1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Επικοινωνιακό σόου;

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by adber010, Nov 10, 2012.

1. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    I came across this phrase and have some trouble translating it. Maybe it is my english, but I doesn't feel right to translate it literally. So I figure it must have some special meaning. My guess for translation would be "PR-show" or something...

Context:

Επικοινωνιακό σόου η σύσκεψη των αρχηγών.

Επικοινωνιακό σόου ετοιμάζει μέσα στη Βουλή η Χρυσή Αυγή

Cheers!

2. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    You're right, something like that. Perhaps also "show for the media" or "PR/publicity stunt"

3. Timothy1987 Junior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    English - Australia
    How embarrassing, they actually use 'σόου'.

4. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    No not embarrassing in the sense that you mean Timothy. There are any number of Greek words that could be used, eg. παράσταση. I could take a guess at the reason for the choice of the foreign word here but would rather hear from a native speaker.

5. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    Thanks for the answers!!

6. Perseas Senior Member

Athen
    Griechisch
    I agree with shawnee. "Παράσταση" could be a synonym of "σόου" , but "επικοινωνιακή παράσταση" as a set sounds very strange to me. Besides, in "σόου" I can feel some sort of irony, which I can't see in "παράσταση".

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Yes, a certain mocking tone is a acquired by using the foreign word. Thanks for the confirmation Perseas.

8. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    Haha, well, that makes a lot of sense since I first heard this phrase from an interview with Ηλίας Κασιδιάρης. So I agree with the irony. Thanks! Να είστε καλά!