1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

¿Qué clase de perro es esa que lleva Laura?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by loureed4, May 16, 2014.

1. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hola,

He traducido la frase que da título a este hilo, como sigue:

What kind of a dog is that that Laura is walking ?.

Yo creo que tengo que usar "a" porque es un perro en concreto, el que pasea Laura.

Por otro lado: "What kind of dog is more suited to be trained to find drugs in airports?" . Aquí creo que no es necesaria la "a"

¿Es así? . Tengo muchas dudas respecto a ésto.

Gracias anticipadamente! :)

2. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Simply put: What kind of dog is Laura walking?

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  3. levmac

levmac Senior Member

No longer here.
    Creo que los dos valen en los dos casos. Prefiero decirlo sin artículo en los dos casos.

4. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thanks for your replies!

Yesterday, in a movie: "What kind of a man would hit his wife?" (if my memory serves me well, the verb was "hit" or "beat")

I am trying to figure out when "a" is used.

Thanks a lot again.

5. mijoch Senior Member

British English
    For me the "a" suggests that the speaker doesn't think much of the dog.

6. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    I think so, too.

7. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    I didn't understand this mijoch. :)

8. levmac

levmac Senior Member

No longer here.
    1) Both hit and beat make sense.

2) you could also say "what kind of man...?"

3) the others are suggesting "what kind of a..." is used in sentences with a negative connotation. Here, it would mean "you are a disgraceful man".

9. Fana-DR New Member

Utah
    Spanish/English USA
    Both sentences are correct. However, since phrases like 'what kind of' are referring to a 'type', not an individual, the article 'a' is not mandatory. Consider the phrase 'what kind of dog.' Dog is a type here, not a specific dog.

10. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    I see. So, it is just optional , but not mandatory. Is there no absolute difference in meaning, not even the one Levamc points out "negative connotation if 'a' is used" ?

Thanks both! :)

11. Fana-DR New Member

Utah
    Spanish/English USA
    "When people say 'what kind of dog', they take 'what' to fill the obligatory determiner slot for 'dog' and the 'kind of' becomes somewhat transparent. At some level, they are asking 'what dog.' This would be somewhat analogous to the subject-verb agreement in cases like 'what kind of dogs' are those...' (cf. what kind of dogs is that. ..).

Those who focus on 'kind', may be more prone to see the determiner slot for X as unfilled and fill it with 'a', just as they may force number agreement between 'kind' and 'is' in the example above."

Does that make sense to you?

12. mijoch Senior Member

British English
    Maybe there are English speakers somewhere to whom the "a" has no effect on the meaning.

I speak a version of BE (there are many), and there is a difference.

13. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Gosh, nice (but difficult for me) explanation. I really appreciate you taking the time. Maybe if I reread it three times ( I have already done it twice).

THANKS!

14. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    thank you mijoch !! , very helpful !!