1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

à l'entrée de (prestation sociale)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by mh595, May 21, 2011.

1. mh595 Junior Member

English
    Hi!
    I'm struggling with this sentence:
    Cela montre que ces derniers ne profitent ni n'abusent du systeme de soins, ce qui va à l'encontre des arguments justifiant une participation financière forfaitaire à l'entrée du dispositif AME

This shows that the latter neither take advantage of, nor abuse, the healthcare system, which goes against the arguments which justify a standard contribution (??) when starting to claim state medical aid (AME).

I'm really not sure on this sentence! Any help appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    AME is free state medical aid. There is currently a project by French government : foreigners will have to pay 15€/year to be allowed to get AME.

Participation forfaitaire = fixed / flat rate / lump fee
    à l'entrée = to be allowed to enter the AME system

3. mh595 Junior Member

English
    Hi! Thanks, that helps a lot with "participation forfaitaire". I'm still a little confused with "à l'entrée de" though, because it is not a verb, so it can't mean "to be allowed to enter". I just wondered if there was an English word that we use to mean "when you start receiving a benefit", instead of "at the entrance to AME", which doesn't make sense in English!

Thanks! :)

4. carog Senior Member

England - Hampshire
    French - France
    I understand the same as Michelvar : "to access"