1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ámbito estricto de un núcleo familiar clásico

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by gembo, Mar 6, 2008.

1. gembo Junior Member

Jávea, España
    English (UK) and German (Germany)
    Hi,

Could someone please have a look at this and help me translate it?

Esta posibilidad excluye del tipo penal a los modelos de enseñanza que desarrollen en el ámbito estricto de un núcleo familiar clásico o incluso comunidades cerradas de estructura cuasi-familiar, sin perjuicio de la indeclinable obligación de los poderes públicos de velar por el cumplimento de las previsiones mínimas que no son otras que garantizar el respeto a los principios constitucionales.

My own translation is something like this. It doesn´t seem to make much sense. :confused:

This excludes the type of offence to develop educational models in the field of a strict classic nuclear family or even closed communities of quasi-family structure, without prejudice to the unwavering obligation of public authorities to ensure compliance with minimum provisions, that are not another, that ensure respect for the constitutional principles.

Thank you very much for any help!

2. inkpaduta Junior Member

Barcelona
    English in Catalonia
    I'm afraid that this reply is far too late to help you, but it may help others.

The phrase is the subject line refers to the "strictly defined limits of the traditional nuclear family". I think traditional works better than classic. (The implication would be that what grandparents or cousins or aunts and uncles do are not excluded.)

In any case, the basic problem with your translation is that it gets the exclusion wrong. What is excluded is "educational models"--introduced by the preposition a--and they are excluded from tipo penal--introduced by the preposition de. Although I don't know what comes before your passage, this sentence seems to be saying that the educational approaches pursued in the traditional nuclear family are excluded from some set of criminal-law considerations that have preceded the passage. I imagine it's about discipline, corporal punishment or something like that, so it would be logical.

By the way, it's okay to translate sin perjuicio de in a less legalistic way as "subject to".