œuf mollet, dur ou à la coque

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by valskyfrance, Jul 1, 2008.

1. valskyfrance Senior Member

do English people make a difference between "oeuf mollet" and "oeuf à la coque" ? I found the same word in the WR dictionary for the two of them :
    Soft-boiled eggs.

See here if it's help : http://adelirose.free.fr/dossier/preparer/oeufs.htm

Thanks a lot :)

MODERATOR NOTE: This thread is now merged to contain several similar threads
    NOTE DE LA MODÉRATION : Nous avons fusionné plusieurs fils traitant de ce même sujet

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
    : gastronomy
  2. constantlyconfused

constantlyconfused Senior Member

English - British
    oeuf mollet is a soft-boiled egg, the other is simply boiled, without specifying hard, soft or anything else. I think.
  3. valskyfrance Senior Member

so : boiled is for " à la coque"
    soft-boiles for : "mollet"
    and hard-boiled for "dur" ?

thanks again :)
  4. constantlyconfused

constantlyconfused Senior Member

English - British
    But I've just looked at your link, and now I'd question my previous understanding. If that is correct, then I don't think there is a general distinction in English.
    Would most French people automatically distinguish between the two?

Most people have a preference as to how they like their eggs boiled and would specify it by saying a 3/4/5-minute egg...
  5. Fred_C

Fred_C Senior Member

When you say "oeuf à la coque", you describe the way you eat it, and not exactly the way you boil it.
    Indeed there is no difference when boiling your eggs if you want to eat them like "oeufs à la coque" or like "oeufs mollets".
  6. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Bonjour, :)

My dictionary suggests for :
    œuf mollet => lighly boiled egg & soft-boiled egg.
    œuf à la coque => (soft)-boiled egg

However, there is a difference between the two when you cook them.
  7. tkjazzer New Member

My French friend told me:

" oeuf mollet is slightly more cooked and you peel it and eat it like a hard boiled egg except the yolk is runny. But the white is solid enough (unlike a la coque) that you can peel it."

Her explanation was short and over chat so it is not perfectly clear, but I think I prefer oeuf mollet currently :)
  8. franc 91 Senior Member

English - GB
    Just to add to the information given on your link - les oeufs cocotte, which are another form of soft boiled eggs, in English are called coddled eggs - because they are cooked in egg coddlers (ramequins) www.egg-coddlers.com these are a typical item on une liste de mariage.
  9. becel

becel Senior Member

There's definitely a difference between oeuf mollet and oeuf à la coque, one being more runny than the other one. It's all in the cooking time: 3 to 4 mns for the oeuf à la coque after the water has boiled, 6 mns for the oeuf à la coque. See http://www.lamarmite.com/dossier_004.php (la cuisson des oeufs).
  10. ando51 Senior Member

UK, English
    Hello all,
    I'm translating a catalogue with a variety of different gadgets. This entry is about an egg timer/basket. I'm just not sure about the difference between an oeuf coque and an oeuf dur...I would have thought they were both boiled eggs. Thanks for any help!
    Bien installés dans ce panier en silicone souple, les œufs sont délicatement déposés dans la casserole. Une assurance anti-casse et la certitude d’une cuisson parfaitement maîtrisée grâce au minuteur central. Coque, mollet ou dur...
  11. Lly4n4 Senior Member

Paris (ex-Grand Ouest)
    Français (France)

I think there are already several threads on the subject of the boiled egg but:
    - à la coque : 3 minutes dans l'eau bouillante, le blanc est saisi, le jaune liquide, on le mange servi dans un coquetier en commençant par casser le sommet.
    - mollet : 5 à 7 minutes de cuisson, le blanc est complètement cuit, le jaune plus ou moins.
    - dur : 10 minutes de cuisson, blanc et jaune sont cuits.
  12. Yendred Senior Member

Français - France
  13. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

French (lower Normandy)
    It depends on the cooking time:
    œuf à la coque : 3 min / soft-boiled egg (to eat with soldiers/fingers of bread)
    œuf mollet : 6 min
    œuf dur : 9 min / hard-boiled egg (to eat on its own, with mayonaise, in salads,...)

Edit: we seem to agree with Yendred, except for the precise time of an œuf dur :D
  14. ando51 Senior Member

UK, English
    Thanks to both, I think we only have soft boiled or hard boiled in the UK will probably go with that.
  15. Lly4n4 Senior Member

Paris (ex-Grand Ouest)
    Français (France)
    You're welcome. And that's a pity, because oeuf mollet are really good :)

"mid-boiled egg"? "lukehard-boiled egg"? "just-boiled egg"? :)
  16. Omelette

Omelette Senior Member

UK English
    Yes, there have been threads before, including 'œuf mollet / œuf à la coque'. And no one so far seems to have come up with a translation which differentiates between the two. Most likely a recipe would specify 'boil for x minutes'. But if you wanted to show all the things this gadget is capable of maybe: 'soft-boiled' 'medium' 'hard-boiled'. (?)
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013