Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mettersi insieme

Native language
    Italian

Mettersi insieme

How do you say in English "mettersi insieme"? I mean the exact moment in which you decide you want to become boyfriend and girlfriend with someone.

Thank you!
    Corpus Christi, TX. Richard King High School 2005

Native language
    Italian

Re: Mettersi insieme

Puoi dire "to get together".

Brevity is the soul of wit - Le persone intelligenti hanno il dono della concisione

Native language
    Malta. Maltese and English

Ciao Ludo87,

You can also say "started dating" or "started seeing him/her" or "started seeing each other".

For example you could say "they started dating last Christmas".

Native language
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
    Ciao Ludo87,

You can also say "started dating" or "started seeing him/her" or "started seeing each other".

For example you could say "they started dating last Christmas".

Mettersi insieme
    is something you do after dating the other person for a while.

Brevity is the soul of wit - Le persone intelligenti hanno il dono della concisione

Native language
    Italian

What about "become an item"? I see it used in magazines but I have no idea if it's used in conversation.

Native language
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Paulfromitaly View Post
    Mettersi insieme is something you do after dating the other person for a while.
    In my opinion,I see "to date" as "frequentare" and I think it is different from "mettersi insieme". I would say "get together", probably.

Sara
    Last edited by seawaves; 26th May 2008 at 4:25 PM. Reason: (Ops!Sorry for the repetition of my post! I didn't realize it!)

Native language
    UK ENGLISH

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo87 View Post
    How do you say in English "mettersi insieme"? I mean the exact moment in which you decide you want to become boyfriend and girlfriend with someone.

Thank you!
    We used to say:
    To start going out with someone

Native language
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    We used to say:
    To start going out with someone
    I don't know if we mean something different here, but as I see it

Incominciare ad uscire insieme means start dating someone regularly, with a big chance to get eventually together.

Mettersi insieme means to get together, that is to decide to be a couple in a stable relationship.

Native language
    UK ENGLISH

I don't know if we mean something different here, but as I see it

Incominciare ad uscire insieme means start dating someone regularly, with a big chance to get eventually together.

Mettersi insieme means to get together, that is to decide to be a couple in a stable relationship.
    Yes, Paul, quite right!

Mettersi insieme, "to be a couple in a stable relationship is", I think, the equivalent of the AE expression "to go steady" and I agree it's different from incominciare ad uscire insieme, "to start going out with someone"....

Native language
    English - American

"go steady" is the right meaning, but sounds a bit "old" now...very popular in the 1950s.
    Today, you might say, "we're seeing each other exclusively"...it's not as efficient as "go steady", unfortunately, but more current.

Native language
    UK ENGLISH

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMezzo View Post
    "go steady" is the right meaning, but sounds a bit "old" now...very popular in the 1950s.
    Today, you might say, "we're seeing each other exclusively"...it's not as efficient as "go steady", unfortunately, but more current.
    Thanks, but if you read the original question, they weren't asking that!

This "go steady" business was brought up for clarification: have a look at the original post and see what you'd say in AE for "mettersi insieme".....

Bye!
    Jo

Native language
    United States (AE)

Maybe, "We decided to see each other exclusively" or "It became serious."

Native language
    English - American

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Thanks, but if you read the original question, they weren't asking that!

This "go steady" business was brought up for clarification: have a look at the original post and see what you'd say in AE for "mettersi insieme".....

Bye!
    Jo
    That is what I meant... for "mettersi insieme" in the sense of "the exact moment in which you decide you want to become boyfriend and girlfriend with someone" I would say "now seeing each other exclusively". Otherwise, it would just be "get together", which doesn't really get the meaning.

Native language
    Italian

So you don't actually have an expression for that precise act? I mean, if you don't have a way for saying it, it also mean that you can not propose it to someone.

Like, if you have been dating a guy for a while and you decide you want to get serious with him, how do you tell him? Meaning, from now on we are no longer friends but boyfriend and girlfriend.

And then, if it is not a precise moment, you can't have a sort of "anniversary" of the couple, right? you can just say that you've been dating that guy for 2 years, no matter if the first 6 months you didn't even kiss him.
    Corpus Christi, TX. Richard King High School 2005

Native language
    English - American

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo87 View Post
    So you don't actually have an expression for that precise act? I mean, if you don't have a way for saying it, it also mean that you can not propose it to someone.

Like, if you have been dating a guy for a while and you decide you want to get serious with him, how do you tell him? Meaning, from now on we are no longer friends but boyfriend and girlfriend.

And then, if it is not a precise moment, you can't have a sort of "anniversary" of the couple, right? you can just say that you've been dating that guy for 2 years, no matter if the first 6 months you didn't even kiss him.
    Sorry if this is disappointing, I don't know of any better way to say it!

Some couples do keep track of the day they "became serious" or decided they were "not just friends anymore". The issue never arose with my husband...from the first date, it was clear to the both of us that we were "exclusive", because we had already been friends for several years before we started dating. However, if I had needed or wanted to make a statement, I could have said, "So, are we seeing each other exclusively?", or "I would like this relationship to be exclusive, do you agree with that?" Believe me, an American guy will know exactly what a young woman means if she uses the word "exclusive".

Like I said, I'm sorry, but I don't think there's anything better I could offer you. Perhaps in Britain or Australia they have a better term or phrase to convey the full meaning of "mettersi insieme", but I wouldn't know. I hope you find what you're looking for.
    Last edited by SoCalMezzo; 27th May 2008 at 3:10 AM.

Native language
    UK ENGLISH

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMezzo View Post
    Like I said, I'm sorry, but I don't think there's anything better I could offer you. Perhaps in Britain or Australia they have a better term or phrase to convey the full meaning of "mettersi insieme", but I wouldn't know. I hope you find what you're looking for.
    Hello!

We'd say "to start going out with someone", or "to start seeing someone", I think (!), i.e. the moment in which you decide to TRY being a couple: if an American said "to start dating someone", would that mean the same, or as Paul suggests, does it come before "mettersi insieme"? (Personally, I wouldn't say "to date someone" at all in BE, but it may have slipped into British usage!)

Thanks again!
    Jo

Native language
    Australian English

In Australia going steady (Jo's suggestion) and became an item (giovannino's) conveys mettersi insieme. Seriously dating is another.

Native language
    italian

Well, it seems to me that if you go out with someone than he is your boyfriend.... is it right? If I say to my boyfriend that "tonight I'm going out with XY" he might get mad!
    I think there are many misunderstandable meanings °_°

Native language
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by edfnl View Post
    Well, it seems to me that if you go out with someone than he is your boyfriend.... is it right? If I say to my boyfriend that "tonight I'm going out with XY" he might get mad!
    I think there are many misunderstandable meanings °_°
    That's not true.
    You can go out with your male friends too.

From my point of view (male last time I checked..)

Conoscere una ragazza = Meet a girl.
    Dare un'appuntamento ad una ragazza = Go out on a date with a girl.
    Uscire con una ragazza regolarmente/freqentare = Go out with a girl, always the same girl, on a regular basis.
    Mettersi insieme = Decide to be a couple, boyfriend and girlfriend, in a stable relationship (commitment)
    I don't know if we still make a distinction between mettersi insieme e fidanzarsi (be fiancee, get engaged )

Native language
    UK ENGLISH

That's not true.
    You can go out with your male friends too.

I don't know if we still make a distinction between mettersi insieme e fidanzarsi (be fianced, get engaged )
    To me, to get engaged is fidanzarsi , which is what a young cousin of mine did recently AND she got an engagement ring!

By the way some people write fiancéd...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast