Él esquía bajo el cielo. (Skis vs skies)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by endlesspain, Sep 30, 2013.

1. endlesspain

endlesspain Senior Member

spanish
    It's flabbergasting how annoying and difficult some words can be, for a non English speaker like me, when you try to learn how to differentiate them in your mind.
    I have this silly doubt about these two words which are similar in the writing but their meanings are utterly and completely different.
    If I'm not mistaken, "skies" is the plural form of "sky", meaning "cielo", "firmamento", in Spanish.
    And, if I'm right again, the word "skis" is the third person singular of the present tense of the verb "to ski", and its meaning in Spanish is "esquiar".
    Then, although they are very similar, those words mean completely different things.
    Therefore, the following sentence would be right like this: "He skis under the blue skies of France at least once a month".

2. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    That is a perfectly correct and normal sentence in English.

I'm not sure why you think it is a problem. The words are spelled and pronounced differently.

Noun: sky - plural skies [ skay]
    Noun: ski - plural skis [skihi]

Verb: "to ski" - 3rd person sing. skis

3. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    The words are similar, but the spelling is different and the pronunciation is different. Your example is correct. He skis under the skies...

4. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    P.S. This is not only true in English. Spanish has many possible confusions.

bienes (property), vienes (2nd sing of venir)

or

Ora en la hora.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. juan2937 Senior Member

Spanish
    I would like to add it is a regular verb

Ski-----Skied-------------skied gerund skiing.

6. endlesspain

endlesspain Senior Member

spanish

Thanks to all of you...Biffo, for me it's rather difficult because those two words are very similar when you write them...I suppose that if you are a native English speaker and you are used to write and pronounce both words since you are a child, then it must be pretty easy being able to differentiate them.