1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Άγαμοι θύται

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by anastasia0000, Dec 6, 2012.

1. anastasia0000 Senior Member

New York
    French
    Hello everyone,

I saw the phrase, «Άγαμοι θύται» in the comments section of the article «Ερωτηματικά της ΕΛ.ΑΣ για τη βόμβα στα γραφεία τη βόμβα στα γραφεία της Χρυσής Αυγής». I have not found the definition, and I am not sure if this is Katharevousa?

Thanks a lot!!

Anna

2. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

OK..., let's take it from the start...

It sounds archaic but I don't know if it is a regular Katharevousa phrase (well, I'm sure it isn't).

The first word is the nominative plural masculine of the adjective άγαμος/άγαμη/άγαμο which means unmarried.
    The second word is the nominative plural of the noun θύτης (lit. the one who creates a victim, aggressor, victimizer, bully). Here is the Katharevousa-sounding part, as the word should have been θύτες (if it were in the Demotiki).
    So the phrease means unmarried victimizers right?

Well, not really.
    You see the phrase is a play of words.
    When read without a pause between the words it sounds *exactly* like the phrase :warn:α γαμηθείτε:warn: which means :warn:go fuck yourselves:warn:. It was the name of a comedy troupe that gave shows all over Greece a few years back and I guess it's a clever way of saying something very rude without being accused of anything....

3. Eltheza

Eltheza Senior Member

Worcestershire, UK
    English - England (Midlands)
    Υπέρ ρουχα (feeble attempt at a pun in Greek):D!

This is wonderful - really made my day:)!

Thank you, Tassos!

4. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    I must admit I didn't get it till Tassos' explanation. :)

5. anastasia0000 Senior Member

New York
    French
    Thank you Tasso :D