À la prochaine

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by riah, Jan 24, 2007.

1. riah Junior Member

British Columbia
    Canada - English

I believe à la prochaine is equivalent to the English "See you"? Is its usage just as casual as the English equivalent as well? In other words, is it typical to use à la prochaine at the end of emails or letters to an acquaintance, even if one doesn't intend on literally seeing them again?

And, if I may ask, what are some other typical French phrases to end emails/letters to casual acquaintances?

2. DDT

DDT Senior Member

Paris, France
    Italy - Italian
    The most common of which I can think is "a plus (tard)" ("@ +" is even more casual, almost chat/sms-style)
  3. riah Junior Member

British Columbia
    Canada - English
    Thanks DDT.

In meaning/usage, there's not much difference between "a plus (tard)" vs. "a la prochaine", is there? They're both essentially equivalent to a casual "see ya" or "later", right?
  4. Quebeca

Quebeca New Member

French - Québec, Canada
    Hi Riah,
    In usage, "à plus" is definitely casual, meanwhile "à la prochaine" and "à plus tard are not that casual. As for the meaning, I may be wrong but I sense that "à plus tard" (see you later) means that these people will see each other sooner than "à la prochaine" (see you next time..)
  5. DDT

DDT Senior Member

Paris, France
    Italy - Italian
    It depends. It is true that basically "à plus" should only refer to a very short term, yet it has become a casual way to also express "à la prochaine" (in written, casual emails) in a shorter way

6. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

French (lower Normandy)
    IMO, "à la prochaine" may be a bit less informal than "à plus", but I would definitely not recommend it in a business context, emails,...
    I'm not sure shopkeepers would use it with customers they've never seen, while they could use "À bientôt".