1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Μικρό Χωριό Τήλου

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Άσχημη Κούκλα, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Άσχημη Κούκλα

Άσχημη Κούκλα New Member

Serbian
    Hi everyone! :)
    I'm translating a book from Greek and I don't know what to do with this village, whether to leave it as "Mikro Horio" or to translate it as "Small Village/City (of Tilos)"?
    Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Γειά σε όλους!
    Μεταφράζω ένα βιβλίο από τα ελληνικά και δεν ξέρω τι να κάνω με αυτό το χωριό :) να το αφήσω σαν "Mikro Horio" ή να το μεταφράσω σαν "Small Village/City (of Tilos)";
    Ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ εκ των προτέρων!

2. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    It might depend on what kind of book this is, I mean what kind of detail the reader expects to find. Assuming this is a novel, the names of towns and villages are usually just transliterated (Mikro Horio) or (Mikro Chorio), preferably with the accents on the "o"s to aid pronunciation. "City" for such a small place is completely inappropriate. Well-known towns are given the name known to the reader (Athens) unless you want more couleur locale and go for transliteration.

If you want the reader to know what Mikro Horio means, it can be added in parenthesis or as a footnote.

If you supply more information, you could have a better answer.:)

3. Άσχημη Κούκλα

Άσχημη Κούκλα New Member

Serbian

Well the whole book is about dialects spoken in different parts of Greece. Thank you very much, I also think that the best thing would be to leave it as "Mikró Horió".:)

4. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Well then, maybe "Mikrό Horiό, a village on the island of Tilos".