être lié au secret professionnel

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Idiha, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Idiha Senior Member

English - UK
    Good morning everyone!

"Les fonctionnaires de l'Inspection alimentaire qui connaissent le nom du produit, sont liés au secret professionnel."

and my English translation:

"The food inspection civil servants who know the name of the product are bound to professional secrecy."

This is about the ingredients on product packaging.

I think that lié à un secret= bound to secrecy or sworn to secrecy, but I'm not sure about "professional secrecy", I have never heard it used this way.
    Can someone please help?
    Thank you
  2. carolineR

carolineR Senior Member

Indian Ocean
    professional secrecy seems ok : see here :)
    are bound to or bound by ?
  3. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
    I would use "bound by" rather than "bound to". I have a hard time explaining why, though. (Perhaps to avoid confusion with the expression "bound to do something" suggesting inevitability: "It's bound to rain because we've bought all this food for the picnic".
  4. Idiha Senior Member

English - UK
    Caroline and Aupick, you've been a great help to me, thank you ever so much! :)
  5. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    In British English the term "professional confidentiality" is more common.
  6. Idiha Senior Member

English - UK
    Thank you Pyan :) Perfect!
  7. Nicosito Senior Member

French and UK English, ferpectly bilingual
    The original meaning of to bind here is synonymous with "to tie", as in knots, with rope. As in "my hands are tied" (by the obligation of confidentiality for example). So it follows you are bound by it/subject to it rather than just attached to it.

(Also, yes, bound to suggests a verb will follow).

8. Lezert

Lezert Senior Member

french, France
    One remark concerning the french sentence : the preposition "au" is not ( up to me ) really correct:
    One should say either:
    ...sont liés par le secret professionnel
    ...sont tenus au secret professionnel