1. Lillita

Lillita Senior Member

Istanbul
    Hungarian
    Hola a todos: :)

According to RAE:
    ósculo
    1. m.cult. Beso de respeto o afecto
    My question is: Does this word have an English equivalent or it is simply translated as "kiss"?

Thanks a lot in advance! ;)

2. walkiria Senior Member

Avellaneda
    Argentina, español
  3. krolaina

krolaina Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish, Spain
    Hi Lillita:

It appears so...look at this.

4. casiopeak New Member

Spain, Spanish
    Hi!
    The meaning of "ósculo" is "kiss", but it is an Spanish euphemism, so we don't use that word so much...

5. Lillita

Lillita Senior Member

Istanbul
    Hungarian
    Thank you! :)

6. bellotojuanfra

bellotojuanfra Senior Member

Zaragoza
    Español-Extremeño-Badajoz
    Hi there!

Ósculo almost has the same form in English and both belong to the literature. Impossible to use in a casual conversation and very difficult even in a educated conversation.

Saludos.

7. Elibennet

Elibennet Senior Member

Buenos Aires Argentina - castellano
    In Argentina it has a rather funny meaning, because it´s old fashioned and absolutely unused in normal speech. In fact, I don´t think young people know what it is.

8. bellotojuanfra

bellotojuanfra Senior Member

Zaragoza
    Español-Extremeño-Badajoz
    Por favor, permíteme saber cuales son esas connotaciones, nunca es tarde para aprender cosas nuevas en mi propio idioma...por si paso por Argentina.

Saludos.

9. Lillita

Lillita Senior Member

Istanbul
    Hungarian
    A little background information:

I happened to hear this word on the radio. Some people whose mother tongue was Spanish were asked whether they knew the meaning of this word or not and the final result is that 80% of those who were asked had never heard about this word. The statistics show that women were better at knowing the meaning of "ósculo". :D

Saluditos ;)

10. Berenguer

Berenguer Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    Well it isn't an euphemism, it is just a smart, literary or uncommon and old fashioned way of saying kiss. It is a learned synonym not a euphemism.

On the other side, it's a pity that so many young spaniards know this pretty word.