1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. oui translate Senior Member

Spanish - France
    Hello,

I need help with this term in english: FLEUR DE PEAU....

thank you for your help!

Oui Translate

2. Keigan Senior Member

français Canada
    Will you give us some context please?

3. oui translate Senior Member

Spanish - France
    UNE GAMME QUI ENSORCELLE À FLEUR DE PEAU....

This is the phrase that needs translation, it is a title, describing the range of a new fragrance that is being launched......

The translator has written:

A RANGE THAT ENCHANTS SKIN-DEEP

And i am not sure this is good, since "à fleur de peau" for me means that it is on the contrary, at the surface of ths skin, not skin deep....

Thank you,

OT

4. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    A range that captivates as no other?

5. Keigan Senior Member

français Canada
    I don't think "skin deep" conveys the same thing than "à fleur de peau". This expression means "close to the surface of the skin".

6. oui translate Senior Member

Spanish - France
    This could be a good option..;I really don't think we can translate the meaning of it by using words like skin or surface....I mean, litterally it would mean that this range is so captivating, that we have it at the surface of our skin..which is not something said....so A RANGE THAT CAPTIVATES AS NO OTHER is I think, a good option......

I will keep it and see if anyone else can come up with another option...
    I am curious to know.

Thanks,

Oui Translate

7. Keigan Senior Member

français Canada
    Literal translation is absolutely out of question.

But it could be something that says "it feels good on the skin".

8. oui translate Senior Member

Spanish - France
    yes, i wrote it down as well, not bad.
    thank you,
    OT

9. Lokah New Member

Vietnamese
    The dictionary says that "à fleur de peau" means oversensitive, highly strung. So une gamme qui ensorceille à fleur de peau could mean une gamme qui fait plaisir à merveille, that enchants you extremely or as our friend has said, that captivates you like no other.
    I have seen that expression in the context, "les adolescents ont souvent des réactions à fleur de peau".

10. oui translate Senior Member

Spanish - France
    Thank you for your answer. I have noted it on my glossary for future reference.

OI

11. stumerr Senior Member

US
    US English
    UNE GAMME QUI ENSORCELLE À FLEUR DE PEAU...

Je poste pour clarifier le sens de "Skin-deep" et de faire un essai à la broderie du marketing pour le glossaire de Oui Translate, si j’ai de la chance. En fait, Skin-deep se réfère seulement à la surface de la peau et n’a rien avoir avec “d'être profond.” Je crois que le terme vient de l’expression, “Beauty is only skin-deep,” qui signifie que c’est quelque chose de superficiel qui n’a aucune profondeur. Comme dans ce contexte fleur de peau suggère "juste sous le surface de peau," je propose,

A Range whose Enchantments are more than Skin-Deep

Ça sonne à l’oreille?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  12. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    England & English (UK version)
    I like "skin-deep" (or maybe simply "superficial" in this context) for the text which I sought this thread out for: a film review which says "...le lyrisme fervent et brouillon de sa réalisation ne sauve pas son propos, entre icônes naïves animées et miracles à fleur de peau.."

13. stumerr Senior Member

US
    US English
    "Skin-deep" used to be pejorative. Is it still?

14. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    England & English (UK version)
    I think so, ("His interpretation of the book was only skin-deep.") except for literal meanings ("The wound was only skin-deep.")

Lokah's example of oversensitive adolescent reactions: we might say "thin-skinned".

It seems "à fleur de peau" has at least a couple of rather different meanings, according to context.