¿Cómo te llamas? / ¿Cómo se llama?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Bellsie, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Bellsie New Member

USA - English
    Hi everyone!!
    If I were to introduce myself to someone approximately my own age who I have never met before, would I use ¿Cómo te llamas? or ¿Cómo se llama? I've been reading all about "tutear" and that makes sense, but how do I first begin conversation with someone (tú versus usted)??

Thank you so much!!!!! I appreciate your time and advice!!! :)
  2. boyaco

boyaco Senior Member

Colombia, Spanish
    that varies a lot from country to country, region to region, person to person
    If you want to be safe, use "usted"
    If the person is the same age, as you say, and it's an informal setting, you could probably use "tu"
    I never used "tu" with anyone at all until I left my country :)
    I know most mexicans use "tu" most of the time in this case. It sounds weird to them (and probably to most spanish speakers) to be addressed formally. (I'm talking about an informal setting like the one you described)
  3. westopia Senior Member

vs usted, it may depend on how old are you both, and the context in which you´re introducing yourself. Maybe the context is more important than the age, because, both of you may be in your twenties or in you forties, but if you´re looking for a job (just an example) you can´t ¨tutear¨ the interviewer. This is just my opinion.

But if it´s an informal context of course you may ¨tutear¨.

Besides ¿Cómo te llamas? or ¿Cómo se llama? you may also say ¿Cuál es tu/su nombre?

Hope this helps.
  4. crises

crises Senior Member

EU Spanish/Catalan
    "Tú" or "usted", in European Spanish, depends on the relationship you want to keep with your partner.

In informal chats, no one would use "usted" unless the other person is really old. Nowadays, most of the people in Spain tend to think that "usted" is only used with old people, so some people might find it is offensive as you consider that they are old.

However, in formal (business, academics, shop assisstant/customer...) conversations, "usted" is strongly preferred as "tú" would sound too informal.
  5. MaRRoFunk New Member

"usted" it can be use too when u ask the name (in this case) to someone u respect, it doesnt matter if he or she is younger than u