1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Βούτυρο στο ψωμί;

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by adber010, Nov 25, 2012.

1. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    Can someone please explain the meaning and use of this expression?

Cheers!

2. 7_against_Thebes

7_against_Thebes Senior Member

Αθήνα
    Greek
    We use it when we want to say that something is very easy to do. In english the equivalent expression is "piece of cake".

3. naras Junior Member

greek
    Well, if I may, there is a slight difference here as the context we use that phrase could reflect that:

An X person acts somehow or tells something, or an event just happened and all these happenings have an impact to another ones' behaviour (Y person) maybe or a potencial one.
    Someone third can say: '' I heard that person X made/said that.../''/ well, that was a ''butter to his bread''
    - ''βούτυρο στο ψωμί'' του.
    ( allow me to translate word by word, just to give you the sense - the possessive pronoun gives an indication for the person)

or '' I heard that person X made/said that.../''/ well, that was a ''butter to bread'' for Y person.

In overall: Just a sense of carelessness for someone, as an impact and/or a conclusion and/or a reflect of a previous procedure or a happening.

Hope this helps you better.

ps. ''piece of cake'' it is just to say ''πανεύκολο!'' > πολύ εύκολο!

4. naras Junior Member

greek
    Just to add: Carelessness in sense of ''possessed or caused without effort'' - an easiness.

5. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    Thanks for the ambitious explanation Naras!:) However, I'm not quite sure that I follow you correctly. As far as I know the expression "piece of cake" isn't just an exclamation but can be used, seemingly, in the same sense you're proposing; "to be a piece of cake for someone". Or have I misunderstood??:eek:

6. ireney

ireney Modistra

U.S.A.
    Greek Greece
    It's main use is that X, by his actions or words or whatever, provides help (without meaning to) to someone he's opposed to.

An example X is always bad mouthing Y.
    Friend of Y says to her. "You really should stop complaining about your husband. Can't you see it's butter on the bread of X?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  7. naras Junior Member

greek
    Though ambitious, not enough correct.
    I think ireney said the exact meaning - Thank you ireney, you ''saved'' my intention to and my english;)

Now adber010 you understand that ''piece of cake'' it is something else/
    This expression is nothing more or less than this: ''easy to do''
    Easy to do for you or for someone else.

Mom said '' you should do your math exercises now''
    ''Hej, this is just a piece of cake for me, I will do it prompty'' I reply...
    !

8. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    "Το χ είναι βούτυρο στο ψωμί της Τρόικας" would mean " x gives ammunition to the Troika"(metaphorically speaking).

It can also be conveyed by "to hand something to somebody on a plate". Why didn't you give us the complete Greek sentence adber so we could help you better?

9. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    I agree velisarius. Funnily enough the expressions you've provided above were the same ones that came to mind when I was reading the thread earlier today but I couldn't post at the time.:)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  10. BrendaP Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Adding fuel to the fire?

11. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    'Grist for the mill'?

12. naras Junior Member

greek
    Ok, equivalent for ''βούτυρο στο ψωμί'' in british?

A close one, it's ammunition but not a full expression with such meaning...

13. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    I think I got it! Thanks!:)

14. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    "Grist to/for the mill" is definitely applicable in many cases. One other idiom that could be useful is "to give fodder".

15. naras Junior Member

greek
    Many thanks