1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Älä koskaan anna musiikin sisällä kuolet.

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by pablosfon, Mar 23, 2014.

1. pablosfon Junior Member

portuguese
    Hello everyone!
    I want to translate to finnish this sentence: "never let the music inside of you die". Is that a correct and friendly way to say it in finnish: "Älä koskaan anna musiikin sisällä kuolet"? Thank you! :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    I think it would be

Älä koskaan anna musiikin kuolla sisältäsi (literally "Never let the music die out from inside of you")

but I don't know if this is the most idiomatic way of saying it in Finnish.

3. pablosfon Junior Member

portuguese
    Oh I see. Kiitos!
    :)

4. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    Gavril's suggestion is very idiomatic, I love the ablative! :) (My first thought was "Älä koskaan anna musiikin sisälläsi kuolla", but it didn't sound as "pure".)

If you want even more umlauts, you can also say "Älä koskaan päästä musiikkia kuolemaan sisältäsi".

Just one detail... If I'm not mistaken, in English it's normal to say in everyday speech that music or any noise "dies". In Finnish we don't normally say that, so the metaphor in this sentence might sound more powerful in Finnish.

5. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    Instead of "kuolla", I'd say "vaieta". In my ear vaieta sounds even more powerful than kuolla in this context.

I would translate it "Älä koskaan anna sisäisen musiikkisi vaieta" or even "Älä koskaan anna sisäisen laulusi vaieta" (depending on the context, of course).