1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Andrew25 Junior Member

U.S. - English
    In a movie I'm watching, a guy is watching people walk by and is trying to choose which person he wants to talk to about something, he decides on someone and says "Ése mismo." Now, it seemed to me, from the context, that this would mean "That one" or "that guy", and that's how the English subtitles translated it: "That one."

But I've never heard this before, and I've never heard "mismo" used in this manner--I just wanted to check with some native Spanish speakers here to make sure that is the right translation and also I was hoping someone could shed some light on how the word "mismo" is used and what it means here: why is it necessary? wouldn't just "ése" alone suffice to mean "that one"? what exactly does "mismo" do, does it add emphasis kind of like if you emphasize the word "that" in "that one" in English, like this: "that one!"?

If it makes any difference, the speaker in question is Cuban. Thanks.

2. Little Chandler

Little Chandler Senior Member

La Coruña
    español (ESP)
    You're right, Andrew25. If he had said "ese" the meaning would have been almost the same.

The word "mismo" suggests that his decision has not much foundation and he could have picked (more or less) any other person.

For example:

- ¿Que sobre elijes, el rojo o el amarillo?
    - Da igual... El amarillo mismo.

As for the translation... it's your turn. :rolleyes:

3. Little Chandler

Little Chandler Senior Member

La Coruña
    español (ESP)
    I'm thinking that another way of saying it would be replacing "mismo" with "por ejemplo".

Ese, por ejemplo. = Ese mismo.

4. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I'm surprised -- I thought the "mismo" made it more definite, not less.

5. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    I thought that a literal translation would be "that very one, which is not particulaly idiomatic in this context but conveys the sense of definiteness.

6. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I agree with Little Chandler in that adding the "mismo" makes it sound as if he weren't really bothered about the choice. The idea it conveys to me is a bit like "That one will do".

7. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    I too am surprised. My immediate thought for 'ese mismo' was 'that one there'. And it certainly fits the scene as described in English.

8. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Perhaps it depends on the intonation?

9. Lurrezko

Lurrezko Senior Member

Junto al mar
    Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    Concuerdo con Little Chandler e Inib:

Puede denotar también elección indiferente entre varias posibilidades:
    «Te llevaré a Lisboa. Cuando tú quieras, mañana mismo, esta noche» (MñzMolina Invierno [Esp. 1987]).

Pero pospuesto también puede significar lo contrario: no sólo no indica indiferencia, sino que hace hincapié en que se habla de esa circunstancia y no otra:

Mañana mismo te pago, no te preocupes.

Yo no veo cambio en la entonación, así que me pregunto también cómo se distinguen.:)

Un saludo

10. stellamy New Member

Italian
    Hi Andrew, "mismo"could be translated into English as "itself" but not in this context.
    I think that a better translation should have been " This one " downright coould have been added but maybe this would have been too much!

11. Archilochus Senior Member

New Mexico
    American English
    Judging from what the native speakers have said, I'm wondering if "the very one" (spoken with a tone of indifference or irony) wouldn't be correct here.

12. Lurrezko

Lurrezko Senior Member

Junto al mar
    Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    Supongo que la diferencia la da el contexto o, a menudo, las palabras que completan la oración. Un par de ejemplos:

- ¿Ahí vives tú?
    - Sí, ahí mismo.
    (exactamente ahí).

- ¿Dónde lo pongo?
    - Ponlo ahí mismo.
    (ahí, por ejemplo)

- ¿Qué camisa le vas a comprar a tu padre? ¿La azul?
    - Sí, esa misma. Le gustó desde que entró en la tienda.
    - Sí, esa misma. Total, no se la va a poner.

Un saludo

13. Mate

Mate Senior Member

Argentina
    Castellano - Argentina
    Por si de algo vale abundar, concuerdo con lo dicho por Lurrezco. Además, sirve de este lado del Atlántico también.

Saludos

14. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Yo pienso que "ese mismo" se puede tranducir como "that's the very one" en este caso.

15. Wandering JJ

England
    British English
    ¿Te das cuenta de que al escribir eso estás en desacuerdo con casi todo hispanohablantes y de acuerdo con el solo gringo británico que vive en Inglaterra? :D

16. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Mm. No creo que seas el único gringo británico viviendo en Inglaterra.

17. Wandering JJ

England
    British English
    Debiera haber agregado: 'en este hilo'.