1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Área de Oportunidad

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Dalanis, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Dalanis Junior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish, Mexico
    Hello!

Field and topic:
    I would like to know the correct English for the Spanish phrase "área de oprtunidad"; this term is used to describe how something can be improved, in this case a construction project.

---------------------

Sample sentence:
    Áeeas de oportunidad del presente proyecto:

Thanks! :)

2. Ed the Editor

Ed the Editor Senior Member

Hi, Dalanis.

Welcome to the forums!

The most direct translation would be "area of opportunity". I don't know construction terminology, either in English or in Spanish, but I don't see why you couldn't use it.

I hope this is useful.

-- Ed

3. HUMBERT0

HUMBERT0 Senior Member

I remeber when we use to say "we have made this and that error", or we have shortcomings, disadvantages, etc. now we say "tenemos estas o aquellas áreas de oportunidad, it’s a polite and positive way of saying theirs room for improvement

4. B-RoK New Member

Tampico, Tamaulipas, México
    Spanish, México
    I was looking for the same answer for this question. I know this thread was made about 3 years ago, but I hope my answer can help someone else.

I found out "área de oportunidad" can be translated as "improvement opportuniy", that means "oportunidad de mejora".

I think it's the same idea, so we can use this translation instead of "area of opportunity".

Good luck!

5. shesdynamite Junior Member

Orihuela-Costa
    English (England)
    I translate this phrase into English as "Room for improvement". It is a polite way of saying suggesting something could be done better and is fairly positive and constructive.