1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Αγάπη μου, έρωτα μου

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by dusica, Sep 17, 2007.

1. dusica

dusica Junior Member

Belgrade,Serbia
    Serbian,Serbia
    I'm trying to understand a difference between αγάπη and έρωτας.
    So, I'm wondering is there any difference between being called αγάπη μου and έρωτα μου?

2. Tetina

Tetina Senior Member

Athens
    Greece / greek
    Hello, dusica.
    difficult even for those that they feel it:)
    Αγάπη is the most general kind of love. Your parents, your friends or anybody close to you (including your boyfriend/girlfriend) can call you "Αγάπη μου".
    Έρωτας is "in love". It's the passionate love that lovers feel for each other. Nobody can call you "Έρωτα μου" except your couple and it's indicating strong passion/disire with love.

Take a look at http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=516114&highlight=kapsoura. Not the same word but surely a wide discription of this feeling was made in this post.

3. balgior Senior Member

Greece/Greek
    Hello!

I think Tetina was quite clear! It is the "passion" that makes all the difference.
    Think of it like this: "Έρωτας" is what a new couple feels for each other: passion and a strong feeling to see/touch (/smell etc ;) ) each other, even if they've been apart for just a few minutes. :D But after 20 years of marriage, only "Αγάπη" is left between them!

αγάπη = love
    έρωτας = in love

4. anthodocheio

anthodocheio Senior Member

Haha! ONLY love???

But, yes! I think you two describe the diference between the two very well.

Well, in any case is far more common to hear "αγάπη μου" from your special loved one...

5. dusica

dusica Junior Member

Belgrade,Serbia
    Serbian,Serbia
    Thank you all so much! :)
    Would then αγάπη be a real, deep love (between lovers) vs passion?

6. anthodocheio

anthodocheio Senior Member

Αγάπη means love. Love in general. Between parents and children, God's for people, between lovers, love for animals, nature...

But yes. Is the real, deep love. Is not the passion. If one day you claim you love someone and the other day you don't, well, then it never was love.. Right?

7. pavlo

pavlo Junior Member

Athens
    greek
    "Erotic" vs "Love". If u participate in a sexual act, u're making "έρωτα" but not "αγαπη". If u're a christian u "αγαπας" your fellow man not "ερωτευεσαι". The best is making "έρωτα" with a person who "αγαπας", not a stranger....

8. dusica

dusica Junior Member

Belgrade,Serbia
    Serbian,Serbia
    Ok, I think I understood it perfectly now. :)
    Ευχαριστώ πολύ!