À la six-quatre-deux

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by bobo, Jan 26, 2006.

1. bobo Senior Member

Qu'est-ce que ça veut dire et y a t’il une expression équivalente en anglais?
  2. lawlore Junior Member

UK (English)
    Not sure what the convention on referring to other sources is here, but from http://globule.cs.vu.nl/~gpierre/french.php :

Être habillé à la six-quatre-deux
    To be dressed any old how (literally: "to be dressed like six-four-two")
  3. bobo Senior Member

Cool thanks.

In fact, I've always heard it used in reference to other things, "des projets à la six-quatre-deux," for example, but based on what you found I'm going to assume then that the meaning is something like "not thought out; disorganized; or messy" unless someone says otherwise.
  4. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
  5. judkinsc

judkinsc Senior Member

English, USA
    I don't believe there is an expression in English, with numbers, that refers to being badly dressed.
    There is, however, the expression "to be dressed to the nines", which means to be very well-dressed.
  6. Hocuspocus

Hocuspocus Junior Member

Ottignies, Belgium
    Français Belgique
    "To be dressed to the nines" est dons l'équivalent anglais de "Etre sur son trente et un" ?
  7. Monsieur Hoole Senior Member

Canada English

There is the expression to be at sixes and sevens, which means to be all muddled up:)
  8. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    La Grive was right on spot, about the expression coming from a bungled drawing : I found this on a website :
    dessiner un profil de bonhomme à la six-quatre-deux : le six dessine l’oeil et le front, le quatre, dessous, forme le nez, et le deux une bouche ouverte et un menton pointu

I took a paper and a pen, and I tried, and it worked !!!
    I'm so glad I can draw, now :p
  9. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
  10. bobo Senior Member

Thanks, you guys rock!