že jej v jeho krutém islamistickém tažení

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by Tennessee Trev, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Tennessee Trev New Member

English - England
    Dear all,

I was reading an article about Obama's relationship with Syria (and the Middle East more generally) and came across this sentence:

Bílý dům váhal poslední roky ohledně toho, nakolik podpořit syrskou opozici, tak dlouho, až ji tamní režim částečně utopil v krvi a zbytek se při tom zradikalizoval natolik, že jej v jeho krutém islamistickém tažení, kde není nouze ani o stínání hlav či ukřižování oponentů, není schopna zastavit ani armáda současného Iráku.

(http://dialog.ihned.cz/komentare/c1-62401580-obamovo-iracke-vahani)

I take this to mean something like: "Over the last few years the White House has hesitated over the extent to which they will support the Syrian opposition for such a long time that the Syrian regime has drowned part of it in blood and the remainder has been radicalized enough in their ruthless Islamic campaign, where there is no shortage either of beheading or the crucifying of opponents, that they aren't able to halt the armed forces of the unified Iraq."

I have two closely related questions:

2) What is the word "jej" doing in the clause "že jej v jeho krutém islamistickém tažení"? Is "jej" the accusative or genitive of "Bílý dům", "tamní režim" or "islamistické tažení" or something else entirely?

Děkuji předem!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Hi TT, pretty good translation.

"Jej" (accusative of "on") refers to zbytek (syrské opozice). Note that the subject of "není schopna zastavit" is "armáda současného Iráku", which is in the nominative. And the army is not able to stop "it" (jej" - zbytek (syrske opozice, který se zradikalizoval ...). If "armáda současného Iráku" were the object (which someone else couldn't halt) it would have to be in the accusative case.