1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

βγαίνω (medio passive Conjugation - Αόριστος)

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Ntwson, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Ntwson

Ntwson Junior Member

Γεια σας!
    I wonder the verb βγαίνω in the Αόριστος of medio passive voice. Since πληρώνω becomes πληρώθηκα and αγοράζω becomes αγοράστικα, I tried some combinations like βγήκα and βγαίνω + steams -θηκ-, -φτηκ-, -φθηκ-, -(αυ/ευ)τηκ- and many others which are typical of the Αόριστος + ending -α) in some sites but I got no answer.
    If you are a native Greek, I tell you the more you want to teach (please!) the most I want you to write about it because I just love this beautiful language and I have tried to learn it as my second language. Some years later and I will be writing it all in Greek. Believe me!
    Ευχαριστώ! :)

2. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    The v. βγαίνω doesn't have passive voice at least in proper Greek (*). The αόριστος is βγήκα (irregular).

(*) Well, we have the composite v. ξεβγαίνω, ξε-βγαίνομαι, ξε-βγάλθηκα (I rinsed myshelf), but this is an exception. I cannot think now of any other similar composite.

3. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    In my Greek, "rinse (someone)" is ξεβγάζω (not *ξεβγαίνω) and "rinse oneself" is ξεβγάζομαι; the respective aorist forms are indeed ξέβγαλα and ξεβγάλθηκα..
    But there is no doubt that μπαίνω, βγαίνω, ανεβαίνω, κατεβαίνω etc., being intransitive, do NOT have a passive voice at all. The aorists μπήκα, βγήκα, ανέβηκα... are ACTIVE, despite their form. Even υπερβαίνω (=exceed) and παραβαίνω (=contravene, break (a law)), despite being clearly transitive, are not used in the passive.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. bearded man

bearded man Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    If xevgala is the aorist of xevgazo, where does the l (lamvda) come from? Anything to do with ancient 'ekballo'?

5. joeydim Junior Member

Greek
    It has nothing to do with εκβάλλω. The root word for βγάζωis βαίνω while the root word of εκβάλλω is βάλλω. Έβγαλα is just the past tense.

6. Perseas Senior Member

Athen
    Griechisch
    According to Prof. Babiniotis etymological dictionary:
    Whereas the present tense βγάζω comes from the ancient verb εκβιβάζω, the aorist έβγαλα comes down to the medieval βγάλλω < εβγάλλω < anc. εκβάλλω.

7. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    Manifestly, there has occurred a sort of cross-contamination between the ancient verbs βάλλω (aorist έβαλον, aorist subjunctive βάλω) and βιβάζω.
    The simple verbs gave our modern verb βάζω, aorist έβαλα, subjunctive (να) βάλω.
    With the prefix εκ-- we got βγάζω / έβγαλα / (να) βγάλω
    Other compound verbs follow the βιβάζω paradigm: μπάζω/έμπασα, ανεβάζω/ανέβασα, κατεβάζω/κατέβασα...

The corresponding intransitive verbs come from ancient βαίνω: μπαίνω (from εμ-βαίνω), βγαίνω (from εκ-βαίνω), ανεβαίνω...

Moreover, a great many verbs were re-borrowed into the language in modern times, without having been in continuous use thorough the centuries. Those are closer to the ancient forms:
    - αναβάλλω (=postpone), aorist ανέβαλα , aorist subjunctive (να) αναβάλω [with just one λ, as opposed to the present that has two]
    - επιβάλλω (=impose), aorist επέβαλα , aorist subjunctive (να) επιβάλω [with just one λ, as opposed to the present that has two]
    - διαβιβάζω (transmit), aorist διαβίβασα, aorist subjunctive (να) διαβιβάσω [not to be confused with διαβάζω=read, nor with διαβάλλω=slander]
    etc.

8. klitosp Junior Member

Griego
    My friend Ntwson, this is your answer:

The aorist of the following verbs is:

βγαίνω : βγήκα ( come out , go out , get out , exit )
    βγάζω : έβγαλα ( take off , take out , remove )

πληρώνω : πλήρωσα
    πληρώνομαι : πληρώθηκα (passive voice)

αγοράζω : αγόρασα
    αγοράζομαι : αγοράστηκα (passive voice) ( ο πίνακας αγοράστηκε από τον παππού μου πριν από 50 χρόνια )

I hope I helped you

Ηράκλειτος