1. Marcos Arroyos Junior Member

Austin, Texas USA
    USA English
    ¿Cuál es la diferencia entre "único/únicamente" y "sólo/solamente"?

Por ejemplo he traducido una frase así:

Contactos solamente por teléfono no son suficientes.

¿Es mejor con "únicamente" en vez de "solamente"?

2. apathet Senior Member

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    USA (English)
    I believe that "único" has more of a numeric connotation. Like you would never say "soy la sola persona que come frutas en mi casa". You would say "soy la única persona". I would assume that the difference between the adverbs would be similar.

3. apathet Senior Member

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    USA (English)
    It also seems that "únicamente" would be used more like "solely" in English whereas "solamente" would be more like "only".

In the case of your sentence, I would actually question how important it would be to convey that word. Could it be left out and still get the message across? What did the original English text say?

4. Marcos Arroyos Junior Member

Austin, Texas USA
    USA English
    The English says: Contacts by telephone alone are not sufficient.

5. K-Milla

K-Milla Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico-Spanish
    Contacts by telephone alone are not sufficient = Contactos via telefónica no son suficientes

Soy la única en mi casa que detesta el platano/banana = I am the only one in my family that hates bananas.

Sólo por esta ocasión permito que comas un chocolate antes de la cena = Just this time I'll let you eat a chocolate before dinner

Solo/Únicamente nos queda este color = This is the only colour left

Sorry if my English translations are not correct :eek:

6. apathet Senior Member

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    USA (English)
    How about "no es suficiente comunicarse por teléfono" or something like that? Or maybe even "no es suficiente reportarse por teléfono". I don't really know the context of the sentence...

7. Marcos Arroyos Junior Member

Austin, Texas USA
    USA English
    The document is a letter regarding Trade Readjustment Assistance in the U.S. Generally, claimants must attend training in order to receive TRA. However, if the person can get a waiver, he can just look for work like you would for regular Unemployment Insurance. Also, generally, UI will allow you to make contact with potential employers by telephone, but TRA doesn't. It requires recipients to make job seeking contacts in person. Therefore, the need for emphasis on "contacts by telephone alone."