Thread: vaselina - fútbol

Native language
    Spain Spanish

vaselina - fútbol

Hola a todos! Estoy traduciendo terminología del futbol y me he encontrado con algunos "pases" o acciones que no sé cómo traducir al inglés o incluso si se dicen en inglés. Por ejemplo:

Vaselina (cuando se dispara el balón y sigue una trayectoria curva pasando por encima de varios jugadores)

¿Sabéis cómo se diría en inglés?
    Si hay varias formas de decirlo, también lo agradezo. Y si conocéis alguna página donde aparezcan más tipos de pases o lanzamientos os lo agradeceré muchísimo.

Gracias por adelantado.

Native language
    Waray-Waray

Re: vaselina - fútbol

Hola anacriss.

vaselina (cuando se dispara con el baló en el suelo): chip
    vaselina (cuando se dispara con el baló en el aire): lob
    Last edited by JeSuisSnob; 4th June 2010 at 7:59 PM. Reason: remove off topic terms (rule 2).

Native language
    British English

Banana shot or Curler maybe.
    Por favor, corrígeme si me equivoco (yo haría lo mismo por ti).

Native language
    English - UK

Supongo que es necesario usar un adjectivo, como "curving (ball/shot)" or "swerving (ball/shot)" para traducir vaselina.

Perdón por mi español, por favor.
    Last edited by JeSuisSnob; 4th June 2010 at 7:52 PM. Reason: remove off topic comments (rule 2).

Native language
    Waray-Waray

Hello Masood and El escoces. A vaselina is a delicate upwards and then downwards curving shot, not one which curls, curves or swerves from one side to the other.

Native language
    British English

Quote Originally Posted by peterfenn View Post
    Hello Masood and El escoces. A vaselina is a delicate upwards and then downwards curving shot, not one which curls, curves or swerves from one side to the other.
    Ah. I missed the word encima in the original. I'd go for lob as a translation for a long shot. Chip for a shorter distance shot.
    Por favor, corrígeme si me equivoco (yo haría lo mismo por ti).

Native language
    Spain Spanish

Thank you very much!

Thanks
    Last edited by JeSuisSnob; 4th June 2010 at 7:58 PM. Reason: remove off topic comment (rule 2).

Native language
    English - England

We tend to try to translate a noun as a noun, but in many cases this is not the best option.

As far as I am aware, there is no noun for "vaselina".

If the kicker tries to score a goal directly from a free kick ("tiro libre") by sending the ball over the heads of the defenders in the wall ("pared"? "barrera"?) we have to use verbs, eg "He sent his free kick over the wall but it also cleared the bar" ("...... pero voló por encima del travesaño"). Alternatively you could use "chip" as a verb: "He chipped his free kick over the wall").

Native language
    English - UK

But surely you might also say (the commentator might say, for example), "Oh, that was a beautiful lob/chip" and thus use it as a noun?

Native language
    English - England

It depends on the circumstances. If it were a free kick struck hard from outside the penalty area, and it cleared the wall, I wouldn't call it a lob or a chip. "Lob" suggests a more vertical trajectory and "chip" suggests a rather more delicate touch.

Native language
    Waray-Waray

Quote Originally Posted by sound shift View Post
    It depends on the circumstances. If it were a free kick struck hard from outside the penalty area, and it cleared the wall, I wouldn't call it a lob or a chip. "Lob" suggests a more vertical trajectory and "chip" suggests a rather more delicate touch.
    But in the situation you describe (a free kick) it would never be called a vaselina in Spanish. I know what you mean about the dangers of the tendency to translate nouns directly with nouns, but in the case of football especially there is a striking similarity in the structures of language commonly used, i.e. nouns / verbs in both languages for the same situation.

In any case, for the free-kick situation in English surely we could say "What a great free-kick!", or something similar using a noun?

Native language
    Español - Perú

It's a chip shot.

Moderation note: links to videos are not allowed (rule 4). Sorry.
    Last edited by JeSuisSnob; 4th June 2010 at 7:57 PM.