1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

¿Te gustaría que alguien robara tu dinero?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by SeekingJesus, Apr 8, 2012.

1. SeekingJesus

SeekingJesus Senior Member

Estado de México
    Español mexicano
    I'm trying to say "¿te gustaría que alguien robara tu dinero?"
    my try is "Would you like that someone steals your money?"
    or maybe "Would you like someone to steal your money?"

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    Would you like someone stealing your money?

3. ealefrak Junior Member

VA. USA
    English (USA)
    Would you like it if someone stole your money?

4. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    For me that works well if spoken and with stress on 'you' and 'your'.

Also:

"Would you like it if someone stole your money?" and better,
    "Would you like it if someone stole money from you?" ('your money' implies 'all your money' which complicates things more than the Spanish version does).

And, depending on the intonation and context, "How would you like it if someone stole money from you?"

"Would you like that?" means you are offering someone 'that', and you can't continue the question grammatically in modern colloquial English

syd

5. liljozee Junior Member

Spanish - Spain
  6. smallworld17 Junior Member

English - United States
    "Would you like someone stealing your money?" isn't incorrect. But, generally speaking, "Would you like it if someone stole your money?" is more common.

7. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    "someone stealing your money (from you)" funciona como si fuera un sustantivo.

"Would you like sausages?"
    "....................someone stealing your money?"

syd

8. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    So "...stole your money" is the correct form. Thanks. I was going to write it like that, but I opted for the "...stealing..." form. Thanks.

Difficult to discern in English, do you know of any good resource the English Subjunctive Mood on the Internet?

9. smallworld17 Junior Member

English - United States
    There is also another way to say it, now that I think of it: "Would you like it if someone were to steal your money?" That brings the subjunctive into it.

10. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    Correct. But that's the subjunctive of being and not stealing.

11. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    What we don't have from the context is whether this is said in a situation where some has actually been stealing money from someone else, or whether we are just philosophising .

"(How) would you like someone stealing (money) from you?" is possible when the 'stealing' is very present - perhaps your friend thinks you are not being supportive enough when he/she is looking for some sympathy.

"How would you like it if someone was/were stealing/if someone had been stealing money from you?" here the 'process of stealing' is still the important idea. You can make a case for 'was' in this case to maintain the vividness and keep the reality of the situation - using 'were' makes it more obviously, and some would say more grammatically, hypothetical.

"How would you like it if someone stole money from you?" is the simple dry hypothetical question.

syd