1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Όσο είναι καλά, θα έρχεται κάθε καλοκαίρι στην Ελλάδα

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by panettonea, Aug 6, 2013.

1. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    The sentence in the title is translated as "He feels so good, he will be coming to Greece every summer" in the Web page below:

http://moderngreekverbs.com/home.html#babiniotis/lexicon

My question: Would "As long as he is well, he will be coming to Greece every summer" work too? I'm starting to realize that a lot of "translations" I see of Greek on the Web aren't necessarily accurate, so I don't know if the one on that Web page is correct or not.

Also, is καλά considered an adjective or an adverb in that sentence?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. ireney

ireney Modistra

U.S.A.
    Greek Greece
    Hi, you are right in questioning this translation since it's quite wrong. The sentence does indeed say "as long as" meaning "for as long as".

"He feels so good, he will be coming to Greece every summer" would be something like "Αισθάνεται τόσο καλά που θα έρχεται στην Ελλάδα κάθε καλοκαίρι."

3. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    Thanks, ireney. I guess that Web site is maintained by someone who is a native speaker of English, not Greek. I think I'll start questioning every translation I run across on the Web from now on. :)

OK, that makes sense. I figured that there needed to be a τόσο in there somewhere. ;)

4. klitosp Junior Member

Griego
    The correct is:
    " Όσο είναι καλά, θα έρχεται στην Ελλάδα κάθε καλοκαίρι" =
    "As long as he is well, he will be coming to Greece every summer"

"Για όσο είναι καλά, θα έρχεται στην Ελλάδα κάθε καλοκαίρι" =
    "For as long as he is well, he will be coming to Greece every summer"

and

"He feels so good, he will be coming to Greece every summer"
    "Αισθάνεται τόσο καλά (Αισθάνεται περίφημα), θα έρχεται στην Ελλάδα κάθε καλοκαίρι."

Ηράκλειτος