "É uma expressão que não quer dizer nada de bom. Diz-se que em áfrica, quando um africano a diz a outro, parece que as tribos entram em guerras terríveis. E que comem o figado um do outro. Esta última palavra da expressão: "kabuletê", tem algo a ver com mãe de um deles..."
    Incredibly cool. Thank you for sharing this.

(They don't seriously eat each others' livers, do they?)

And who would you use "A Tonga da Mironga do Kabuletê" in context? Would you say it to a friend, as if to say "Here comes trouble"?

Thanks again!

~genève

p.s. For non-Portuguese speakers:

roughly means:

"It's an expression that doesn't mean anything good. It's said that in Africa, when one African says this to another, it looks like tribes are going to get into terrible wars. And that they each each others' livers. The last word in the phrase, "kabuletê," has something to do with the mother of one of them..."

Native language
    English - USA

Re: "A tonga da mironga do kabuletê"

I found this: "A Tonga da Mironga do Kabuletê" on Wikipedia.

I also found a wonderful video on Youtube of Vinicius de Morães & Toquinho on RAI-TV in Italy when Toquinho was SO young... (in 1972).

The music is fabulous,

and Vinicius speaks quite a bit of Italian!
    (To the sheer delight of the live, on-set audience.)

~g

P.S. You can find this video by searching Youtube for: "De Moraes and Toquinho - A tonga da mironga do kabuletè" and selecting the second video.

The intro text is: "Vinicius De Moraes and Toquinho are guests of italian tv show "Senza Rete", introduced by Paolo Vilaggio, after a medley of their major songs they play "A tonga da mironga do kabuletè"(in italian) 1972."

Note: It is not the first video (with a url ending in 'C7g9D5VApxE') — although in that one, you can hear Vinicius speaking in Spanish!

Native language
    French

After spending a few years in Italy, also called "lo stivale" (the boot), I wasn't able to live without the word capito? (You get it? / Are you with me?). I love "capito?" because it is one word only. And I always use it, no matter what language.
    In Spanish I like piel de toro (a nick name again, this time for "Spain").
    In FrenchI like the sound of "j'adore".
    In German I like "alles zusammen" (all together), "krankenhaus" (hospital) and "unmöglich" (impossible). Just for their sound.

In Catalan I like almost everything so I leave a refrain: "Si vols esser ben servit, fest'en tu mateix el llit" (If you want a good treat make your bed yourself)
    and the title of a work by Tapies: "El despertar sobtat" (Sudden wake up). And by the way look at it!

I am not sure of my Catalan spelling.

Native language
    French

Quote Originally Posted by Ibermanolo View Post
    Por norma general me gustan las palabras en español de origen árabe que empiezan por "a" y pronunciando las zetas interdentales (como en España).

Azucena
    Azahar
    Aceite
    Acequia
    Alhelí
    Azúcar
    ¡Fenomenal! Tienes un montón de razón. Son palabras preciosas.
    Y también suenan de maravilla:

alféizar (me gusta muchísimo)
    alcahueta
    alcalde
    aljibe

En español encontré una palabra "sobrado" que es difícil traducir a otros idiomas sin usar paráfrasis. El harén a menudo se esncontraba en el sobrado. Un pueblo en Galicia se llama sobrado de los Monjes y no es fácil explicar lo de sobrado.

Native language
    French

Quote Originally Posted by Heredianista View Post
    Incredibly cool. Thank you for sharing this.

(They don't seriously eat each others' livers, do they?)

And who would you use "A Tonga da Mironga do Kabuletê" in context? Would you say it to a friend, as if to say "Here comes trouble"?

Thanks again!

~genève

p.s. For non-Portuguese speakers:

roughly means:

"It's an expression that doesn't mean anything good. It's said that in Africa, when one African says this to another, it looks like tribes are going to get into terrible wars. And that they each eat each others' livers. The last word in the phrase, "kabuletê," has something to do with the mother of one of them..."

Native language
    English - USA

Quote Originally Posted by Blechi View Post

Oops! Funny. ; ) Thank you. : )

Native language
    Spanish

In Russian I like (sorry for my transliteration)
    Tschus Tschus, means slowly.
    Shurry murry (or something like this) and it means "to bill and coo", "to whisper sweet nothings" . Of course it's a onomatopoeic expression imitating doves.
    There was a bar/restaurant in St. Petersburg with this name, maybe it's still there.
    Hillel taught: "A person who is too shy to ask questions will never learn. (Pirkei Avot).

Native language
    Russian (Moscow)

Quote Originally Posted by Spharadi View Post
    In Russian I like (sorry for my transliteration)
    Tschus Tschus, means slowly.
    I think you are confusing it with Greman tschüss (good bye / so long).

The only Russian word that is similar is tchut-tchut, it means "a little bit"

Native language
    Spanish

It's not a confusion. It would be quite fantastic to confuse German with Russian...
    You write чуть-чуть and for foreign ears ть sounds slightly like an s, because of the soft sign.
    Last edited by Spharadi; 8th August 2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast