1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Ευχαριστώ τα μάλα

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by cougr, Jul 27, 2009.

1. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Saw this expression on another post and am guessing that it means thanks immensely or something similar. I am also wondering if this is a slang term ,a modern term or is it some form of archaic Greek? I'm just surprised that I've never encountered it before.

2. Δημήτρης

Δημήτρης Senior Member

Κύπρος - Cyprus
    Cypriot Greek
    (Ευχαριστώ) τα μάλα (one λ)
    It's an adverb meaning "πάρα πολύ".

Other common phrases with τα μάλα are: βαριέμαι τα μάλα, συμφωνώ τα μάλα, με ενδιαφέρει τα μάλα, στηρίζω τα μάλα.

My generation first encountered this expression via a TV show portraying the life of the archaiopliktos* professor Konstantinos Katakouzinos and his roommate Eleni Vlahaki, but nowadays it's part of the standard / mildly-slangy vocabulary. Probably older members on this forum can provide more help on the actual usage.

*What's the English for archaiopliktos?

3. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Thanks Dimitri. Appreciated the additional phrases that you provided.As for your query ,perhaps you should begin a new thread .This would be in accordance with the rules.

4. Naja9 New Member

Greek
    Hello, cougr!
    "Ευχαριστώ τα μάλα" means something like "thank you immensely", as you very well put it. It's not slang at all. The word "μάλα" derives from the ancient adverb "ευ" (=καλά) and its comparatives: μάλλον (=better), μάλιστα (=best). It comes from the superlative "μάλιστα": "μάλιστα - μάλα", and means exactly the same thing, but it's shorter. It's used with an article because it took the form of a noun in plural, only that it's not conjugated (since it's really an adverb). Nowadays, people with a knowledge of ancient greek, or archaic greek, use it very often in order to give a variety in extending their many thanks to someone. Although it is and sounds archaic many youngsters picked it up because it's heard so often by the elders. Thus, our friend Δημήτρης says it's kind of slangy to use it today. Well, it's not.

5. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Hello and welcome to the forum, Naja9!

I really appreciate your input and am looking forward to reading more of your posts in the future!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013