1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ένας δικός μου άνθρωπος

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by alfie1888, Jul 1, 2013.

1. alfie1888

alfie1888 Senior Member

Kent, England
    English - England
    ...and similarly just ο άνθρωπός μου, what does this mean exactly?

My guess would be "a close friend", perhaps? Or would that be more ένας στενός μου φίλος?

In the past I've found the translation as "one of our own" but I've never really understood what that means and the contexts in which I needed a translation for it that didn't fit! For context, I remember a Protopsalti song called ο Άγγελός μου ;).

Thanks in advance, guys!

2. karabalino New Member

Greek
    Well, since you are referring a song, try listening to ''You 're my man'' by Lynn Anderson. The title is the exact translation of ''είσαι ο άνθρωπός μου'' -and the song's lyrics could not explain it any better-. In greek, a man and a woman, would both say ''ο άνθρωπός μου'' referring to their partner in life, and they would not make a distinction like it is done in english ''my man'' or ''my woman''. The phrase does not mean a close friend, not a best friend either. It is used to say that someone is our partner in life -meaning always someone we are romantically invloved with-. Now there is also another case of using the phrase: it is when we are searching for a person -usually speciallizing in something in particular- in order to help us out. So, imagine the following contexts:

- Ψάχνω για έναν έμπειρο καθηγητή αγγλικών για να κάνει μάθημα στην κόρη μου.
    - Νόμίζω ότι είμαι ο ανθρωπός σου.

The second person claims that he is the man for the job, saying 'I think that I am your man'.

- Θα ήταν ωραία να βρίσκαμε ένα άτομο που να ξέρει καλά από υπολογιστές.
    - Η φίλη μου η Δέσποινα, είναι ο άνθρωπός μας.

The second person suggests his/her friend as the most suitable person.

Another case, a little bit different than the previous two, would be:

Ο άνθρωπός μας βρίσκεται αυτές τις μέρες στο Λονδίνο.

Here, it could mean, 'our associate', 'our liaison', or even 'our target'(!). In general, it means, 'our current person of interest' (of whatever interest may that be).

Finally, to solve your initial question, ''ένας δικός μου άνθρωπος'', refers, as you said, to a very close friend, to a beloved relative, to someone you trust.
    We say for example,

Είναι ωραίο να περνάς τα Χριστούγεννα με τους δικούς σου ανθρώπους.

It is nice to spend Christmas time with your own people. (meaning your family, relatives, or maybe close friends, and in general the ones that you want to spend this time with)

Mind however, that, said with the indefinite article (ένας δικός μου άνθρωπος) it is not used to mean 'one of us' or 'one of our own kind', which in this case would be ''ένας από μας'' (ένας από εμάς*) or, in everyday (nearly slang) speech: δικός μας/δικιά μας* . If only used with no article at all, then it could mean that one. example: Two people in a room, a third one walks in and says to one of them:

- Θα ήθελα να σου μιλήσω ιδιαιτέρως για τον καινούργιο διευθυντή. I would like to talk to you in private about the new manager.
    - Σ' ακούω. Η Μαρία είναι δικός μας άνθρωπος. I'm listening. Maria is trustworthy.

The second person encourages the first to speak his/her mind freely, since the third person present, is to be trusted. She is not a relative, maybe not even a friend, but simply ''δικός μας άνθρωπος'' and will not tell a word of what she is about to hear.

I.e.: definite article (ο δικός μου/μας άνθρωπος): very sentimental, referring to a very special person **
    indefinite article (ένας δικός μου/μας άνθρωπος): one of my/our beloved/trusted/special people in life
    no article at all (δικός μας/μου άνθρωπος): ''one of us'', but in a sense of a trustworthy person, not as part of a particular group (the latter has already been stated above how it would be translated*) Mind one last thing: the slang expression δικός
    μας/δικιά μας is used both ways, for instance, in
    the last example, the second person could have
    very easily -and perhaps most probably- say:
    Η Μαρία είναι δικιά μας. (Winking at the first one!)

** (However saying 'ο άνθρωπός μου' would be probably stronger as an expression, and certainly more used. Besides, it also includes the sense of romantic involvement, whereas 'ο δικός μου άνθρωπος' does not.)

I hoped this helped.

3. alfie1888

alfie1888 Senior Member

Kent, England
    English - England
    Wow. I could not have asked for a better explanation! Thank you so much! Σ' ευχαριστώ πάρα, πάρα πολύ!