1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ανάγνωση

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by adber010, Feb 28, 2013.

1. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    I just read an article about the major weight-loss of the actor Matthew McConaughey:

"...Ο ρόλος φυσικά και απαιτεί την εικόνα ενός μη υγιούς ανθρώπου, σε άμεση αντίθεση με την εικόνα του McConaughey που έχουμε συνηθίσει στις περισσότερες ταινίες του, αλλά ο ζήλος με τον οποίο έχει σκύψει πάνω από την απώλεια βάρους έχει και δεύτερες αναγνώσεις."

How should the highlighted part be translate? I doesn't really make sense to me...

2. 18457# New Member

Greek
    Hi adber10,

Sometimes, when you read something for the first time, you see the obvius, but if you read it again a little more carefully you are able to understand more, so this phrase, 'έχει και δεύτερες αναγνώσεις' means there is something behind (probably something not obvious).

In generally, says that McConaughey lost weight not only for his role in the movie, but implies that there are some other reasons beside that, for example, he wants to advertise his move and make the press talk about it, or he has health issues.

Παρακάτω αναφέρω την ίδια φράση σε άλλη πρόταση για να σε βοηθίσει να καταλάβεις το νόημα:
    με μια δεύτερη ανάγνωση η ίδεα σου δεν είναι τόσο κακή
    (σημαίνει πως στην αρχή τη θεώρησα κακή, αλλά τωρα που το ξανασκέφτομαι αναλυτικότερα αναθεωρώ)Hope this helped

3. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    In terms of a translation, here's a few thoughts:

It has a second/deeper layer (of meaning/interpretation) to it
    There's a second/deeper layer at play
    There is something more/further that can be read into it
    There's more to it/at play here/going on (than meets the eye)

Edit: and in a different context: upon deeper inspection, upon (deeper) reflection.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    Ah! Greatness! Thanks a lot for clearing that up!

5. greekuser New Member

Greece
    Greek
    Also: different readings/interpretations, can be read in different ways